doumdoumette

blind/curtain dilemna

Lisa
6 years ago
Hi,

I am currently redecorating the two bedrooms in my house with bohemian feel and mid-century furniture. One bedroom is west facing, the other one is east facing. I am not sure which cover to use for the windows and I hope some of you could give me some ideas.

I need something that blocks the daylight quite well, especially for the East facing bedroom - I don't want my toddler to wake up at 4.30 am in summer ;-) (I am not as bothered for the West facing bedroom as it doesn't receive as much morning light).

but I would like to avoid black out curtains for the following reason: the windows are quite wide (2 metres wide) and I think a set of heavy black out curtains will look too bulky / heavy for these bedrooms that are not big.

I am not keen either in roller blinds (that's what we have at the moment), because 1) you can't control the amount of light you receive, it's either shut or open and when it's open, there is no privacy. 2) in the East facing bedroom, it doesn't cover the sides of the window and the strong morning light still manages to wake us up (see photo).

I was thinking of a combination of airy tie top curtains, and bamboo blinds for the natural look it gives but it might not be efficient enought to block the daylight in the East facing room? what do you think? I am also considering some kind of wooden shutter that 1) blocks the daylight well when completely shut 2) can be adjusted to let in the amount of light that you want. But I fear to loose the relaxed, not bulky look I want for the bedrooms. What do you think of these ideas? is there any thing else I could consider to give a natural, airy look to the bedrooms and that's efficient enough to block the daylight when needed?

I've attached some photos.

thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.