mary_watt57

kitchen design - magnet not specifying unit types

Mary Watt
5 years ago

hi there. i went to visit a magnet showroom recently and they drew up a design for the kitchen that i am having installed. the price was astronomical, with fitting (£6,500 alone) not available until feb 2019 at the earliest, hence why i am now looking around and have come across DIY kitchens. i think i read somewhere on this forum a while back that someone on here can draw up plans for you so you can go to DIY kitchens to specify the units that you need. can anyone help?!

Comments (36)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    I was just about to say, £6500 for a kitchen inc fitting! That’s not bad, the. I reread it! Wow, that’s a lot, do the fitters turn up in Porsche’s?
  • Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i know, right! i nearly fell off my chair. Apparently they have a huge waiting list at the moment and as of last thursday, were booking up for early Feb! i am based in surrey. it doesnt sound like they have many fitters based in that area!

• Related Discussions

Deciding on new kitchen design and colour!

Q

Comments (23)
    Hi. As it's a little tricky space with 3 doors it may be worth employing a planner. Is there potential to move any doors or block the porch window etc (if the room is light enough). I'm not sure you have enough room to open the oven door safely with a cabinet behind it? I would consider narrow depth base units on the "half" wall opposite the oven for extra storage (and move the rad porch side). The kitchen will also feel much more streamlined if all the appliances are integrated. It may work (?!) if starting from left you go double height larder, ff, wm/TD, sink, DW, hob, space, oven. If you like the yellow then go with it! I would however go for a white worktop with pale grey walls and maybe karndean for the floor with grey and blonde tones. Another option is dark grey units (both yellow and dark grey units may close it in a little) with yellow hexagon tiles on the wall as per the pic in your ideabook (which I also like!).
    ...See More

Suggestions needed for colourful kitchen units for modest cost

Q

Comments (11)
    I think you should be able to paint some ikea doors as they do a couple of styles in wood (with some veneers, I think). They have also started doing very vibrant blue wardrobes so who knows what you might find in the kitchen department. Another suggestion would be to get some plainer units but buy a second hand dresser that could be painted any colour. You might also find that some bespoke units might be affordable - I imagine that with your style you might go for open shelving and freestanding appliances so you'd need to purchase very few units ( for our last kitchen we literally only purchased 3 base units + a wooden trolley from ikea).
    ...See More

Kitchen unit colour dilemma- please help.

Q

Comments (8)
    The room looks very modern and spacious and having 2 colours in a kitchen is very popular. With regards to wall units (see image below where shelves have been used) & fridge/freezers, it really is down to personal preference but American fridge/freezers are very bulky, but they do give a lot of fridge space, although the freezers do tend to be a little small. Shelving can look nice and it could keep costs down. Decisions, decisions :-) Here are some pics of shaker kitchens that our customers have sent us with 2 different colours that they have used in their kitchens. If you want to see more pics then they can be seen here.
    ...See More

Kitchen design help please, diykitchens

Q

Comments (38)
    Minnie’s layout looks gorgeous :), and she is correct you can buy extra paint from DIY however bear in mind that it’s sold as a two part and almost impossible to paint by hand as the lacquer added is meant to be sprayed on. However most people seem to successfully paint theirs using a matching service so you might want to bear that in mind. And please reconsider the integrated bin, it’s amazing and you can have just one with a handy drawer at the top. It’s my favourite thing having the bin next to the sink on one side and the dishwasher at the other. I can scrape, rinse and load in the dw without moving. Plus it looks so much neater not having a box sat around your kitchen.
    ...See More
  • A S
    5 years ago
    I think it may be @OnePlan you're looking for...
  • A S
    5 years ago
    Check out this professional from Houzz - https://ml.houzz.com/Wfg2eXEj2Q
  • Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

you are most correct, asifa. i'm in touch with her now :)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Just for a bit of balance, how many units are we talking here? Is there an island? Plan uploaded would be even better! Just to get a bit of perspective
  • Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

this is it

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    That confirms it, They are deffo going to turn up in Porsche’s! Nice kitchen btw but I think that is a ridiculous amount for the fitting alone! Just my thought though!
    Mary Watt thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I also think that is a lot for fitting. Presumably it included the cost of electricians, plumbing, worktop templatjng etc. For just the kitchen fitting I would be expecting £3500/£4000

As far as the February date- I suppose that is 12 weeks (if you ignore a couple of Christmas weeks). Lots of manufacturers have that lead time.

