eviech

Dulux vs Farrow & Ball - is it really worth the extra money?

Evie C.H.
9 August, 2017

Hi Houzz Community,

I'd love your advice and to hear your experiences. Is it really worth the extra money to have Farrow and Ball or just go for colour match service from Dulux?

My sister is having her whole flat professionally painted, which is already a big expense, and I wonder if professionals might make Dulux look as good..?

Thanks!

Farrow & Ball
Dulux

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows

Neither, Little Greene is far better paint than both.

Evie C.H. thanked Traditional Sash Windows
  • A S
    F&B, in my opinion doesn't have great coverage. I've always used dulux or Johnstones and can't complain. Use Dulux Trade quality as opposed to of the shelf finish to get a better quality paint.
    Evie C.H. thanked A S
  • minnie101

I love F&B but would agree LG paint quality is superior and coverage is superb. You can apparently y get an exact match to F&B at Johnstones. They do a flat Matt (I haven't seen it) but may not be too dissimilar from estate emulsion. Dulux apparently match to their nearest colour. I've only tried it once but had actual F&B on the walls and matched for radiator paint and the colour was really out! Dulux also do some nice colours though and their trade paint is pretty good

Evie C.H. thanked minnie101
  • Evie C.H.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts! I heard about Little Greene, but it's SO expensive! Thanks for Johnstones recommendation, will check it out.

Any other experiences? Please share, I'd really appreciate it

• PRO
    Kia Designs

We find Dulux trade is a better quality paint, easier to maintain and fewer applications needed.

Evie C.H. thanked Kia Designs
  • PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions

I've recently come across e-paint, where they suggest closets match colours for F&B, Little Greene & RAL colours from alternative brands (http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp).

Evie C.H. thanked Oasys Property Solutions
  • Gerty Werty
    It has to be dulux trade.
    Evie C.H. thanked Gerty Werty
  • Evie C.H.

Thanks so much everyone.
    Johnstone's colour match sound good, and the painter approves of it.
    Any bad experiences with Johnstone's - not matching the colour well, bad coverage, bad wear...?
    Thanks again

• PRO
    colourhappy

Little Greene is the best paint I have ever used, plus they do oil eggshell which is lovely. I think their choice of colours is better than F&B.

Evie C.H. thanked colourhappy
  • Midcenturylass
    Little Greene is beautiful paint. If you're doing a big job and need to control budget tightly, might be worthwhile getting colourmatched trade paint, Johnstone's and Leyland are good. Your professional decorator should advise on what they enjoy using and what they see the best results from.
    Evie C.H. thanked Midcenturylass
  • LTS
    We're currently using F&B Strong White matched to Johnsons & would recommend.
    Evie C.H. thanked LTS
  • Evie C.H.

Lots of great advise, thank you! I think we're gonna go for Johnstone's matching it to F&B Slipper Satin and Setting Plaster. The decorator is familiar with it and thinks it's a good paint, so that seems reasuring

• PRO
    Kluk Construction Ltd

Lots of people now using Farrow & Ball colours mixed in Leyland SDM, as is cost effective. And to be honest in most cases people have to repaint walls now quiet often as matt finish is not durable at all.

Farrow & Ball in many cases have to be painted 3 coats or used with Farrow & Ball undercoat, and after few months when you will do touch up on them is visible under light.

From expensive paint companies " Paint and Paper Library " is quiet nice choice. In price of FB and Little Greene

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.