samharwood87

Painting uPVC window frames

samharwood87
9 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have just brought my first house! It has double glazing but the window fittings are a dark brown. I would love to know any advice experience on paining over them with uPVC paint in white - thank you!

Comments (77)

• carolgriffiths
    8 years ago
    Hi
    Ordered some handles from eBay as you can see pictures and compare to the ones you have. You will need to know spindle length so hubby unscrewed ours and then we measured - quite easy! Make sure you get the correct hand - right or left . Also ordered trickle vents from eBay as mine were an unusual length - also you can use pictures to compare, as there are different sorts and you need to use same screw holes.
    I live in the Highlands, miles from any shops so Internet is brilliant.
    You tube also has great videos if you want to find out how to do something.
  • samharwood87
    Original Author
    8 years ago

UPDATE: I did it!

I first washed with sugar soap. Then primed with zinsser bulls eye 123 primer. I then spray painted with Valspar paint and primer in one - in the colour pool tile.

I'm very happy with the results and finish. Here are a few images.

Thanks to everyone for there help!

• Related Discussions

Replacement windows uPVC, aluminium; white, grey or anthracite??

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks all. That's really helpful. @bchillman5 - love your flush windows, and the astragal lines - what manufacturer are they? And you are right - it is a very similar look house, and I agree that the paler grey suits the stone better. So thank you - I am very grateful for this image. Very happy to have found this resource... now to move onto my interior design dilemmas!!
    ...See More

Help please: painting exterior of window frames different colour

Q

Comments (10)
    @Sonia wow thanks for that photo I've been searching everywhere for youtube info, photos etc. having a hard time becasue it can go both ways my windows are black on outside white inside and where to stop is tricky. thanks again.
    ...See More

painting window frames

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Viv, If your property is not grade 2 listed, white colour will better preserve your timber windows from sun ultraviolet (UV), whichmeansextra few years before you will need to repaint/repair your windows. Here is the photo from one of our recent projects with a similar house style to your
    ...See More

uPVC Windows Advice Needed

Q

Comments (7)
    Well they do look a bit …. err …. unprofessionally finished. UPVC does not expand. The only thing expanding on that image is the foam fix that they have squirted around the edge which needs cutting off to make a level edge. It’s difficult to tell 100% from the images but if it is just the window to plaster edge that is of major concern then if the gap is small use some polyfiller, alternatively if the gap is big a plasterer will fill the hole. If they’re scratched deep on the plastic you won’t get rid of the scratches.
    ...See More
  • carolgriffiths
    8 years ago
    Hi everyone
    Half way through painting window but some idiot superglued the trickle vent on so having a few problems getting it off - waiting for hubby to have a go. Nearly there so will post pics soon!
  • Matthew Decorator
    8 years ago
    Did you paint only the internals? Satinwood is not meant for external work and won't take long for you to have problems with it.
  • carolgriffiths
    8 years ago
    Hi Matthew Decorator
    Yes only internals and it looks great will make sure I have exterior paint for outside . Many thanks for your advice - hubby didn't think it possible so he's really pleased! Makes the room look brighter as it's on the North side of the house.
  • Matthew Decorator
    8 years ago
    No problem, it looks brilliant
  • annie5279
    8 years ago
    What colour should I paint the walls keeping flooring getting Greyish carpet for stairs ...
  • PRO
    FlipGreat
    8 years ago

I've read (2 sources) that if the original window is white, you should paint the window a color with a Hunter L value higher than 60. Since white = 100 and Black = 0, this means a light color. In theory a new dark paint would cause the window to absorb too much heat and negatively affect the functioning of the pvc/vinyl window over time. Anyone know if this is true?????????????

• PRO
    Glassar Projects
    8 years ago

Hi guys some great stuff on here.

