webuser_71660

How do I make this look better?

Tani H-S
9 years ago
We are renovating this good sized detached house & need cheap ideas for updating the front. It's one of three on the same patch so I don't want to alter it drastically as it will look odd.

However we won't have much of a budget left but I want to bring it up to date. Happy to introduce black or the anthracite grey in to modernise it and make it look smarter.

Only idea so far:-

Add on an external porch for character (eventually removing the sliding doors)

Thank you!

Comments (44)

• PRO
    Seeing the Big Picture
    9 years ago
    Hi Tanith, first off would be to re-paint the shuters, gate, railings and the garage to match, something a bit warmer...one of those cottagey colours that all the gastro pubs seem to be using these days!

Other thing would be to hide the wheely bins...maybe make a station out of hazel panels. Depending how far you wanted to go, you could clad the outside of the dormer, then reconfigure the porch by taking out the sliding doors, adding a nice wooden door to match the paneling on the dormer and full lenght window sidelight.
  • crabtree17
    9 years ago
    hi great potential here, depending on budget u could install internal shutters and a more traditional garage door with little windows along the top. cladding would be fabulous too. painting the front railings and gate would also improve curb appeal. great website just for inspiration is Back to Front Exterior Design, just gives u an idea of what possible .
  • Related Discussions

How can I make my bay/bow window look better?

Q

Comments (24)
    I have similar dilemma with the small window Which to me looks like unfinish. For addition the window sill that the window is put on is very thin and without insulation. I am attaching 2 pictures of houses that I saw in BrIstol. I like a lot how they finished the small bay window. I attached as well Picture of finish between two big bays
    ...See More

How to make a low beam look better

Q

Comments (5)
    How you have it seems the best option, that is painted the same colour as your ceiling. Many new large kitchens have to have support beams. Would you consider painting the end wall or perhaps adding some colourful tiles and shelving? Otherwise, as has already been suggested, you can distract by adding colour, such as art, to the walls.
    ...See More

How to make kitchen tiles/design look better?

Q

Comments (6)
    I also like them. It’s easy to have a wobble when it’s half finished but I’m sure you will love it- especially if you add extra elements of similar colours….. such as a patterned blind or tea towels. You might also consider painting the walls- I suspect they are very white and with the cabinets also being white you will inevitably focus on the tiles.
    ...See More

Design dillema how to make my hotel lobby looks better

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree it needs something above the reception desk- but I think it needs to either be a welcome message or your branding. You can soften echoey spaces with plants and sofas. Also a carpet in front of your reception desk helps people feel more comfortable when they are stood chatting to the reception staff. Don’t under estimate the value of getting a comfortable temperature and a pleasant smell.
    ...See More
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi guys,, thank you for your quick replies!
    The image is from the agents site before we moved in so the bins are normally in the ally down the side.

The shutters are (horror) flimsy plastic so will come off. The top of the garage is hiding something but not sure if you can paint PVC?? If so then this would be the cheaper option. I would prefer one that opens like a shutter but we won't be using it as a a garage and it will be blocked on the inside for now.

When you say clad the dormer... what sort of thing did you have in mind?

The windows are alu (I think anodised) and in v good condition. I've tried painting the internal side in our kitchen but it's hard to get the paint to stick, even after sanding and spraying with an etch primer so I'm stuck unless we replace them.
  • crabtree17
    9 years ago
    u can get upvc paint and maybe do some research re painting the windows, sure u can get them painted, just knowing what products to use. great project though, good luck
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Should have said the long term plan is to indeed put a decent door at the front but we have no money left for that at the moment so we want to start doing the smaller things.

