pearriverparents

Sink in Island or No sink in island?

pearriverparents
9 years ago
Hello - We are trying to figure out if we should put a sink in our island or not. Below are two pics of our kitchen. We striked the wall oven in the back to make for a more linear look. Our fridge is a bit far from the sink which is why we are considering this.....but really......does it really matter? Our kitchen is not so enormous that this is an issue in our minds - but wanted to throw this out to the masses.....What do you think?

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    In order for the "triangle" to work, sink, stove and fridge have to be within 108" of each other, so right now they may be too far. If you put the sink on the island, it will solve that problem. I've never met any client who would regret having an extra sink. They usually regret not having one.
  • PRO
    Michelle Robinson
    9 years ago
    Think about how you use your space. Will the island be more of a prep space? Will you gather there for quick breakfast or lunch? Do you have a large family with lots of people around during food prep? How you use the island would be the determining factor with the sink. A second sink is always nice, but not necessarily right for everyone.
  • Related Discussions

• Gina P
    9 years ago
    I would definitely put in the second sink. Your kitchen looks pretty large and could really benefit from it. It also looks like your kitchen could handle a larger island also maybe an L shaped one with the longer side facing the main sink and the shorter side running parallel to the range. This would be where I would house the second sink ( right across from the range). You can still extend the countertop for seating. But if you are dead set against the second sink I would at the very least put in a pot filler over the cooktop. I don’t think you would regret wither one.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Right now, the kitchen is too large and the use points and work zones too spread out. The island is in the middle, in the way of all of those points. It prevents you from having good workflow. Put the seating on the other side, and add a prep sink on the fridge side. Or keep the seating as is and move the fridge to the sink wall. And still add the prep sink in order to better split the prep and cleanup functions and allow multiple workrs.
  • pearlriverm
    9 years ago
    Island will be for quick lunch/breakfast/prep.....I look at it as a place to put foot out for people to get.....buffet etc.....It is a 4 X 6 island.....I don't want a sink, but don't want to regret not having one. We have plenty of counter space everywhere.....I do not think it'll be a "long walk" anywhere.....Dunno....
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    9 years ago
    Also I would look into turning the island and having it "face" the range. Having the seating with back against the fridge can be a problem sometimes, it will function better turned 90 degrees.
  • pearlriverm
    9 years ago
    What if we put the sink on the back wall on the countertop between the fridge and the back wall?
  • User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Mentally walk through reparing a simple meal in this space. It's a workout.

Spaghetti and a salad.

Go to pantry and grab spaghetti and canned tomatoes. Set on island, then walk around island to grab pasta pot and go around the corner to tne sink to fill it, then around the corner again to put it on the stovetop. I hope the salt will be stored in one of the drawers, otherwise it's another trip to the pantry for that. Grab a skillet, put in some olive oil, then oops, you need the garlic and an onion, so back around the island you go to fetch those and back around the island again to grab a knife and cutting board to smash the garlic and chop the onion. Dump the chopped veggies in the skillet, then go around the island to the sole water source to rinse off your good knife and the cutting board to use with the salad. Place those back on the island, then go around tne island again for the ,lettuce, tomato, and some mushrooms from the fridge to the salad. Set those on the island, then go around it again to where you set the cutting board.

