webuser_422523315

Tiny home revamp costs and ideas

Tony Maloney
5 years ago

Hello,

I've got a small 2 bed back to back terraced home in Cheshire. I live on my own and have toyed with the idea of moving, ideally to an older home that'll need a full renovation. However, I'm put off by the costs associated with moving so I've decided to stay put and spend some money on my current property.

It's around 15 years old now and started to feel tired and dated. I moved in 3 years ago and I'm due to remortgage my fixed rate deal in a few months, so looking to borrow a little bit more than needed to spend on the revamp. The walls have been mostly badly finished in magnolia, the laminate floor in the living room/kitchen's started to lift and all the built in appliances are original and likely to die at some point. I'm tired of beating myself up over the prospect of increasing the mortgage by what won't exactly be a huge amount I just want to get on and do it. I'm figuring for what'll be an extra £40 a month based on adding £10K to it I'd rather come home to a home I'd enjoy living in.

The footprint of the home is really small - the floorplans and dimensions are pictured below - and I'm wanting to refit the kitchen, bathroom, add engineered wooden floors upstairs and down except bathroom and cloakroom, and replace the internal doors with heavier solid ones. I'm looking for a reasonable quality fit out, so maybe a kitchen from Wickes or Howdens, and perhaps an Ideal Standard bathroom that's not fully tiled on each wall.

I've put some costings together and wondered whether you reckon I'm anywhere close? The costs are just for materials only, and not labour.

I'm figuring on maybe £3-4K labour / 3-4 weeks work on top of this - I'm in the north west so estimating £200 a day for somebody who's able to do the job lot of the floors, kitchen and bathroom.

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated. Is any of this realistic?

Comments (24)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.