emmelinewe

POLL: Do you change your home according to the seasons?

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago

We're often told that we can easily update our homes and interiors according to the seasons. With throws, cushions and other soft furnishings, it's quick and easy to give your home a new facelift - but how many of us really do it? Let us know below!

Putney House · More Info

Yes!
No!
Other - tell us below!

Comments (44)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Emmeline,

I am not sure I could be bothered to think in terms of spring and summer in the home... Other than.. yes.. maybe changing flowers.. but apart from that.. the only winter look is a Christmas Tree! and or my teeth chattering when I haven't lit the fire.. Or putting bob my cat around my neck for warmth! and the luxe "alive" look.. cos she's purrrrrfect! Oh and a bauble possibly, on the tree.. or 500!. : ) )

• Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    nope,no tree,tinsel,deer heads on plaques,or other tat for this miser,no siree !! summer doesn't really happen much in these parts,glasgohnoitsrainingagain! so its wellies and sou'westers all year round....sorry, that's a no..I'll get my coat...its waterproo....bye
  • Related Discussions

POLL: How close are you to achieving your dream home?

Q

Comments (15)
    Half-way, perhaps, to having something very comfortable, individual and accommodating in my present home. Nowhere near the listed, detached property of my girlhood fantasies (now embellished with a library, gym, sauna, conservatory, craft room, laundry, mudroom, greenhouse and generous garden acreage). But perhaps that's for the best... fantasies never take account of the hoovering and dusting!
    ...See More

POLL: How often do you cook at home?

Q

Comments (24)
    Cook most days - like others above, well into slow cooker season now and always have it bubbling right to the top so that I can decant into portions and freeze for later on. Have lots of crumbles in the freezer - love a blackberry and apple crumble in the middle of winter and remembering the lovely sunny days in late summer when we went out blackberrying! Favourite cake at the moment to cook is lemon drizzle and have had a run on cooking roasted vegetables and roast lamb for guests recently - found a lovely recipe of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, chopped rosemary and thyme for the vegetables to be marinaded in beforehand! Yummy!
    ...See More

POLL: What type of decorations do you prefer on your Christmas tree?

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm with eimearcahill, there is absolutely NOTHING tasteful about my Christmas decorations, it's excess everywhere. I did suggest when my daughters both got to their twenties that I might scale things back a bit but, after a reaction that could have earned them a walk on part in The Grinch who Stole Christmas, I realised that it was obviously very important that I spent the best part of a day turning the house into Santa's grotto :D I now have a granddaughter so I am resigned to many more years to come....
    ...See More

POLL: Where do you start when decorating your living room?

Q

Comments (23)
    Furniture and flooring need to be long stay options, so I would choose these first, then introduce colors of walls from curtains and pick it up in cushions and rug. that way it is easy to freshen up room in a few years without changing the major expenses e.g. new paint color and cushions
    ...See More
  • angelinalim
    8 years ago
    It is always 'summer' at this part of the world. Is more like decorating for certain festival rather than seasons.
  • angelboyman
    8 years ago
    What are you? Crazy? Changing the decor for the seasons. Sorry, I said no but maybe that's a lie. In the winter, usually December time, we always put up a big green tree that has shiny balls and bright lights on it, as well as other seasonal decorations.....
  • Shelly Anne
    8 years ago

I always decorate for Christmas (and I mean Christmas, and to me that's the middle of December at the earliest) and Halloween etc but when I've gone to the trouble to decorate my house just how I like it, it would seem a bit weird to introduce season specific decor. I mean I love Autumn colours but how would they fit with my plum/grey/metallic front room?

• Lynn
    8 years ago
    I change curtains and cushions seasonally. Currently red for winter and green for summer. Everything else is neutral. May try lemon in spring.
  • Lisa de Araujo
    8 years ago
    I change around various things. Darker towels, heavier bedclothes, maybe a change of cushions in the lounge, to suit the season.
  • Oran
    8 years ago

Cushions, throws, blankets, placemats etc.. - all change or are removed completely in the living & bedroom spaces for the seasons......why wouldn't you!