*I'm* tired, and I'm just doing that mentally! And only halfwy through the meal with more walking to come. You'll need rollerskates.
  • pearriverparents
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Sabrina - but we have little kids and do not want range in island.
  • jt6512
    9 years ago
    I
  • jt6512
    9 years ago
    I would opt not to have a sink in the island. The island will quickly become the main area where friends and family gather for drinks, food and projects. Having a sink with dirty dishes or the dishes piled up ready to be dried will ruin the look and also be in everyone's line of sight. I would suggest putting a small sink near the fridge.
  • pearlriverm
    9 years ago
    Our final decision is not to have a sink in the island......We just walked the space and it really is not that big.....
  • User
    9 years ago
    It's not about the size. It's about the function. A second source of water in a kitchen is the most valuable addition that can be made. Did you place a bunch of cardboard boxes in the middle that you have to walk around every time? Do that. And if you still don't want a prep sink, the fridge needs to go on the same wall as the sink. The sink is the biggest conflict zone when you have more than one worker. Everyone always needs access at the same time.
    pearriverparents thanked User
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    9 years ago
    Regardless of the island, you should rethink your wall cabinets, which are awkward. Instead of plunking a box or two between every window, consider grouping an equivalent amount of storage in one area as full-height units, and allowing some of the wall space to be open. This would help your kitchen to appear more current. Finally, the style of range hood cabinet you are showing is very dated. Use a simple range hood that looks like what it is. regards, S*
  • pearriverparents
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Sophie. If there is more than one worker, it will just be my wife. This kitchen is mostly for me......That's it.
  • hturnbow
    9 years ago
    What is the name of the design program you used? Looks nice!
  • boundsgreener
    9 years ago
    Great decision on not having a sink in the island! Islands always end up being gathering and party places and you don't need something getting in the way of that lovely platter of cheese....or the kids trying to play with the taps while they are supposed to be eating breakfast.

If you have loads of counterspace and you are in doubt, put a small one next to the fridge.
  • belletriste
    9 years ago
    I have a huge kitchen, two of everything, including two sinks: one in island, one on a wall counter. I regret having the sink in the island. I love my island for serving buffets for various events, and the sink is always in the way. In addition, the kids dump stuff into the smaller, island sink and just leave it. It has been a constant headache and now that I'm down-sizing and remodeling another home, I will not put a sink into my new island. I prefer the island for prep.
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    Does the orientation of the island bother anyone else besides me? There's an overhang that implies a seating area. Why is it not oriented towards the other seating area with the table and chairs? That way, if you have overflow at one seating area, the others are still seated near enough to hear the conversation.
  • User
    9 years ago
    There's a lot of issues that bother me with this kitchen, but the OP didn't come into the discussion with an open mind and isn't open to making any changes.
  • JRH76
    9 years ago
    This is pretty much my kitchen with some minor differences. My island is 4X8 but my range side is shorter than yours by one cabinet. Yes it's a large kitchen and I LOVE all the space - you will too. I do not have a sink in my island, it is one big beautiful prep space and I love it. Occasionally when I bake I use the whole 8 foot island. We love to entertain and it's a great space to put out all the food in a buffet. I don't ever miss having a sink in the island and I prefer the "clean" uncluttered look of the big counter top.

My pantry is around the corner behind the fridge. Picture walking around your fridge cabinet into a walk in pantry. Yes, it is a lot of walking but you learn to be more efficient and sit things on your island from one side then walk around to the prep side once you've taken everything from the fridge. You learn to put the stuff you use at the stove in a cabinet next to the stove, etc... You have lots of cabinets and a nice large kitchen. Think of all the walking as exercise!
  • etyoung
    9 years ago
    We just funished a kitchen renovation with an island that is about 4 x 7 and opted not to put in a sink; a decision I don't regret. It keeps the area open for prep, baking, crafts. We also have numerous laptops, ipads, newspaper etc that we use often on the island and didn't want to introduce a water source on that surface.
    pearriverparents thanked etyoung
  • pearriverparents
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Sophie.....I will listen to JRH76 - This is perfect for our needs......
  • PRO
    Construction Guaranteed
    9 years ago
    Cannot go wrong with second sink. Location and size is important.
  • User
    9 years ago
    You don't have to have a sink *on the island* to create better function here, but the second sink IS needed. Prep requires adjaceny to water for efficiency,and it's 70% of the time spent in the kitchen. All efforts should be directed towards creating the prep zone unimpeded by obstacles. A source of water on the same side as the fridge will do that. It could be in the corner between the fridge and range if you like.

And the island should be turned, as the natural site for prep is on the side where you currently have seating. The better orientation would be parallel to the range, but that will reduce the number of seats that can be done. Thus the suggestion, if seating is high on the requirements, to turrn the orientaton of the island 180.

