winterdog52

Pros and Cons of Window with Built in Blinds

winterdog52
10 years ago
We are replacing our window and would like to know your opinion of window that have built in blinds.

Comments (47)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Never have to clean the blinds.
  • winterdog52
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you.
    A friend of mine said she still cleans them about every two years.
  • Related Discussions

Blinds or Curtains on gable end windows?

Q

Comments (41)
    Hi Nikki, we went with Thomas Sanderson blinds and originally went with the manual version but they didnt work very well so they upgraded our blinds for free to the battery operated version and they are great. Not 'blackout' as advertised but still pretty good. We paid around £4000 I think but if we were to have paid for the battery blinds it would have been £7500. Wish there was a better option but they seemed to be our only choice that would ensure our view was unobstructed and the room was dark. Hope that helps!
    ...See More

Ensuite window dressing and towel rail

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi, This is a beautiful bathroom, really luxurious! At Bloc Blinds we have a couple of stylish solutions you might be interested in. As daylight is essential in a bathroom you'll love how our blinds fit neatly into your window's recess optimising the amount of light flooding in. I would suggest a dim out roller blind in a clean crisp white fabric. This is a great option for allowing in daylight and the view of the trees whilst creating a privacy barrier between you and your neighbours. Image below is Frost White, swatches; Flower White, Spring Twig White. Here's a link to our full range of whites and simple looks with our award winning Fabric Changer Roller Blinds. We also have a wide range of Bloc Out fabrics to give more privacy should you wish. Our unique award winning Fabric Changer Roller Blinds allow you to change your look in an instant. For further advice or support on how to install don’t hesitate to contact our team at info@blocblinds.com and we’ll be happy to help. Good Luck! Sile
    ...See More

Curtains on a track or roman blinds on bay window?

Q

Comments (20)
    That many blinds would be a pain to open and close on a daily basis. You'd likely end up leaving some of them closed permanently which would cut the light enormously. Consider curtains that hang from the flat wall above the archway, in front of the whole bay window. When open they could hang on either side of the opening, meaning no loss of light. It would definitely make the room smaller when closed but would be a lovely 'wall of fabric', closing off any clutter on your dressing table.
    ...See More

Bifold or Sliding doors dilemma?

Q

Comments (20)
    We decided on a sliding door ( 1 fixed panel plus one sliding) for our 4.2m wide opening in our soon to be built house. This worked for us as we didn't want too much frame to block our view. I will have a table to be positioned fairly near the fixed panel. Most of all it was because I could control our dog going in and out by varying the opening...he likes to sit by our present sliding door and put his look out thru the gap and look out! Make sure you get a handle/locking system that's robust, some of the ones I looked at seemed really fiddly and a bit fragile for a triple glazed 2m wide door that's used a lot.
    ...See More
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    At the window show fair we went too the blinds were built in in energy efficient windows. To be energy efficient the windows will need to be air tight. Thus, the blinds shall never become dirty.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Another way : Even though the Blinds are in a sealed environment they can in theory can be discolored solely by them receiving sunlight. For example, perfectly white blinds may be changed by sunlight to something off white. But, i'm operating on theory here solely...I have no observational personal experience
  • Rivkah Bergman
    10 years ago
    I am optimistic the blinds can stay the same color with the proper treatment before installing them into the glass?
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    @winterdog52...the blinds we seen were enclosed within 2 panes of glass (energy efficient windows for our future sunroom). Does your friend have windows like these ? And if so, how is it possible that your friend can clean them ?
  • winterdog52
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you. I have no idea all I know is what she said. Have you seen blinds in sliding patio doors?
  • ispoildogs
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Merry McMahon, how do you wash the inside of the glass if it is thoroughly sealed? I am confused :(
  • Merry McMahon
    10 years ago
    Ours are not permanently sealed, there is a way to unlatch them from the inside so they can be opened. You might check into this as I would always want a way to access the "insides" - what if a blind broke and had to be replaced?
  • pegjustpeg
    10 years ago
    My friend just bought the Pella 3 pane with blinds inside. The inside pane comes out so you can get to the blinds. They aren't installed yet. She also bought their French doors with blinds.
  • ispoildogs
    10 years ago
    I was wondering what happened if a blind broke, thanks for clearing that up!
  • PRO
    Delmarva Blinds & Shutters
    10 years ago
    cleaning and repairs are the biggest issues.
  • jrh4
    9 years ago

Even though this is may be way too late, I also purchased the Pella that has a slider to open and clean blinds. But I have had them for 7 years and never had to clean yet. I had a huge problem with dust before. They are wonderful. The problem (a little) is a portion of the sun light will be blocked but I went for light beige blind which keeps it brighter..

• winterdog52
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We will be finally replacing our windows in a few months and I must say Pella is looking the best.

• pegjustpeg
    9 years ago

Good choice! Pella triple pane with blinds inside.

• juudean
    9 years ago
    Love our Pellas with blinds inserted. We have a lot of them! Very pleased with the energy efficiency too!
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago

juudean, i bet they also are great at keeping out outside noise ?

