webuser_129338908

Kitchen Heating

HU-129338908
5 years ago

Hello, I'm renovating my kitchen soon and I need to choose the right way to heat it. It's north facing with no daytime solar gain; one day last week it was 25 degrees outside, but the kitchen was still cold. This is ok in the summer but not great in the winter. I want to avoid having a great looking kitchen that I don’t want to go in during winter due to the temperature.

The kitchen diner is 2.67m x 7.26 rectangle with no odd angles, with a U-shaped kitchen at one end and the dining table and chairs at the other. There’s a bedroom above.

I'm considering:

1) underfloor heating with engineered wooden floor - advantage is the warmth, disadvantages are it's expensive, the floor level will be raised and won't match the hall, which will also be wood. (The existing floor is 1960s tiles laid on concrete.)

2) changing the existing radiator (which is next to the door) to a vertical radiator in the dining area to make it more powerful and using a plinth heater in the kitchen area - advantage is it's cheaper and won't affect the floor height, disadvantage is I'm not sure if it will be warm enough (but I have used a BTU calculator).

3) changing my proposed kitchen design to include a range cooker instead of an induction hob and double oven in a tall unit.

Any useful tips or advice? Thanks, Maria

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.