We will be undergoing a similar project for a client in the next few weeks so I will try and keep you posted on our progress. It's not something I would particularly recommend but he has has shown me the cost difference and he wants the grey windows look, so I along with him have convinced a couple of our painters to paint the exteriors of brand new white windows grey.

i have my doubts but with the right prep we should be ok, I will keep you posted.

Thanks for the great posts I actually came on here to do some research.

• carolgriffiths
    8 years ago
    Hi
    Have finally done the inside of my son's bedroom window, exactly as suggested, and what a difference! Slowly working my way round the house - all brown upvc windows,brass handles and varnished pine surrounds now white. Will start outside in the Spring. This way works very pleased.
  • PRO
    FlipGreat
    8 years ago

OK, answering my own question. I've learned that the problem painting white windows a darker color is the heat build up within the frame from the new darker color absorbing more sun energy. This grater heat can compromise the window vinyl. Painting original dark windows light is OK, as the vinyl/upvc was designed to handle the heat, BUT painting white vinyl dark is a no no, as it was not designed to handle the extra heat and can warp. However, several paint companies, including Sherman Williams, and Benjamin Moore have developed new "vinyl safe" paints that use tints that absorb far less heat and are therefor safe to use. These paints were developed for vinyl siding which had the same heat absorption problem.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/architects-specifiers-designers/education/paint-and-color-technology/sw-art-pro-vinylsafecolortech.html

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-contractors/vinyl-select

http://www.mgmindustries.com/painted-vinyl.php

http://www.colorcoat.us/why.htm

• Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago

Looks like you have all had some great results. I would really like to do the inside of my windows. What did you do with the sides of the openers and casement? Thanks

• carolgriffiths
    8 years ago
    Hi Tracey
    I didn't do any of the insides as upvc, can only see them when open and actually it looks ok. Easier to just do the bits you can see, if you think about how often you open the windows. Good luck, I'm about to start the rest of mine inside soon, just recovering from a shoulder operation, and when the weather's warmer will start outside. I'm really impressed with the results I've got.
  • Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago

Thanks for the reply, do they seem durable? Hope you're feeling well soon

• carolgriffiths
    8 years ago
    Hi Tracy
    I have done one window in the bathroom and used oil based satin wood and it wipes clean but can't comment on how durable it is as only been done a short while but I must say it looks good, also changed the handles. My son!s bedroom window also looks good, used a water based satinood, not. Hipped. Remember all are primed with Zinseer Bin. As soon as the weather improves onto the outside. Cheaper than new windows, ours are only 3 years old, put in just before we bought the house. Hope that helps.
  • PRO
    NW Window Repairs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi all hope you don't mind me joining the convo .iv been asked by houzz direct to join and show off my work many times but Neva done so ,it's only now iv been asked by a previous customer of mine for a ral.u colour I put on her upvc window (bagpuss) who is on houzz .just so you all know I penatrate colour into upvc and hard plastics for a living I'm NW window repairs

the first thing everyone needs to remember is upvc isn't absorbent to any kind of paint so although it will look ok for many months it will not last for years as the window expands and detract the paint will begin to crack.doing it out side where it's to the elements is asking for trouble especially if not using somthing with a uv protection. We use a formulated paint with the main ingreadnts being butane witch helps the chemical bonding your not going to find this kind of paint in you locale DIY shop. if you are set on DIY clean the window with soapy water and a scotch pad go to a locale cleaning company and ask for the strongest solvent they can sell you without being trade (upvc cleaners will not do as they will only enharnse the lacquers in the upvc ) you want They's out . Once you have applied the solvent wait till the frame goes sticky ( this should only take a few minutes )then apply the first layer on thinly and quickly .you want the thin sticky layer to harden pulling the paint in .please note I don't know how off the shelf paint works but this process will help by making the top layer of the upvc absorbent .try using a coloured cloth if the window goes the colour of the cloth when applying the solvent it's strong enough

• Mark Everett
    8 years ago

Hi all. I'm looking for some tips on painting our uPVC window internally. I've been reading above but want to make sure it's possible before whacking on the primer and paint.