What is the kitchen cost? I bet an independent kitchen showroom could find you a better quality product for the same money.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Ps, don’t take offence but would you not think of integrating the fridge freezer?
  • Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

no offence taken - i regretted not saying integrated by the end but i needed to get back to work haha!!

• Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jonathan - £28k from memory that was with the current 50% off units deal!!! :O!!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the mention @Asifa S...
    I’ve had a lovely Chat with Mary ! :-)
    Mary Watt thanked OnePlan
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Beano made me laugh.
    No retailer can genuinely offer a 50% discount so let’s just call this a marketing plan. I am confident that £28,000 would buy you a quality fitted kitchen, probably in a bigger range of colours and a shorter lead time, with a quartz worktop and appliances from an independent retailer.
    Mary Watt thanked Jonathan
  • Laura Thomas
    5 years ago
    I’m sure you could haggle for a better price from magnet, people often get 75% or more off. The quote for the fitting is very steep, you might be better finding an independent fitter. Another location might give you a better price, also hold off if you can and go back when they are trying to complete sales for their bonuses.

Another trick to get the kitchen cheaper is to buy the whole kitchen with a cheaper frontal, and then buy the more expensive frontals separately. Lots of the fitters do this and then sell the cheaper surplus frontals on.

Agree with Jonathan about having an integrated f/f.
    Mary Watt thanked Laura Thomas
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

I'm looking at getting our kitchen from DIY Kitchens - went up there last month and was really impressed with the kitchens up there.. if you know what you're looking for and what kind of units etc you can choose all the individual units.

Mary Watt thanked Gabby Wong
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    I love DIY kitchens.
    Mary Watt thanked AMB
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    Great choice, price, quality (varies on the range you buy of course), and customer service. Don't be afraid of designing your own kitchens, most are all standard sizes. DIY kitchens don't do flat pack and they are made in the UK (my units were made in Yorkshire and came supplied with Yorkshire tea and biscuits).

We did the fitting ourselves as we are handy but I absolutely would not pay £6k for fitting alone (your units will cost less than that from DIY Kitchens)! I mean, fitting the wall units was just like hanging a heavy picture!
    Mary Watt thanked AMB
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    I also think DIY kitchens can help you with plans. I didn't buy a lot (11 units) but they were with me within a month.
    Mary Watt thanked AMB
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago

This is really reassuring to hear AMB!

Mary Watt thanked Gabby Wong
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Anyone reading this who’s tempted to take on a project all by themselves - please get you ‘own design’ safety checked by a credible pro before ordering anything ! Stay safe peeps !

Mary Watt thanked OnePlan
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago

Please don’t design the kitchen yourself as suggested by an earlier poster. By the time you have paid for fitting this will have cost you £30,000+ so it is important to get it right. The kitchens available from everywhere other than the big sheds will have significantly more cabinet choice too making it a very tricky job.

Every few weeks someone on Houzz proudly shows off their kitchen transformation and although an improvement on whatever taken out I can often count things they have chosen that even to my untrained eye look out of place. A recent project I noticed had 18 things that were either very personal choices or just plain weird, the owner doesn’t see them but if they ever come to sell the next owner may well and they may not be able to recoup their investment.

I say get a professional designer to plan for you- you can pay someone who sells only design or find someone who knows what they are doing at an independent showroom. Either way they will come up with an improvement in the design that sounds like it was knocked up during your lunch hour. There are 8 things on this plan that in my opinion could be improved and a few things where I wonder why they did that- I’m sure OnePlan will have helped you see some of them already.

