nmc_uk

Ground floor redesign: kitchen/ family diner/ flexible living space

nmc_uk
9 years ago
Hi Houzzers,
We are to renovate our ground floor. Currently the living room is separate. The dining room opens into the kitchen and also into the conservatory. A study at the front of the house is separate and closed off.

MY PLAN (proposals in red) is to introduce bi-fold doors between the living room and dining room. This is so we can open the doors for kids parties etc. The TV is to be mounted on the wall with an electric fire beneath it. This is to become an adult space once the kids go to sleep. Decor: clean, crisp whites/ greys, chromes. Splash of colour on curtains/ cushions/ rug. The WC is to be renovated to a high spec with some quirkiness. As we are fortunate to have travelled well, I was thinking a map of the world mural, not sure. For the dining room a large round table for family dinners and the addition of a breakfast bar or an island with an elevated bar in the kitchen. Decor: family orientated, bare brick walls, warmer tones, practical furnishings. The kitchen is 'ok' and I was thinking of just changing the door-fronts to save on cost. Although I'm not sure if that’s a good idea. Décor clean/ crisp/ high spec white/ chrome. The study will no-doubt double as a play room, and I did think it would be good to open this into the kitchen to keep an eye on the kids. The conservatory will double as a play/ arts/ music area. School work on the walls etc. An option would be to swap with windows for bi-fold doors out into the garden. Current doors on the side.

BIGGER plans are to extend the kitchen out to meet the conservatory..... although that blows the budget!

Your thoughts and opinions on the design and decor are much appreciated :)

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.