• juudean
    9 years ago
    Curt- we live in rural Virginia, so not much noise to block out!

The blinds are behind an additional snap-in pane of glass, adding a third layer to the double-paned argon-filled layers. The third pane is removable for cleaning and blind maintenance (if needed). Glad to have the blinds, most days we have to close them late afternoon to keep out the sun setting in the west...to prevent fading.
  • jhnovak27
    8 years ago

Instead of blinds inside the glass and having to deal with cleaning the blinds, i suggest looking at smart film by Wheellok which switches from translucent to clear with the flip of a switch...easy to clean, gives privacy when you want it plus gives you 98% UV protection and utilities savings through reduced heat from the sun....check out their website at www.smart-film.ca just send them the measurements...they ship all over....

• cmaugust
    8 years ago

We would like to use this type of window inside a shower that may be splashed on quite frequently. Will the handle mechanism rust or ruin if it gets wet,

and what about possible mildew and mold starting to grow from any moisture getting inside?

• juudean
    8 years ago
    I've noticed that the inside of the third pane gets a bit of a film of dust which tells me that they are not air tight...probably prone to letting in moisture as well.
  • winterdog52
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would be concerned about any window located in the shower, esp it is wood. I am remembering a house we lived that had a window in the shower. The varnish on the wood peeled and the wood did not look good. After a while we put a plastic blind over it -- that helped. Should have done it right away.

I agree with Juudean regardless of what you are told, the windows with blinds inside are not airtight. I opened mine several time as I was trying to create different slant on the bottom versus the top.

I am also surprised at how much can be seen from the outside if the miniblinds are not totally closed. Anyone have any great ideas for how to position the blinds to allow only limited viewing from the outside and yet get light in?

• cxcskier
    8 years ago

My wife and I recently went to Pella to look at the blinds inside the window. We found the little metal piece you use to raise and lower the blinds/shades, NOT to move easily, quite a bit of resistence, has that been everyone else's experience?

• winterdog52
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have not had a problem with the slides on my windows ---10 totally slides. In July the windows will be a year old.

• Lisa Jurek
    7 years ago

We have Pella french sliding door with the blinds built in. They look beautiful, however, buyer beware. The blind in the right side door has broken 3 times over the past 12 years. The first 2 replacements were under the warranty, so we didn't have to pay for them. The same blind recently broke again, and one replacement blind costs 389.00. So, as long as you're under warranty, which is 10 years, you're good. After that, be prepared to get soaked for the replacement.

• PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    7 years ago

In the UK the integral blinds for folding doors are massively popular. There are only a few manufacturers of these the for reliability and quality you need to shop around. Pellini are the worlds largest designer of these blinds and they are made by their approved manufacturers, Morley Glass of Leeds being one in the UK and the biggest. Visit most quality double glazing showrooms and its the Morley product you'll probably see.

With these blinds, quality is everything - you really do get what you pay for. There is no immediate drawback to these blinds other than some may find them more expensive when budgeting for their bifolds but the benefits they provide are excellent.

There are some comment on this website regarding discolouration and cleaning the blinds. This you can't do unless the glass unit is designed to be opened and the blinds cleaned. The integral blinds, between glass blinds, integrated blinds or however they may be referred to are in a hermetically sealed unit. You can't get to them, you can't clean them - that is the purpose of them.

In the unlikely event that the blinds fail, you have to replace the whole glass with the blind as it is one component.

It's also worth knowing that these blinds can be fitted to existing windows and doors. If you have older bifolding, sliding or french doors and even windows, there is no reason why you can't have integral blinds if you want them. As long as the unit is 24mm or wider, it should be fine. It'll mean new glass fitted with blinds.

Integral blinds fitted in the latest generation glass could even help to make your older windows far more energy efficient as well!

Hope this helps everyone, please do get in touch if you need help with these, where to buy and further information.

• Kim
    7 years ago

We got sliding glass doors replaced on our main level near the kitchen and in the basement walkout from a company called Power. They windows are energy efficient and have metal mini blinds sealed inside. They have been great and no issues whatsoever. They have a very good warranty and there is a security lock feature at the bottom that you can operate with your foot when closed or open slightly to prevent entry.

Once our neighbors saw ours, they started replacing theirs, too!

• PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    6 years ago

Do get in touch if you need any assistance with integral blinds.

• dip2012
    6 years ago

I have had Pellini Screenline blinds installed. They are very expensive, but unfortunately the service is appalling and the quality is not up to scratch. The blinds were sold to me as the best blinds on the market but the blinds were installed and I immediately noticed they weren't working correctly (e.g. didn't pull up level, with a notable drop on either side). I told the company that I wasn't happy and they came back to take a look, yet insisted that they were happy and showed no consideration to their customer... who was clearly very unsatisfied! I would definitely suggest going with an alternative company, who would be more considerate to your wants and needs!

• PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    6 years ago

When you say you 'told the company' was this the installer of the blinds or the manufacturer of the blinds, that being Morley Glass in Leeds? The company that sold you the blinds didn't make them, they bought them from Morley Glass, therefore if you are not happy with the blinds I would definitely get hold of the manufacturer and see if they can help you. It's quite rare to get problems with these products when made and (importantly) fitted/operated correctly.

• PRO
    Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
    6 years ago
    Can you still have screens on these windows if you want to open them? Maybe that's a dumb question...
  • User
    6 years ago

We just purchased Anderson e series hinged patio door with internal blinds. Anyone have reviews of them?

• Shyam Varsani
    6 years ago

I am based in India and looking for a supplier for the integral blinds. Is there any companies that do these in India?

• Zitin Kaul
    6 years ago

Hi Shyam, You can try Cora Windows, they're really nice. If you want, you can share your email id and I shall get you connected to them directly.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Mostly Pro's of course! :)

They are dust free, hygienic and maintenance free. They come in a wide range of contemporary colours, they are easy to operate with our magnetic system. They are ideal in rooms where blinds could get wet, such as kitchens and bathrooms.

Please let us know if you require any further info: https://behindglassblinds.co.uk/

• Sunny440@aol.com
    5 years ago
    How can a sealed door have broken a blind?
  • PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    5 years ago

Broken in what way? broken glass or broken blind?

• Lisa Oyama
    5 years ago

Question: My husband was just quoted a price of $1500 per standard size double hung window for Pella with blind inside - of which we would need 10! However - the double pane standard 6 ft sliding door with blind inside is only $788. Does this make sense? We will do some more research, I think the windows might be too expensive for us.

• Ken Mascola
    5 years ago
    We have the following unit for the past 6 years and the internal strings have broken strings. Note however that the patio door faces south however during spring summer and fall we usually 90 percent of the time) have a roll out awning that shaded the patio door from the sun. We are located in Ontario Canada
    I don’t want to get the same inglass blind however my wife does. I just don’t think the string material I sub resistant as well as it needs to be. Might explore polka since they have a replaceable blind unit but still don’t think a good option but jury is still out
  • Ken Mascola
    5 years ago
    Bra this has occurred with both of the sdoors the sliding one and the fixed one
  • windowcontractor
    4 years ago

Blinds between glass can be a great feature specifically with sliding patio doors. You need to pay attention to the warranty on the mechanism that tilts, turns and raises the blinds. If it breaks will the manufacturer make a whole new patio door panel for you which would be necessary. If you get a seal failure where fog gets between the glass, will that glass still be under warranty with blinds between them. It's very tricky dealing with manufacturer's warranties because they are not written in favor of the homeowner. They're written to protect the manufacturer from having to make free parts over and over again. Also, the service fee will be separate because no one's warranties cover service parts. Always ask your contractor for the Production Number assigned by the manufacturer to your order. This way should anything happen to your contractor you have the number that coincides with your order so the factory rep can look up the order immediately and pull up the bill of materials to get the part number quickly. Only the parts may come at no charge to you. Best of luck!

• PRO
    London Window Systems
    4 years ago

State-of-the –art motorised integral blind systems powered externally with nothing attached to the glass surface giving more sleak and comteporary finish.

Each individual BGB unit needs to be wired directly to the power source. Wireless contacts can be supplied when wiring through door and window frames.

Venetian or pleated versions available with full lifting operation at the push of a button.
    Integrate BGB units with a home automation interface using a KNX/EIB gateway – for more information about BGB Automated Control Systems

Available in any size up to 2800mm high (width resrictions apply) and 2500mm wide (height restrictions apply). Please note some glazing restrictions will apply on larger units

Full range of glazing options available including solar shading, low E, fire rated and noise reduction.

Standard units are 28mm thick when glazed with 4mm glass either side of the 20mm spacer bar.

Available in 10 colours

Hope this help

Fedz

• S Carr
    4 years ago

Our Pella sliding door controls were stiff initially. No problem now. My understanding is that the exterior double panes are gas-filled and insulated. The blinds sit behind that double pane with another piece of glass that closes over the blinds. That glass over the blinds opens & closes if necessary, but it is best not to open it. We have had them 10 years.
    For insulation purposes, the windows are considered triple pane. We almost never close the blinds. The blinds stay pulled up which means visually they block a bit of the window at the top.
    Our biggest complaint was not remembering which switch adjusted blinds so the glass covering the blinds would get partially opened (which lessened the benefit of the triple pane). There is no need to ever open the glass that covers the blinds from the inside.
    We have been very happy with our choice., but they were expensive. At the time , we got a tax credit because of the triple insulation.

• HU-380116918
    3 years ago

7what would cause condensation appear between panes, but dries up when inside panel is removed from Patio door?

• HU-380116918
    3 years ago

i wrote the above statement forgot to mention patio door is Pella and have had this problem for a couple of years.

• sarahellen64
    last year

CMAUGUST, Did you end up using this type of blinds between the windows in your shower? If so how did it hold up? We are considering the same thing.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.