falcon_1980

Help, I hate my new carpet!

falcon_1980
4 years ago

Our new carpet was installed yesterday. I really don't like it. The sample looked like it would go with the F&B Drop Cloth colour on the units and ceiling, but in reality it clashes. It's too light for the room and ruins the cosy cocooning effect we wanted from the Inchyra Blue colour on the walls. Plus, it seems to have an insipid blue tinge to it.

Is there anything I can do? Would a rug of a particular colour help tie it all in? Should I move it to a different room and start again? Ahh!

For reference, we ideally wanted wooden floors, but couldn't afford to rip up the skirting and get the whole room redecorated in the process (we decorated the room before thinking about the floor....).

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments (33)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    I actually like it, I think possibly your problem with clashing is the colour above the green! It’s it was white I think it would balance out well, a rug would help but I just still get driven to the ceiling and top of the wall all the time.
  • falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I see your point. But .we like the Drop Cloth colour with the Inchyra. We tried out a lighter colour with it first, but it seemed far too harsh against the dark green. The carpet was supposed to match the Drop CLoth. Which it really seemed like it did from the sample. :(

• Related Discussions

I need help to design the dressing area of my new bedroom

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi there The best person to help you is a trained designer who can stand with you in the loft and go through your requirements point by point. In order to design well it's important to have a good understanding of the space. What is the Available headroom and slope? How the light comes in? What is your budget? What's going on in the rest of the house? Does the space as designed flow? How tall are you? How physically fit are you? Do you have young children? Where will the ironing board be? Do you like ironing? etc The person who knows the answers to the questions above will come up with a better design than the person who does not know. When you are spending a lot to get it built its best to have it designed well so that you can enjoy the finished product. Hope it makes sense IT
    ...See More

Help solve my pet hate... shampoo bottles in the shower!

Q

Comments (5)
    I've used wall mounted dispensers on my shower wall. They are made by Simplehuman. A bit pricey but they work well. https://www2.simplehuman.com/uk/triple-wall-mount-pumps-stainless-steel-15-fl-oz 
    ...See More

HELP- I’ve made my new bathroom look dated. what can I do?

Q

Comments (60)
    If space is your priority, perhaps the second toilet would be better? What brand is it, btw? I will eventually be redoing a bathroom (had planned to do it this year, but gas price rises have made me decide to install a wood burner instead). Really like the shape of this second toilet and it looks like it would be so easy to clean.
    ...See More

Help! What colour carpet should I get in my hallway?!

Q

Comments (2)
    I’m rather in love with these tweedy stair carpets. They come in natural shades like brown mix, grey or taupe.
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

I think it depends on how much you hate the carpet as large rugs can be expensive so money may be better spent on something you want?

Out of interest, have you not considered restoring the floorboards? We did our bedroom recently and it cost £850 (So cheaper than carpet we were looking at). You would of course need to touch up the skirting boards and potentially "fill" any gap between the floor and skirting board but skirting boards don't need to come off for restoration

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Are you sure they installed the right colour? Would be interesting to see it together with the sample perhaps.

• rinked
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I kind of like it, looks great with the fireplace and cabinets. Perhaps add some uplights behind the books on the top shelf, to brighten up the ceiling.

If you do decide on a rug, some greyed blue with neutrals would work (same blue as the wall, but a lot lighter).

The carpet is in, can't return it, so live with it for now. ;)

And bare floor boards with a rug would look great with the walls and sofa too!

• falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Minnie - we didn't consider restoring the floorboards as they were so draughty! Plus, we have put a new wood floor over underfloor heating in the rest of the downstairs so the original floorboards in the living room are at a different height. Although now I think that would be preferable to the carpet!

• falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carolina - I'm not convinced it's the right colour, but I don't have the sample still! Will call the shop later.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago
    I like the carpet, I love the inchyra blue.
    But personally I think the drop cloth sits uncomfortably with everything. I’m aware that F&B suggest it together but personally I think Inchyra blue looks better with cooler colours like silver/grey/blue/white.
    So in summary- keep the carpet, repaint the ceiling
  • falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Jonathan. Although it's not just the ceiling that is in Drop Cloth. It's also the cabinets and the windows. It would be quite a big job...but maybe worth doing. Is there a particular F&B colour you would recommend? I'd rather stick to F&B as I love the matt finish.

• Ellie
    4 years ago

I think it is lovely! I just wouldnt have it in my house with 2 young children!

falcon_1980 thanked Ellie
  • Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

What aspect is your room? Is it East facing? Drop Cloth is yellow green which goes really well with Inchyra Blue, but it could look more yellow tinged than the greyish in certain aspects. The carpet may be more of a blue grey with in my opinion looks good with the Inchyra blue. There will be a way to fix this, just hang in there.

• falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you colourhappy! The room is North facing. The Drop Cloth really looked great before we got the carpet. I agree that the carpet goes well with the Inchyra, but I feel like it's a cold colour and I'm not sure I want to match it. I liked the richness of the Drop Cloth but now it looks yellow and awful next to the carpet. Gah!

• Sonia
    4 years ago
    The carpet is very nice. However a rug may be the answer if you really don’t like it. Not all rugs are expensive, of course a Persian rug is, but there are lots of good copies around made of polypropylene which are very reasonable. But I think the cheapest option is to repaint the wall above the picture rail. I wouldn’t repaint the woodwork just yet. I have Dulux brilliant white (I know!) above my picture rail and F&B Cromarty below and I love the fresh contrast. F&B do some lovely whites if you want to stick with them. Living room pic is my room.
  • tamp75
    4 years ago
    I think the painted cabinets look fine next to the carpet in the photo. The top of the room looks yellower because of the different light levels up there. I know you don’t wouldn’t want too many colours but redoing that in something different might work. But I wouldn’t rush into it.
    When we renovated, I hated the carpet in one of the bedrooms & the bathroom flooring but now it looks perfectly fine. Give yourself time to adjust and you may find you’ll like it in time.
  • rachelmidlands
    4 years ago
    Just a thought but how about taking the inchyra blue up to the cornice? I think it’ll add more drama to the room (which looks fab btw).
  • Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

I love the colours in the room and especially with the sofa. A sisal carpet would look good, so it you can't live with this then could you put the carpet elsewhere? The carpet looks to be a similar tone to the cupboards which is why the difference in hue is possibly standing out. You could try painting above the dado a different colour first to see if it helps.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

It's a nice carpet, slightly on the cool side for the off white / cream paintwork, but easily rectified.

Add in a rug and if that doesn't do enough then go for a sage grey / green on the cabinets.

Or carry on the dark green to the floor that you have on the upper walls and the shelves.

• falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Man About the House - how helpful to be able to see if like that! What programme did you use to do it? I think painting the cabinets green and a rug might be the way to go.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

No problem! I used Photoshop. Good luck

• Sonia
    4 years ago
    Hi Falcon just sitting in the garden reading a magazine and this picture reminded me of your sitting room! I noticed how the owners had painted the area between the picture rail and the cornicing the same colour as the rest of the walls. Maybe an option for you?
    falcon_1980 thanked Sonia
  • Martin
    4 years ago

We've got Inchyra Blue and the same colour carpet, i love it. Only issue for me is the Drop Cloth. I'd paint over it in white, possibly extend the Inchyra to the ceiling

falcon_1980 thanked Martin
  • Alicja Hughes
    4 years ago
    You don’t need to rip the skirting boards to put new wooden floor over the existing one. Matching beading can be used around the edge but this would narrow the skirtings.
    falcon_1980 thanked Alicja Hughes
  • Alicja Hughes
    4 years ago
    And I agree with the previous comments about painting the top white :)
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

I'd stick to changing the units and adding the rug, if you want to go over the drop cloth nearer the ceiling at a later date, then do that too. Less is more to start with. Try Pavillion Gray. Or one of the whites, Wevet or Strong White

falcon_1980 thanked User
  • falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all. Some really helpful advice.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

To be honest with you, the carpet is not right for the wall colour and I have never been a lover of velvet carpets are they end up looking messy imho.

I agree with comments above and would definitely buy a large rug and paint the cabinets to either side of the chimney breast to match the shelving colour.

falcon_1980 thanked Brandler London
  • tbyrne309
    4 years ago
    When I had my engineered wood floor installed, the skirting did not have to come off, they undercut the skirting boards instead. It means the skirting is very slightly narrower but the job is very neat, professional and doesn’t have to have beading which would cheapen the look. This may be worth looking into if your 1st choice was a wooden floor.
  • falcon_1980
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks tbyrne309, that's very interesting. I'll look into that. Did it require any additional redecoration at all?

• tbyrne309
    4 years ago
    Hi Falcon, a couple of bits of skirting needed a bit of touching up but nothing major. I’ll take a pic for you when I get home. There was a fair bit of dust but that would have happened anyway.
    falcon_1980 thanked tbyrne309
  • tbyrne309
    4 years ago
    Here’s a pic of the skirting
    falcon_1980 thanked tbyrne309
  • PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    4 years ago

Hi there, we actually think it looks really nice but it’s hard to get a feel from photos. Try blending with soft furnishings and accessories in lighter shades and a rug may help tying the colours together more. We’ve attached some examples to provide you with a bit of inspiration! Let us know what you decide on.

Apollo Elite · More Info

falcon_1980 thanked Cormar Carpets
  • sksj1
    4 years ago

Looks gorgeous to me, but definitely repaint the cream area white as it clashes.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.