• Mark Everett
    8 years ago

window · More Info

• alisonbrown865
    8 years ago

I'm in the process of moving into my house, which has brown UPVC doors & windows. I am wanting to paint them all white but only internally. Can anybody please give me some advice. Thank you. Alison

• mattdodds
    8 years ago
    You've found the core t thread - I think most has already been said to be honest. I also have brown and am gradually painting them white (internally only) as I renovate each room. Clean, Zinnser primer, then your choice of topcoat. The number of coats is really up to you, using the shellac Zinnser it dries so quickly it's easy to do lots of coats. Gentle fine sanding between coats helps the finish, but is most important in my experience once you are using your topcoat (I'm using Dulux Eggshell). You can even replace the handles if you wish (Screwfix or any DIY place). Have attached a before and after so you can see what mine look like
  • alisonbrown865
    8 years ago
    Thank you x
  • Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago
    Hi, I've had a little trial on a scrap of window profile. I didn't clean it admittedly but I've tried some Zinnser and I can easily scratch it with my nail. Is this normal?
  • PRO
    FlipGreat
    8 years ago

Yes. The whole key is adhesion. If you don't follow the directions of the pros and prep the surface properly, and don't use the proper paint, It's probably not going to work well.

• PRO
    FlipGreat
    8 years ago

In this feed, there used to be a very detailed explanation from a painting pro who had done this many times, about how they do it. It seem to have disappeared.

• Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago
    Thanks, I was hoping it was the lack of prep that had caused the issue and that the job is still do-able.
  • G Arnold
    8 years ago
    Tracysid, full cure can take up to 3 days... When I did mine it was pretty resistant to scratching... But TBH its the top counts that matter... I wouldnt do it on something like a door, but windows should be fine.
  • Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago
    Thanks Gary, was hoping to do the doors too as we have French windows in one of the rooms :'(
  • hillary59
    8 years ago

I love the colour change to grey from white /brown but definitely pay close attention to NW window Repairs above and other Pros .. Interior Upvc painting is one thing but exterior should probably be left to professionals because of potential for cracking due to the exposure to the elements.

You would need a week of stable mild weather for it to be completed and to cure i imagine.

(Not sure we get that in the UK! )

As NW said the vital paints for this work arent available at DIY stores.

I notice someone felt that they hated the windows so much they didnt have a lot to lose.I think thats very relevant because if the outside work didnt stand the test of time you might need new windows within a few years after all that work.

I can see why everyones having a go because the results are so transforming.

• Kelly Byrne
    8 years ago

Hi @MathewDecorator, which Zinsser shellac paint is it? their is one called BIN Shellac and another called Bulls Eye Shellac.

• Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago
    can I ask what masking products you all used? the seal on my frames is very narrow so I'm not sure how to tackle it.
  • PRO
    Glassar Projects
    8 years ago

At builditsmart.co.uk our guys always use the green or blue masking tape. Our painter said it was funny as soon as they started to sell the more expensive green or blue masking tape the quality of ordinary masking went terrible forcing our guys to use the more expensive stuff. It might be his paranoia or maybe some type of masking tape conspiracy theory....any hooo go for the green or blue it costs a little more but it will save you hours in cleaning. But as always the prep in any paint job must be perfect to get a perfect finish.

hope this helped

builditsmart.co.uk

• Tracy Sidaway
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the advice.
  • Matt
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all. I'm currently doing exactly this...and struggling! I'm not painting window frames but uPVC interior window sills. The previous owners, in their wisdom decided to paint them (no idea why), and they looked awful. I've therefore sanded them right back to within an inch of their life and now they need re-painting.

I bought some Zinsser BIN paint to apply a couple of coats to then cover with a couple of coats of Satinwood to finish.

But... After applying the first coat of Zinsser BIN, once dry after an hour it scrapes off with my finger which means I'm wondering whether to carry on. Will further coats of Zinsser and Satinwood stop it from scraping off?

