ghesp

Smooth decking for UK?

ghesp
8 years ago

Our decking has been laid quite badly, and has rotted away that it needs completely gutting and redoing.

We've got a 20 year old house so a fairly traditional modern design and the inside has been completely redone to a high end modern standard.

We're just trying to decide on how to do the garden as we quite like the modern gardens rather than traditional ones, and smooth decking looks very nice.

This poses an issue though, most smooth decking appears to be hardwood, and quite simply something like Balau would cost us around £300 for the deck alone.

I did a bit of reading, and i've heard that you can get the more traditional compressed wood decking in a smooth finish, then simply oil it ad varnish it how you like, and you end with the same modern look of hardwood.

Is there any truth to this, and can anyone advise where to get it from and what stain/varnish to use? I'm struggling to find any, and B&Q is not the place to get it from. Their selection was poor.

Some pictures of the styles we like:

Dickson Property · More Info

ETHAN CARMEL ARCHITECTS · More Info

You get the idea

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.