• mimosin24
    8 years ago
    Yes, I do. I live next to the sea so in the summer I decorate my house with light coloured soft furnishings to make it feel cool and fresh, as it can get rather hot where I live. Especially the curtains are lighter coloured and less lined to let in the fresh sea breeze. In the winter I change to darker colours and more heavily lined curtains to keep the cold out and make my house warm.
  • Gerry Rust
    8 years ago

I don't need any excuse to change my house, seasonal or otherwise!

• Vanadis Ward
    8 years ago

In a world where I had money to waste, I would if course layer my sofa up in winter in faux furs and perhaps even put up some thermally lined curtains; in spring and summer faux fur would be swapped for cotton cushions and and thermal curtains for voile. But with all due respect, who has the time to organise all this? It's a beautiful fantasy and perhaps I'm just old and bitter but my home has to work for me not me work for my home. Seasonal flowers and food are a more viable of indicating the seasons for little outlay and time.

• PRO
    Katherine Crouch Garden Design
    8 years ago

no, apart for flowers and Christmas.

• soozmacrae
    8 years ago

Yes, but not the whole hog. Different curtains, cushions, scents and flowers.

• Sherbert Barnes
    8 years ago
    Yes I do!! Obviously far too much time on my hands! Sitting room has just been 'dressed' for winter! Pure wool throws, log basket, coal scuttle ready for action! Bath towels have changed colour and are more sumptuous for winter, lamps moved around in the dinning room and table runners pressed and starched ready for winter roasts... Flower scheme already decided for Christmas!.... Going to have ivory roses this year with blue sea holly thistles and some evergreen. Christmas decorations have been moved down from the loft this weekend and all fairy lights tested!! Haven't started burning winter spice candles yet, but that is just around the corner! But have already checked store cupboards for cinnamon sticks, vanilla pods and star anise! Christmas cake has had his first drink and recipe books are back in use and scattered about as I peruse their pictures, deciding what to cook. In the garden, leaves are all now down and collected, ground has been turned over in all the beds and a few extra bulbs have been planted under winter pansies so as to ward off Mr Squirrel!! I just assume this is all normal stuff for winter!!
  • PRO
    Empatika Bespoke Fitted Furniture
    8 years ago

What a waste, it's bad enough that fashion changes so much and people throw stuff out all the time...

• Gerry Rust
    8 years ago

Sherbert Barnes Sounds lovely! - can I come to yours for Christmas? ;)

• marivon1
    8 years ago

I ring the seasons with cushions, throws, candles etc., in colours! Winter is silver greys, white and sparkly objects to reflect candle light etc. BUT as Empatika said, I do not throw away! They are all inter-linked by colour, texture or design and can be washed/cleaned and safely stored away until the next season/fashion arrives!

• bruket
    8 years ago

Yes, I do. I like lighter colours for summer and warmer colours for winter. I am sure that Anna who features in the Swedish house changes her look depending on the season. I think it makes a home more interesting. Why not have some fun if you have the time and energy to do it?

• lisjonok
    8 years ago

I always think it'd be such a good idea to change the atmosphere according to the season using decor features, but it's just so much hassle and storage is another issue. So flowers are probably the only thing i do. But i still i think it would be so nice to make changes through the year.

• ramblingdoll
    8 years ago

I do! Light touches, but I do. I change flowers, go from light silk and coloured cushions to more "textured" cushions like fur, wool, velvet in greys, beige and off white hues, I also light much more candles in the evening, and then, start to incorporate more gold accents here and there to keep everything sparkly. In November, I start to mix regular cushions with snowflake embroided cushions, I incorporate winter themed candle holders in my decor until it gets completely Winter wonderland for Christmas. I also change the bedding, bouquets in every room, towels in the bathroom.

