niamh_lordan

Open plan living area alcoves

Niamh
21 January, 2019
Hey there

Any interior enthusiasts have suggestions for me on what to do with my alcoves in open living/kitchen area... One idea attached is custom built units to match the adjacent kitchen in light grey ash. Ignore the large sofa in the way... That will be gone soon.

Comments (8)

• Niamh
    I really liked this in a magazine!!!
  • Niamh
    Also like this paint idea!
  • PRO
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

Love it, think it will look super. just make sure you replicate the mouldings at the top with your current coving

I think it would look better to have the alcove units the same colour as your wall, then have your feature wall the dark grey. crap

crappy photoshopping, but you get the idea.

• Niamh
    Anyone got any suggestions?
  • Danielle H

I like your first image, cabinets in the same style as the kitchen would work well.

You could do something similar to the image below using the dark paint you like, gradually getting lighter as you work up behind the shelves.

• PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles

i like your first image also to tie in the kitchen units and the pale grey colour, i'm a fan of mirroring the shelves so they aren't at different heights.

• forzaitalia

I think built in shelving would look lovely. Creates a cosy nook to chill out in front of the tv or with a book, so yes to pic number one! I like the other dark grey wall too - how about having the shelving in dark grey? Just a thought.

• Niamh
    Was super unsure what to do! Thanks for your great advise everyone! xxx

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.