Mary Watt thanked Jonathan
  • Sam N
    5 years ago

Another vote for DIY kitchens from me, I could not beat the price we received on our kitchen anywhere else. I tried local independents too as many people seem to get a better deal that way, sadly that was not my experience at all, not sure if that is related to prices near London where we are located, but quotes came back pretty high. The service at DIY was also great, they can answer any question related to the tiniest detail of a specific unit within minutes over the phone. We purchased our kitchen without visiting the factory, having only seen the sample doors that they send out. A BIG thank you to OnePlan who drew up the plans for me, this was so helpful to see everything in the space to scale. I had an idea of the layout I wanted, but having this drawn up professionally with the correct (safe) space being left around the island etc. along with Karen's ideas and suggestions was invaluable. I fully appreciate that DIY kitchens or similar is not everyone's idea of a dream kitchen, but as part of a full house renovation, budget was key for us. I've added some photos of our kitchen here (please be kind :-)), they are not the best light etc. and snapped a while back on my phone. The kitchen is not quite complete in these photos distressed mirror splash back still to go up, and mantel shelf over chimney, art work is now up too. New sofa also coming next week yay :-) , but you can get the idea of number of units etc. All units came in at just under £6,500, Silestone quartz worktops from an independent supplier including fitting £4k. We had a full house renovation done and the builder fitted the kitchen for £1800 as part of that, the units come assembled so it really is only a 2-3 day job to fit. (The quote of £6,500 for fitting seems outrageous to me). The total spend for the kitchen was under £15,000 including everything, new appliances and pendant lighting etc. Kitchens are really subjective, and while this will not be the perfect kitchen for many, but it is our perfect kitchen, we love it. If you don't have a Devol or Martin Moore budget, you can still fit a kitchen that you will be over the moon with. ;-)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    @Sam N. I think this looks great and highlights that great design can make a cost effective cabinet look very high end. More expensive kitchen ranges might have more cabinet or colour choices, they might use more expensive materials, have more drawers or have more clever inserts- but looking at your kitchen you would never know.
    Well done for having an island that is big enough to use, not overcrowding the space with units and for using colour well. This looks very high end.
    I look forward to you posting the finished kitchen- a couple of corbels and a mantel shelf over the range plus a wall colour (particularly on the back wall) will really finish this off.
  • Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sam N, your kitchen looks so fab! such a good price too compared with other quotes i've had back. ours is potentially going to be about the same size, so good to have a guide. how did you find ordering with them once you had one plan, is it just a case of emailing them over a list? which range is this and colour? is that £15k a;ll in inc fitting? sorry for all the questions!!

• A S
    5 years ago
    Your kitchen looks super high end Sam. You couldn't tell that its not a designer kitchen.

I think the fitting is a key element to a great kitchen...you can have the most expensive kitchen but poor fitting will ultimately cheapen the look.
  • Sam N
    5 years ago

Thank you for your lovely comments! I am always a bit hesitant to post photos, interiors are so subjective and I'm nervous of negative comments lol....silly I know, but we worked so hard on the renovations and basically lived on a freezing cold building site for 8 months, the end result is totally worth it, but I am probably more attached to it than I should be, like a protective Mum :-). I wanted to post though because other people sharing photos helped us so much along the way.

• AMB
    5 years ago
    That kitchen looks great Sam. Which range is it? Did you go for a bespoke colour?

Frankly, with the amount of suppliers and competition out there, I don't understand why people are spending more than 10k on their kitchen cabinets, appliances and worktops (I'm excluding any building work and finishing touches and flooring here)! When I get my kitchen done (which I will have designed myself, god forbid...) my builders will fit for the princely sum of 1.5k (and only because they will already be onsite to do building work - if budget is tight we can do it ourselves) and the cabinetry from DIY kitchens will come to around 4k.