• PRO
    The White Kitchen Company
    8 years ago
    Christmas aside, not sure that major overhauls per season are very realistic or pocket friendly. That said, rearranging free standing furniture to work with the season is always good. also, there are small changes that have a strong effect - doors to the garden open more frequently, flowers, bowls of seasonal fruit and refeshing aromas make the house feel more like spring and summer. extra candles, fluffy throws, shaggy rugs and umbrella stands are always token autumn and winter additions.
  • melodych
    8 years ago

Yes! We've just changed the house to winter mode and although it's effort, the twice yearly changes give our home a new lease of life. In winter, this means all rugs are cleaned and the stair carpet too, plus we change our sofas over to cream covers and red cushions in both rooms. In summer, it's all blues and seaside patterns. Curtains and throws are changed over too - even framed pictures, with the 'winter' pictures stored behind the beach scenes. We also change ornaments in the reception rooms; reds/creams/oranges for now and jades/turquoises/creams and blues for summer. We buy nothing new and if anything, this practice extends the life of rugs/sofa covers/curtains because they get a deep clean once a year and are only 'in service' for 6 months our of every 12. All this requires a neutral colour scheme on walls and floors - and careful storage.

• PRO
    Katherine Crouch Garden Design
    8 years ago

the one quick fix I fancy is the disco light bulb in the Querkity catalogue for party time!

• k11agl
    8 years ago
    I think ideally I would like to do it, but I don't have the space to store the off-season items. That's why the only changes you will see are the disappearance of winter coats, scarves and hats from the coat rack in the entrance hall, and probably the trees displaying their seasonal colours in the garden.
  • Ann Ellis
    8 years ago

I change the cover to the bed head nd the bed cover. Matching textured white from May. Embroidered wool fabric bed headband velvet cover from October. I love the. change.

• PRO
    cushions.co.uk
    8 years ago

I love the size of the geometric cushion shown.

• PRO
    cushions.co.uk
    8 years ago
    I'm all in favour of making small changes for a big impact. Seasonal cushions anyone?
  • PRO
    Bazaar Velvet
    8 years ago

I think its lovely to change you room slightly according to the seasons, it can make the room seem fresh and new. It doesn't have to take a lot of time or effort, maybe just swap around some of the ornaments that are on display with ones that are tucked away is cupboards, change cushions and throws, even swap a heavy rug for a lightweight kelim.

• PRO
    Maria Spencer Interiors Ltd
    7 years ago

I voted No!

• PRO
    Live Love Smile
    7 years ago

yes, I think adding a few new cushions is a great way to spruce up a room for a new season!

• PRO
    Bardoe & Appel
    7 years ago

yes I like seasonal furniture

• Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago

I have different curtains for summer and winter, but that's for the same reasons (the cold/draughts) that my grandparents did it.

• PRO
    Sue McLaughlin Garden Art Designs
    7 years ago

Use annuals to fill those boarders in between seasons to extend the summer in your garden.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We certainly change the decorations for the various holidays, especially Christmas and Mardi Gras (carnival).

• lisa77226
    7 years ago
    I love having a reason to rearrange things and rotate favourite trinkets
  • PRO
    Bio Fires
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Any excuse to inject the home with a new life, even if it's just small adjustments to uplift and refresh the home.

• rainydaysuzy
    7 years ago

Where do these people find the room to store a house full of seasonal changes?

• PRO
    KRA Visionary Project Partners
    7 years ago

Yes, absolutely. It's great to add small changes in your home, even if it is changing the flowers in the room to daffodils for the spring time or putting a pop of colour with cushions for the sofa, a small change can make the difference in any room. Decorating for the seasonal festive i.e. Halloween or Christmas is also a big part of showing your unique style in how you decorate.

• peediewee
    7 years ago

where on earth would you store all your 'seasonal' soft furnishings when you weren't using them? not everyone's got masses of storage space.

• melodych
    7 years ago

Vacuum pack storage bags are your friends, with this task! They shrink small and can carry throws, curtains and scatter cushion covers. We store the spare sofa covers in 2 cupboards and (few) ornaments in an old hamper basket that doubles up as a coffee table. Just done the changeover and it feels great.

• PRO
    Persona Abode
    7 years ago
    I change various items such as cushions, throws and window treatment arrangements.
  • hutchsl
    6 years ago

Same here, change cushions/bedding to something more spring summery. New candle scents etc Often change the accessories around too, putting some away for 6 months or so. (getting them back out when I'm bored of the old ones) Walls/curtains etc stay the same. Change is good as a rest and all that!!!

• Coco Nuts
    6 years ago

No I just turn the heating up or down.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.