We are also going to widen the driveway and possibly remove some of the grass and put some contemporary slate/stones in with more feature plants as it's gets overgrown too quickly.
  • Debbie Long
    9 years ago
    Hiya, This may sound a little out there, but how about a long window box but not on the window. Above the garage door, with lots of colours. Easily watered with a hanging basket hose attachment.
  • PRO
    Seeing the Big Picture
    9 years ago
    Found this image re. cladding the dorma. Could also paint outside white full that full contemporary look, just depends "how sympathetic/modern you want to go.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That looks nice Craig. I love that colour wood and saw it being used on the link 'back to front design' that was posted up. Certainly worth researching how to do it ourselves.

There isn't much brickwork at the front but yes, I would consider painting/rendering it all white if we changed the colour of the garage etc.

There is very little info on painting those type of windows & no one who seems to offer it as a service. I think most people would replace them but it's only the colour that's outdated.

Definitely want to introduce done greenery to the front and have tall alu pots (when I rescue them back from my parents who have been looking after them while we moved)
  • PRO
    Seeing the Big Picture
    9 years ago
    Yeah got great potential...would be good to see a pic once you've finished.

I do have a bit of a fondness for those old alu windows, but needs to work with the rest of the house. Incidently if you need any contemporary artwork needs have a look at my website - seeingthebigpicture.co.uk.

Good luck!
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
    this is the place between our two rooms.I want to change this useless place into a big hall or say dining hall as we dont hv any Hall
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
    this is the place between our two rooms.I want to change this useless place into a big hall or say dining hall as we dont hv any Hall
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Husain,

You seem to have posted in the wrong section and quite a few of the same posts?
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
    than whr I suppose to?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    You create your own post. Go to the section called advice and at the top there is a speech box. You can put your request there.
    You have clicked on my post and added it to mine by mistake. If you could please delete them, if would be appreciated as people will get confused and think its my room.

Thank you
  • mariboodebumbum
    9 years ago
    Hi Tani, if it was me I'd paint the brickwork- not brilliant white but a light colour (masonry paint is relatively cheap) , incorporate the idea of some wood ie front door and cladding on dormer, and then to 'pick up' the aluminium windows I'd change all the door furniture to aluminium/ brushed steel. :-)
  • hazyfantasie
    9 years ago
    Can recommend Silva Timber for the battens/cladding. I've used them to buy battens to make a horizontal screen between us and next door. Were in the process of the same project, to produce a mod/contemporary look to our 60's semi. (I'll try and post some pics) may give you some ideas.
    Tani H-S thanked hazyfantasie
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hello. Thank you.
    I watched an episode of Sarah beeny's double yr house and on it there was a guy who painted his brickwork instead of rendering it. I thought it looked ok (better than it was b4 at any rate!) but Sarah seemed to have a hard time with it. Not sure if even masonry paint would flake off after a time?
  • hazyfantasie
    9 years ago
    Guys, most stuff can be painted, it's just who you contact and how you go about it. Being in the refinish motor trade and working for a paint manufacture we have a division for all areas, be it car, decorative, light industrial, marina. so something some where will be the right solution. You just have to think outside the box.
  • Husain Sultan
    9 years ago
    Dear Tani

thr is no such Delete option I unable to do so.
    its ur own Section so I think u can delete. jus chk.... if thr is a delete option for u than u can delete them.... I don mind.
    sorry for inconvenience
  • mcslw
    9 years ago
    I would start by removing the shutters and if possible, removing the "antique-y" hardware from the front door, if it can't be removed then paint it in the same colour as the door. I'd paint the front door a nice bright colour to draw the eye away from the garage door, and swap out the house numbers and outdoor light for something a bit more modern. Should all be pretty cheap to do :)
  • hazyfantasie
    9 years ago
    For alu you would need a 2 part ( 2k ) primer, more alined to a car body shop. This would be for professional use with the correct PPE. Anything in an aerosol will be a 1k product and not a true etch primer.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @lkt1 - yes it's very flat and we would like to put some sort of canopy on it eventually.
    We would only remove the sliding doors once we have a new front for it as the inside door is not insulated enough. We are going to test it this winter by leaving the sliding doors open and see how it is.
    The side has a gate down the bottom but I hadn't thought about putting a decorative one at the front (we have 2 sides though)

