girlfromnz

Need help for my bedroom. I don't know where to start!

girlfromnz
9 years ago
So... I'm going to redecorate my bedroom, but I'm completely at a loss for what to do. It's currently painted in Dulux Steel Symphony 5, but I've hated it since we first did it, as it looks like a baby blue colour. Now thanks to a roof leak, I thankfully get to paint it again. The room is north facing, but due to the bay window, it does still get a fair amount of light. The horrid red carpet will shortly be replaced with a neutral colour, and the door has already been painted white. I previously bought a remnant of fabric to make cushions (see photo), that I had planned to base the room around, but I'm happy to not use it, if it doesn't work. I want the colour to blend with the rest of the house, which is predominately painted in Dulux Gooseberry Fool 4 (a calm, earthy green/grey). The house was built in the 1920s, so I'd like to keep it quite classic looking. If I can twist my husbands arm, I might even be allowed to re-instate the fireplace that has been bricked up (opposite the bed). The wardrobes are a bit of an eyesore, but they might have to stay, or at least be just painted, because my budget is pretty tight. The rest of the furniture will be replaced - I'd like an oak shaker bed, antique pine/oak dresser and bedside cabinets, although these too might be painted.

I had intended to paint the room F&B Oval Room Blue, with quite neutral curtains, however now I'm worried that it might be too dark. Then I thought maybe a medium, warm grey, but every colour that I try doesn't seem quite right - Dulux Potters Clay 2 was too purple, F&B Purbeck Stone is too beige.

So any ideas on wall colours? Should I keep it light or go with the darker blue? Is it worth re-instating the fireplace, even if it ends up only being faux - smashing in the brickwork, might be too much for my hubby to bear ;-)

Thanks for all your help!

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.