laura_hewitt26

Art Deco fireplace dilemma

laura_hewitt26
8 years ago

We have bought an early 1900s house with lots of character and original features in need of full refurbishment. In the dining room there is an original light brown marble effect Art Deco fireplace which I do not particularly like but think it would be a shame to get rid of. I am looking for ideas onhow to design and decorate the room around it.

Comments (37)

• emersideas
    8 years ago
    There was a question posted yesterday " 1930's fireplace keep or replace" there is some nice ideas on it!
  • maria galvano
    8 years ago
    hi I love this fire place. play it up with deco revamp so different such a pity not to keep and love it
  • Related Discussions

Should I hang artwork on this wall?

Q

Comments (14)
    If you want your mirror to stand out or to create more of a feature why don't you paint the middle third of the wall a deep navy, darkish but warm grey or even a darker shade colour of your chest of drawers? Will make your fireplace & stove & mirror stand out. This will give it a bit more structure and depth.. but am liking it. Any finished pictures?
    ...See More

How to arrange furniture in living room and art above couch

Q

Comments (2)
    If you're keen to keep the existing furniture then the couches need to stay as they are - you can't block the opening or the cupboards. So the only option would be to change he actual furniture.
    ...See More

Fireplace tiles Art Deco/Arts and Crafts

Q

Comments (3)
    We have a very similar fireplace, it's Art Deco style. My husband glued them together as we struggled to find a match. Not perfect but good enough we felt, so have a go!
    ...See More

Art Deco Fire Surround

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Fiona, There's no tiles? I can't see any on the picture... What does the rest of your room look like in terms of style, colours, etc? Is it / will it be similar to your inspiration pictures? Personally I favour keeping architectural details as close to the original as possible so I would vote for restoration, and a bit of modernisation with the tiles and the colour of the wall. I do think that once restored it will be a beautiful piece and can be put forward with the rest of your decoration. Have a nice evening Mehdia
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. Do you have furniture or do you need to buy? Which way does the room face in terms of light? do you also have a picture of the whole room?

• fujimusume
    8 years ago

The received wisdom is that if something does not make you feel joy then do not keep it. I must admit, to my eyes, it's a bit of an ugly duckling. I had something similar in a rented house years ago -- I painted it flat matt black, which was an easier colour to live with than cream and brown tiles. Follow your heart.

• Sven
    8 years ago

You could re-tile the fireplace. If you cover the herring bone tiles with antique style delft tiles (or whatever you like) would really transform it.

• sam irwin
    8 years ago
    If it was me I would throw it in the skip with wallpaper and carpet sorry
  • ingabrereton
    8 years ago

In the short term at least why not go with it and go to any local auction and get some vintage deco furniture to go with it? it can be fabulous and glamorous.

Metropolis Fabrics and Wallpapers by Linwood Fabric · More Info

High End Modern Glamour Round Wenge Dining Table Set · More Info

• Jo Lamont
    8 years ago

I think it's beautiful! Please don't paint or re tile it. It would look fabulous with an ArtDeco dining suite & a mirror above. Keep your wall colour & window dressings simple & neutral.

• kelvinrharvey
    8 years ago

It can be removed intact, these fireplaces were constructed on a concrete form, usually in two parts, the base and the wall section. The base was cemented on the the original cement base once the hearth was removed, and the frontispiece held in place by cemented and or screwed tags, top and bottom each side, if this is the case they can be located using those small metal locators used for finding hidden pipes electrics. There may actually a possible buyer out there for this style, so don't just smash it off as a previous contributor suggested, at worst they make good garden decorations. Original to the house style fire places are available from any good salvage yard, checking out examples in similar houses may help, a walk early evening is a good way to get a random sample before the curtains are pulled over, otherwise just canvas the neighbours, for repro Stovax/Originalstyle based in Exeter would be a good place to start. Otherwise embrace it as part of you house history, but don't retile, never works and harks of Barry Bucknell 70's cover ups, and the best place for art deco interior restyles are for houses built in that period.

• gilliifer
    8 years ago

to the person who painted a tiled hearth in a rental property; not acceptable. I like the fireplace and would style it up with cool deco colours and some dark wood furniture, metallic touches in gold or copper, mirrors and flowers

• krissie13
    8 years ago

We had a art deco style fireplace in a flat that we have just reburshied. If it had been half as nice as this one it would still be there. Its beautiful.

• puffinrock
    8 years ago
    If you don't like it .... Remove it! It is a big dirty job and you do not want to do later on.
  • Rachel Oakes
    8 years ago

Personally, I love it. If you decorate the room around it, in an Art Deco style, as has been suggested it could be fabulous!

• heatherkeevill
    8 years ago

It's beautiful. Keep the room bright like decorate the room white and put some candles and nice green plants in the fireplace maybe in a beautiful copper pot. Don't rip it out. It's a beautiful feature. Even the mantelpiece is fantastic and you can stagger ornaments or candles along it. If you keep it and make it the centre piece everyone will comment on it.

• Sven
    8 years ago

The comments are a good mix of love - hate. Personally I hate it as it is too big and bulky looking, is in unfashionable brown and it will be difficult to decorate around it. It is also not original to a 1900's house, being a generation or so later.

If mine I would remove it and replace it with a smaller and more elegant piece that is not overbearing. That would make decorating the rest of the room much easier.

