debonweb_100

Grey or wood kitchen worktop? Cannot decide!!

debonweb_100
17 February, 2016

I'm in the process of buying a house with a green laminate kitchen worktop and white units. I intend to replace the worktop. The thing is, I love both grey and wood equally with white and really can't decide which one to go for. I'm aware that wood takes more looking after but that shouldn't be a problem for me [I may even go for a decent quality wood effect in the end if I do decide on wood over grey].

I was totally convinced on grey a few days ago but as the kitchen floor tiles are in grey I began to wonder whether it may be too stark and that if I went for wood that would bring some warmth into the room.

A pic is attached for ref - sorry that it's rather grainy. I know it's mainly down to personal preference but I'm really having a true dilemma with this decision!!

Any ideas/thoughts/comments/suggestions gratefully received !

Thanks a lot.

Comments (19)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    I vote wood for warmth
    debonweb_100 thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • tamp75
    I love grey and white together but unless you're going to bring in colour through appliances, window dressing, etc, I'd prob go for wood to add some warmth. Having said that, I'd never have wood myself due to the upkeep!
    debonweb_100 thanked tamp75
  • minnie101

I also vote for wood. You have a draining board so the upkeep really won't be that bad. It also depends on how much you cook ie pastry making etc. just don't allow any liquid to sit on the wood and you'll be fine

debonweb_100 thanked minnie101
  • PRO
    JJ Acquisitions ltd

I love grey and white together too, but agree that there needs to be some pops of colour to bring some excitement. Wood is awesome, but maintenance is not ideal. We have just fitted off white cupboards, with grey tiles and grey work surface in the kitchen. We also fitted wood work surface in the utility but the doors were farrow and ball bone. Sorry about the mess, this end of the house not quite finished!

• PRO
    JJ Acquisitions ltd

This is a shot of the kitchen before moving day so there are no "pops" yet. This has 80x80 tiles, and amonite colour over the walls and the ceiling, we had to be quite careful as the other end of the kitchen is all exposed brick so didnt want to introduce too many variants. We are going for jazzy bar stools which will introduce the colour.

The Old CornStore · More Info

debonweb_100 thanked JJ Acquisitions ltd
  • laurz84
    I have square edged wood laminate and although you can tell it isn't real wood it does add warmth to a cream kitchen with grey patterned floor tiles.

The square edged looks more realistic and a bit more modern.
    debonweb_100 thanked laurz84
  • debonweb_100

Thanks everyone ....... helpful comments and I think I'll be going with wood. I'll definitely get my grey fix - but elsewhere in the house I think.

Cheers

D

• PRO
    ParkerRose Interiors

Go for wood on the worktop. It will be more maintenance than Laminate but will be a much nicer finish.

debonweb_100 thanked ParkerRose Interiors
  • Tani H-S
    I have a dark grey wood effect laminate and I love it! HOWEVER, my floor is a rich walnut and it warms the room up.

If your room feels cold then I would go for a rich wood top to compliment the grey flooring
    debonweb_100 thanked Tani H-S
  • cheeseminion72
    I have similar units - and went for a flat white worktop, however have an oak floor which warms it up - it's more about lighting and accents, a wood worktop in that volume would be a lot of work to keep good!
    debonweb_100 thanked cheeseminion72
  • cocolori

Sounds like you already made your decision but personally I would never go for wood if you like to cook a lot. House I bought already had wooden worktops and they're a pain - they stain easily and I have to be really careful to keep round the sink dry, they were already marked from hot pans (old lady before me) which was slightly better after sanding but still there. I love to cook with spices, beetroot etc. so when I'm next doing worktops it will be something un-stainable (mum and dad have granite which is really lovely!).

But since you said you have time for upkeep, from a purely aesthetic point of view wood would look better.

debonweb_100 thanked cocolori
  • debonweb_100

Thanks again to everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

I haven't quite made my final decision yet cocolori ! After reading more and more about the maintenance required to keep real wood looking good I've been doing some research into quality laminates and have rather fallen for Nobilia's wood effect worktops. Tani commented that she loves her wood effect laminate so perhaps that may be the way forward instead. I'm arranging to visit a showroom to see whether the Nobilia worktops look as good "in the flesh" as they do online.

Fingers crossed ......

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs

If you go for the wood I suggest a laminate, the real wood is very difficult to maintain. What is the style of the rest of your house? Is it modern or more comfy cosy? I think you should also paint the walls, I will recommend a colour based on your answer to the style of the house. Also, do you know what direction the kitchen faces? Thanks, Deirdre

• debonweb_100

Thank you Deirdre .... I'm not actually in the house yet, still in the buying stage and waiting for that seemingly endless conveyancing process to be finalised! It's a modern interior though and my style is also modern and uncluttered so when I do move in it will be styled in that way. From memory and what I can see in the photo I posted I think the walls are currently a light grey with white splashback etc tiles.

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs

Hi Deborah, In that case I would opt for the grey as it is a cleaner look as the style of the presses you have are more traditional. If you change the kitchen for a flat/slab door then I would consider the wood laminate as it does add warmth and is very easy to maintain (hides toaster crumbs etc.). The grey walls can stay, although, if it is north facing it could feel cold. Best of the luck with the purchase!! Keep us posted :)

debonweb_100 thanked Hepburn Designs
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd

Hello Deborah,

Personally I would go for the wood definitely and the real McCoy.... it's a beautiful material, natural, warm and inviting.. Have a look at this for some inspiration... It's fantastic! : ))

Here's another with bamboo which is equally warm and inviting..

debonweb_100 thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • thoughtful28
    We opted for grey granite work tops, Thailand Leather. I know I would not have treated wood the way it should be treated. We love our kitchen!
    debonweb_100 thanked thoughtful28
  • debonweb_100

Thanks again Deirdre ... oops ... I overlooked your question about the direction! The kitchen is south facing so it should be ok. I know what you mean about grey being a cleaner look and I do love it with white but was just thinking that it may all look too stark. Having said that I do have floor space for a good sized lime green rug that I own and if I had a window blind made in the same colour then perhaps that would work. I also have 3 lime green ceramic pots/vases which I love and they could sit on the windowsill too. That would then be enough colour accent to lift it I think. Oh decisions, decisions ... :)

Will post again once I'm in and have done the deed. Thanks to everyone again for your time.

• PRO
    Hepburn Designs

You are on the right track with thinking about the accessories.....or fairy dust as I like to call it. That is the secret to getting the wow!! Best of luck with everything!!

debonweb_100 thanked Hepburn Designs

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.