Optimum kitchen design is based on scientific observation of actual time work studies, not anecdotal information from those who adapt to less than optimum conditions. Humans are adaptable animals and can get used to pretty much anything if they have to. You have a clean slate, and a chance to not build in mistakes that will annoy you for the life of the home. There is no reason in the world to plan in dysfunction from the beginning.
  • pearriverparents
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I understand what you mean Sophie, however, there are many people that have posted that they do not have a sink and they are just fine and also there are a few that posted that they did a sink and regret doing it. Lastly, yes, I agree about the island and it's positioning and where the chairs are facing......That island is going to be tweaked for sure, but we do not want a sink.
  • Laura
    9 years ago
    Didn't see the dimensions listed anywhere but I do have to agree with flipping the island so the backs of the seats are to the table in the room. When remodeling our kitchen (after taping it out on the floor) we flipped the island last minute. I do not regret it. Think how the chairs will be in your way when getting food from the fridge. I am able to grab breakfast for the kids, turn and put it right on the island without them in the way.
  • dashley
    9 years ago
    This layout is much like my daughters; architect designed. After working in it for 3 years she has found she walks miles....maybe a good thing? She has two sinks, one in the island which is hardly used. Hmmm. I may not be helping but wanted to share.
    I think there is something to say for galley kitchens if you are wanting efficiency.
    It really has a lot to do with lifestyle and number of folks in the house. Good luck.
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    9 years ago
    Look up kitchen work zones and work zone theory. That can help you to understand the reasons behind some of the suggestions that you have received. It's really easy to change things on paper. Not so much once it's been constructed.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I like to have the sink and fridge within close proximity for offloading and prepping of foods. The extra sink could be your prep sink since it is there with the fridge.
  • pearriverparents
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We are thinking about putting the prep sink to the right of the fridge in the corner by the back wall? What do you think?
  • Laura
    9 years ago
    Great compromise and will give you the prep area you need. I'm still pushing for flipping the island the other way though :)
  • PRO
    Signature Metal Works
    9 years ago
    Sink in island I think is a great idea!
  • pearriverparents
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We will flip island......also, still not 100% sold on sink idea.....Our kitchen is not enormous.....and our sink up front is huge.
  • agevm
    9 years ago
    We have an 8 1/2 x 4 ft. Island and no sink. Our layout is similar to yours except our fridge is to the right of the sink. (We have no door there, but a small butler's pantry leading to the dining room.) I say no sink. I don't think you will miss it at all unless you have large dinner parties or where several people are preparing meals. I like the uninterrupted space. The only thing I see is having to walk around the island to get to the fridge. I guess that's why you have the suggestions to turn the island the other way. I like ours where chairs are facing the 6 ft. window looking into our rear yard. One thing we did also was put all of our electrical plugs under the cabinets to have a nice clean look on our backsplash. (No extra charge) Send us the pics when you are done...and best of luck. Been through a very large remodel and it can be stressful.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    How many steps will you take with armloads of food to get from fridge to sink?
  • izerreg
    7 years ago

What are the overall dimensions of this space? My guess is about 20'x19'? And what is the ceiling height?

Is that a pass-through located to the right of the refrigerator?

Is there a focal point from the double (triple?) windows over the current sink location? Is that a patio door to the right of the sink? If yes, what are it's dimensions?

I apologize if any of these figures were already discussed. I read through and thoroughly enjoyed this exchange of ideas and concepts (some of it more than once).

I must say, the free advise offered by the professionals here is a priceless gift they give to us all. I think we owe them a big, warm "Thank You"! Without you, this site wouldn't be the incredibly useful resource it has become.

• km kane
    7 years ago
    I really don't think you need another sink. For heavens sake, the kitchen isn't so enormous! As for a work triangle, that's 1950 speaking, when only one person - "the lady of the house" - did all the cooking. Now several people can work in the kitchen so think of work zones.
  • Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I've had islands with and without sinks, I prefer without. But I think you may want a pot filler over your stove.
  • PRO
    Jana Kadlicová - JK DECO
    7 years ago

As for me, I instantly prevent my clients to place a sink into the island. The purpose is to have clear breakfast space instead of "working" hole with some dirty dishes.

• silverqueenbnb
    7 years ago
    Rotate the island so it is parallel to the range. Keeps seating and people out of the middle of your work area. I'd go for a prep sink with a disposal, personally. Also a bigger sink by the window...something large enough to wash a stockpot and a roasting pan.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.