Thank you!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @hazyfantasie - we did an internal window but used a spray etch primer from halfords (not their own brand) however it was done insitu, and although most of it took, where I had sanded the edges of the alu frame too much (where it was now shiny), it didn't really take and so neither did the black spray paint. Also the brush parts under the frame got in the way. Would be good to have a pro do our front window but it might be that we will have to just replace it.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Maybe a porch cover that spans the sliding doors and the garage door. It could be a arbor trellis supported by decorative brackets and have a vine growing on it. Something to protect from the rain would be better.
  • kathleen MK
    9 years ago
    Add another evergreen In a planter at the corner of the house by the garage maybe a tall skinny one in an urn. Black iron work for the fence and porch light would look better with the brick. Definitely get rid of the shutter. I would do a cottage garden of bulbs and perennials by the window and alongside the fence.
    Tani H-S thanked kathleen MK
  • Tracey Vickery
    9 years ago
    Autentico chalk paint do a paint that can be used straight onto PVC doors and windows, it's the outdoor paint. I have just used it and it's brilliant, comes in lots of colours too.
  • db1225
    9 years ago
    Paint the shutters and buy a new carriage style garage door. There not cheap but will transform the look of the place.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @tracey9691 oo thank you re the paint. It wouldn't adhere to the alu frames on the lower levels but would be handy for the plastic fascia boards around the garage and on our rear ugly porch (fake brown wood effect upvc, urgh)
  • Tracey Vickery
    9 years ago
    The paint can be used on metal too, haven't tried it myself but it may be worth talking to a stockist x
  • daviddownhall
    9 years ago
    Tani for the best results on your windows, I would suggest having them powder coated. Lot's of companies do this now so shouldn't be to difficult to find someone local.
  • Tony McIntyre
    9 years ago
    I would repaint the shutters and garage. I would put a new dormer window in. And that's it....
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    For a quick, easy and cheap facelift you'll be amazed how far a clean-up alone will go.

Jet wash the wall and the driveway setts. Put a lick of paint on the ironwork, black would definitely be good. Brush in fresh kiln-dried sand between the setts. Prune back those sad looking shrubs before they get back into growth, which will be any time now. Don't cut back those firs, they will not grow back and are likely to just die. If you do anything at all with them, get rid and plant something which grows more happily in this country. It's a low definition photo so I can't see the state of the lawn or whether the wall needs re-pointing. Look yourself and treat accordingly.

That alone will lift the place sufficiently to give you breathing space. Then you can think through what budget you have left and which of the many ideas available you prefer and can prioritise accordingly.

On the other hand, whatever you do will not look good while all that looks scruffy and unloved.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Freshscaped!
    Indeed we are planning on getting rid of those horrid big conifers (awful shape) and ditching the grass to go for a stoned front instead with neat border.
    So far we have removed the plastic shutters and the awful aluminium front door and just replaced the internal door with a new modern black one and etched glass side. (Pic shows new door)

Plan is to get a new light and put some tall planters either side of the door once the huge conifer is gone.

Also replaced the house number for an etched one and just those have made such a difference already!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Oh - that's not the latest image but I will post more as I go along
  • Johny Schmidt
    7 years ago

Maybe this fence panels? It looks great!

http://www.jamalex-steel.eu/

• tezz4
    6 years ago

To stick with a tight budget l would match the railing to the garage door and windows for now and usd white paint. Aldo l would unify the outside view of all the windows and fit the same roller or roman blinds throughout - only the backing needs to be the same, as seen from outside. Some new paint benesth the front doorstep, a smart doormat and a nice potted plant by the front door.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Three years old post!

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Not the first time by the same poster.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks all. Yes it's an old post now - I finished the house and posted an updated version a while ago
  • tezz4
    6 years ago

Just came up. I wasnt looking at the dates. Sorry to have bothered you.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.