My neighbours had their kitchen done recently and the designer designed and ordered a drawer cabinet to go under the sink, meaning the builders could not fit it because the designer did not take into account the plumbing...
  • Sam N
    5 years ago

Mary, re ordering with DIY, every single element you need is listed separately on their website you just need to go through methodically and add everything to your basket, (it sounds way worse than it is in practice :-)). Once this is done, you can send them your design and the reference number for your order and they will check you have everything you need. They spotted that I had missed an end post that I needed. I must have called them 10 times during the whole process and they could always answer my question straight away, or with a quick call down to their technical team. I did miss one end panel too that the builder realised when fitting, it did not delay the fitting and he just added it when it arrived about 8 days later. The £15k was for everything including fitting. Fitting was £1800, worktops fitted were £4k which was a great price for the amount of Silestone. We got this from Henderstone, I would recommend them. Integrated larder fridge, dishwasher, under counter freezer all from AO at a total cost of £850, Delonghi range cooker also £850. Appliances are not high end, but standard brands, the fridge is integrated and we did not require an ice dispenser or anything fancy, I can live with a bag of ice in the freezer for my G&T's :-) so as long as the fridge does its job i.e. stays cold, I'm happy. The units are Helmsley in-frame, the grey units around the walls are from their standard range of colours it's called 'soft grey'. The island is Hague Blue, they offer their units in any Farrow and Ball colour of your choice. This is then called Helmsley Bespoke. A little tip; going for the bespoke option adds about 30% to the price of the units, so if there is a colour that you like in the standard range it helps keep costs down to go for that for the bulk of the kitchen and then accent with less units in the more costly option. This is what we did with the island, luckily we genuinely loved the soft grey anyway, so this worked well for us. I also totally agree with Asifa, it is all in the fitting, a really budget kitchen fitted well and with good worktops can look amazing, a high end kitchen poorly fitted cheapens the end result. Hope this is helpful, sorry for the long post! ;-)

• Sam N
    5 years ago

I also wanted to write a quick note re using a designer, I like to think I am my own designer and know what I want lol....so I have shied away from using them in the past. But from a space planning perspective it was invaluable to us. I sent OnePlan a truly terrible pre-school drawing of the basic layout I hoped to achieve, along with some notes on what we wanted the kitchen to offer us and what we would like to include if possible. Karen managed to turn my dodgy sketch into a plan that enabled us to see the space would really work. For example, I was worried about fitting a sofa etc. in without it feeling cramped. Karen's drawings showed this was more than possible. The cost was so much less than I would have imagined, really very very reasonable and so worth it for such a big purchase as a kitchen. Here is what I sent Karen and just two of the images I got back, there were lots showing the room from different angles.

My awesome haha (not even to scale) drawing *embarrassed face* :-)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    @Sam N. I think drawing a room out on squared paper is so much more than most people do. I am always surprised that people have no concept of how big furniture is, imagining that they can fit in far more than they can. I think OnePlan has shown how the right design makes all the difference.
  • Mary Watt
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you so much for sharin, sam. i am actually looking at this specific range myself! it seems to be very popular. your kitchen looks really beautiful and i really hope mine turns out like yours!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago

wow Sam N - the finished kitchen looks Fabulous! thanks for posting ! Sam had our D service option - with an annotated plan, rather than the A service with the full listing and panoramic etc. as you can see - its still more than possible to get quotes and a kitchen from the D service drawings.

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Ooooo Jonathan, you've got me worried now. I planned and designed our kitchen and now I'm worrying that I may have made some of the bad/weird choices you mentioned ( and I've recently put photos up of our new kitchen) and I can't see them. :-/

FWIW I think that is an extortionate amount of money for a big shed kitchen and I wonder if the high installation charge was because they are trying to deter people from opting for their fitters because they're struggling with volumes and/or installers/fitters?

• Sal89
    5 years ago
    This thread has been so useful! Firstly absolutely shocked at the price of magnet, that was going to be my go to, haven’t considered DIY kitchens but after all the positive comments will take a took!

Secondly - never considered anyone designing my kitchen but after the many recommendations and positive comments of one plan I will look into this. Also Jonathan has made me think twice about designing my own!

@jonathan I have a big renovation starting in 2019 and I hope to have your input! I think you have some great suggestions!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.