• Sue Fendt
    8 years ago

Honestly, I would keep it unless you want to spend some more money repairing the damage it would cause taking it out with regards to the floor etc and putting something else in its place. Personally, I would keep the room white (the textured wallpaper upsets me more than the fireplace), fling a couple of deco/mid century pieces in and some lovely artwork. I think you will notice it less and less unless the room is particularly small and it is taking up a huge amount of space.

• agee3
    8 years ago

We had our 1920s house refurbished and had the same dilemma about keeping or chucking out and are glad about insisting on keeping the things we did... Your fireplace is pretty different, so that alone is a reason to keep it 'alive'. I agree with all the reasons for keeping it and keeping it as is! Going back to our situation, we kept things and have a mixture of old and new and think it really works. Good luck!

• temple274
    8 years ago
    Do you need it as a fireplace? If not why not just stud out that section of wall, board and skim it so it's totally hidden. You might need to go to the right or left as well to give balance. Instead of wasting all the boxed in space you could create display niches or bookshelves within it. You would need to box in the raised hearth as well, but get it right, add cushions and you have a sitting ledge or more display space. Don't forget you would need a spot of ventilation for the flue if it's currently in use and would need capping off.
  • Pat Auld
    8 years ago
    I am not offering advice as so many opinions already. Just goes to show its a very personal thing. Try and imagine it with all the suggestions and if you still think you will never grow to appreciate it take it out.
  • ipend
    8 years ago

It's ugly... If you don't like it, get rid, I like Art Deco styles, but that fireplace hasn't much going for it, and will be difficult to decorate around, you will end up compromising your other decor to make it work.

• PRO
    Hand Built Designs
    8 years ago

Leave it in situ- work on the rest of the decor so that it doesn't fight with it. I think it has a certain charm about it- pity about the brown tones.

• Caren Bee
    8 years ago
    ok, ours is a cream and brown colour, but when we first bought our house I also thought it was ugly! but we decided to keep it, and 3 years down the line we are glad that we kept it. all fireplaces today look the same, but you have an original and unique focal point.
  • Emmanuelle
    8 years ago
    Not a fan of Art Deco... And find your fireplace quite bulky and not very good looking. If you don't like it, get rid of it. You could replace it by an original Victorian one, from a local salvo, which would suit your house better. Don't decorate a whole room around something you hardly like!!! Be brave and keep us posted!
  • gd11
    8 years ago

Unless you have got the furniture to go with it.....get rid of it! You could get a good price for it in the reclaimed building supplies or reclamation yard. It's best to start afresh with your own ideas, you might only regret it in the end, believe me then it's too late!

• laura_hewitt26
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks ever so much for all of the comments and advice, there is some real food for thought.

our dining furniture is quite modern solid oak so doesn't really go with the theme, can't really justify spending a fortune on a whole new set of furniture to compliment a feature I don't love, particularly if it isn't even original as suggested!

I'll have a think about the options suggested and keep updated...

• lucyrjb
    8 years ago
    We've got something similar and have kept it as it is original and tried to sort of decorate around it but it does dominate the room. I'm even more tempted to remove it having read all the helpful comments on this post. Thanks, Lucy
  • belsize
    8 years ago

I'm in the "it's ugly-take it out" camp, but you must decide what you love!

• Steve Challenger
    8 years ago

The hearth looks like it could do with a bit of a clean. Push the servant call button to the right of the fireplace and put the maid to work.

• PRO
    Yasmin Chopin Interior Design
    8 years ago

Hello @laura_hewitt26. You have the 'love it' and 'hate it' camp giving you lots of advice. When I work with clients I try to help them re-use, recycle or revamp rather than 'get rid' but it all comes down to two things: budget and personal taste. I'd be happy to help you come up with a solution that takes into account how much you want to invest in your property and how you want to live your life now, and in the future. If you would like to call me I will give you a quote for a 2 hour consultation - which may be all you need to get your project moving. My number is 07831 231 664. Best wishes Yasmin

• belsize
    8 years ago

I saw it. Loved the room update - still hated the fireplace I'm afraid.

• Joanna Biddolph
    8 years ago

The problem is the stark cold white walls against the soft warm browns of the fireplace. I don't recommend going all beige but try colours from the same warm spectrum as the fireplace and I think you'll find it looks more natural in the space. Also, the round candles don't work with the squares and oblongs of the fireplace; find other accessories that enhance rather than scream at the shapes and colours and that could make a huge difference. So could a mirror or picture above it - it would shift the focus so the fireplace doesn't dominate. Work with it, not against, then judge it. These fireplaces are handsome; trying to pretty them doesn't work.

• Jac Davidson
    8 years ago

You could look at having a single piece of wood or tin cut to size to cover the basket weave tiles. This would cause minimal damage to the fireplace and give you a modern twist on the fireplace to work around

• PRO
    Mauro Perucchetti Ltd
    8 years ago

This would make a great feature with the right surroundings. Have you thought of using natural venetian plaster to add colour and texture to this original fireplace?

Venetian plasters are easily applied and can add a luxurious feel to the room.

• PRO
    DESDEMONA POSTLETHWAITE
    7 years ago

I love your art deco fireplace, of its type I think it is best example I have seen. original period features are why we buy period houses. Sometimes fitting them into a contemporary interior can be hard but so worth it. May be some period light fitting would help.

• apismalifica
    7 years ago

Top pic - stunning lamp!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.