alison_young4377290

Save me from spoiling my new kitchen!

Alison Young
9 years ago
Hi, you all did such a good job with advising me on my living room that I'm setting you loose on the kitchen. This is fairly new - as you can see the main cabinets are a kind of cappuccino colour ("cashmere" high gloss), with the top cabinets in Acacia grey wood, and the cabinets around the ovens in Anthracite grey. The worktops are in a white stone with small grey fleck.

I need to buy a new table and chairs, but can't decide whether to try to get something that blends with the wood, or a white table that blends with the worktop. The look I want in this kitchen is contemporary yet homely family space.

My personal preference would be a distressed wood, as I think that's more homely (and easier cleaned). I'm worried that if I go with a white high gloss table the whole kitchen will start to look too clinical - I'd like the vintage look on the table to balance it out. However, this corner can be quite dark, so is there a risk I'm going to darken it even more?

I have brought in a colour pop of burnt orange in the table pendants & a plant pot so far. I'm thinking of perhaps bright coloured chairs (potentially quite modern chairs), but don't want to go OTT and spoil the room.

My second dilemma is what colour of bar stools should I go for at the little coffee bar inset into the window? I had thought of burnt orange to match the lamps, but most of the orange stools I've seen are very bright orange which I don't like. Plus, when those lamps are on they actually look red, so then orange stools might look wrong at night. Overall I think they would look garish, so I'm thinking of white gas operated stools which I can lower to the correct height for the coffee bar.

Thoughts on table / chairs / stools colours please? I will post some types of tables I've been contemplating.

I am the Queen of 'not wanting to play it safe but not quite pulling it together', so your help is appreciated.

Comments (45)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.