yolanda_addy

Please help to add colour and personality to my family kitchen!

Yolanda Addy
6 years ago

I hope someone out there can give me some much needed help!

Three years ago I opened up the kitchen space to create a kitchen dining area plus utility, but I still haven’t finished the final touches to make a nice coherent space with personality and interest.

My aim is to create a lovely warm welcoming family kitchen, I'd like to highlight FAMILY as I have two children and a dog so it needs to be easy clean and a space children can use for art/craft, cooking, birthday parties etc. My kids love cooking and so do I.

I chose a shaker kitchen in a pale putty colour with Silestone ‘Blanco norte’ coloured worktops, I was aiming for a traditional/modern feel kitchen that could easily be updated in the future by changing wall colours, furniture, pictures, accessories etc. But the colour of the units and worktops has caused me endless amounts of problems in completing my dream kitchen! I find the whole space very boring and uninspiring and I can’t find tiles/splashback that complement both the worktops and units.

It's quite a light space with lots of sunshine coming through the windows and large skylights (I think it’s South West facing). But most of the light is in the dining /sofa area and the kitchen area is a bit darker (but not too bad). I originally wanted colourful patterned blinds but in the end opted for Magic Screen blinds, we use the blinds a lot when it’s very sunny and these block out the sun but we can still see out into the garden, they work brilliantly but this has now added more blandness to the space!

I do prefer the kitchen in the evening when the island and side lights are on and the blinds are down, it feels warmer and cosier, during the day it feels a bit sparse.

I like scandi style, eclectic interiors, pattern, colour, modern mid century design, combination of colours.

Things that can be changed or added to the kitchen are sofa cushions, throw, wall paint, table cover (PVC so easily cleaned), stools by Island, tiles/splashback behind main kitchen and in utility, lights above island (these aren't old but I'm willing to consider other options if they add to the overall space).

My current ideas are;

Paint two walls in a dark greyish colour to add depth and warmth and to highlight the retro unit and to complement the wallpaper that's behind the sofa. First wall is the one behind the vertical radiator/utility room door and the other wall is behind the retro sideboard. Would this work? Currently have sample of F&B Inchyra Blue on the wall.

Hang framed prints on the wall above the retro sideboard (cover entire wall in a mixture of different sized prints and photos)?

Something I really have to do is a splashback (haven't a clue which tiles to choose, I have about 30 samples in mostly greys, blues and whites but I don't think any work with the colour of the cupboards and worktop). I have considered metro tiles, hexagon tiles, herringbone layout and brick layout. Or I could add upstands in the same quartz, paint the wall and add a glass splashback behind the cooker, but what colour!?Plus i’m worried this will may look too modern?

Also I need to tile the splashback in my utility, possibly using a patterned tile (see pic of tile below that I like)?

I think my lack of self-confidence has created a space which is so uninspiring and bland, I see many interior spaces i love but struggle to do it myself! I just hope I can get some advice that can push me forward in completing this very overdue project! My aim is to complete this space before I start the lounge! :)

I have include a photo of the office (red sofa and fire place) which I’ve recently completed to show you the style I like, (just needs some pics on the wall).

Thanks for your help

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.