HELP!

• Matt
    7 years ago

• Tracy Sidaway
    7 years ago
    The Zinnser takes a week to cure.
    I would persevere with it.
  • Matt
    7 years ago
    I did wonder if that might be the case. Will do the top coats of satinwood and leave well alone!
  • carolgriffiths
    6 years ago
    2 years on and my bathroom window still looks good. Have now painted all outside brown windows grey. What a transformation. My house is white masonry so the grey looks great just need to see how long it lasts as I live in the Highlands. Had some great comments from the builders who were quite sceptical.
  • Sarah Jackson
    6 years ago

I'm so glad I found this - moving to a house with dark brown upvc windows and I want to paint the interior frames white. lots of useful info here! Can anyone who's done it give me an indication as to how long it takes to do one window from start to finish? I know it will depend on size but a ballpark would be useful. Are we talking hours? Days?

• carolgriffiths
    6 years ago
    Hi
    I would say it takes a few days. Take your time and clean well before you start. It really works. I have just done the outside of my house but used weathershield upvc paint but don't know how long it will last. The interior windows, done with Zinseer are still looking perfect after 2 years. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Glassar Projects
    6 years ago

Great little group I intended to paint my original house window frames but ended up changing them to anthracite grey. But love everyone's initiative to painting them and seeing all the great results on here. More pics would be good good luck with all the Projects guys

• Mary Johnston
    6 years ago

I am keen to paint my windows too as they are brown on the inside. Can someone please tell me can i just paint it on with a brush or roller rather than spray paint as that seems like it could be messy and create runs.

• G Arnold
    6 years ago
    Yep you can brush or roller. with brush you generally won't get as smooth a finish but it can still turn out nice. the key is the preparation of the surface and the choice of primer and paint... all as outlined in this thread. the windows I painted still look good over 3 years later.
  • fuller990
    6 years ago

I have painted my pvc white front door black with dulux multi surface paint. I did use zinnser primer first although the paint didn't say it needed to be primed first. My door is south facing so is in plenty of full sun and so far is holding up well I painted it around 18 months ago.

• Alexandra Chapman
    4 years ago

A few people have recommended spray painting the windows, can anyone please recommend what they used to do this. Thanks

• mii2
    4 years ago

The reincarnation of a 4 year old post......zzz

• Tani H-S
    4 years ago

@mii2 - the reason the previous poster commented is because they are after advice as well and hoped someone on the thread might have already used a spray paint.
    Not a problem to revive a thread if someone is asking advice and not just commenting on it ;0)

• I’m also interested to know if anyone has spray painted upvc recently as well themselves. I painted mine in a previous house and it was fine because I painted over wood effect pvc do it didn’t show brush marks. Spray finish would be preferable
  • PRO
    YES Glazing Solutions
    4 years ago

@Tani H-S

Most professionals that refurbish uPVC windows will spray. You need the right equipment, you must prepare the surfaces properly before applying and most importantly you need the right paint (that properly bonds to the surface, has UV protection and thermal movement elasticity). If you don't use a professional and you have problems, you can always get a quote for new windows from YES Glazing Solutions - our windows are available in over 200 RAL colours!

https://www.yesglazingsolutions.co.uk

• HU-350695312
    4 years ago

We have a upvc spraying company, UPVC Spraying Swansea and found this question.

We always say that you need to take time to prepare the surface first, making sure its clean, dry and free from dust or mould. This will allow the paint to stick to the upvc best.

We use spray guns just because they are quicker and give a more even finish but some people we have spoke to have used a brush and they have some lines which does kind of give a wooden grain look after.

Good question, thank you for asking

• Kon Rad
    3 years ago

Hi @carolgriffiths, was just wondering if the exterior painting on your windows was still holding up ok 4 years on? Am thinking of doing exterior windows and wanted to check...

Cheers!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.