webuser_71660

torn between kitchen styles

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Trying to make a decision about the kitchen as the extension is starting in a couple of months and so it will need to be ordered soon.

I originally wanted something a bit more industrial in the new extension so it wasn’t just a white box as I had the white kitchen in my last house and it didn’t work with shedding black dogs

I LOVE darker kitchen units- teemed with black & metallics BUT, I’m torn between the sleek newer kitchen designs and the traditional looking wood kitchens that seem to work better with the style I want I would have got an old kitchen and painted it up - keeping the cost down, but I love pan drawers and hate cupboards so that made me steer away from them.

I originally wanted the units to be black but might end up going charcoal due to budget and whats available in a nice black wood look (the kitchen will be south facing so will get lots of light and also show up dust easily!)

Added some examples of what I love (not necessarily what we can afford) so you can see what I’m thinking of vs a German sleek kitchen style which is maybe a slate texture with bronze effect panelling.

Do you guys think a modern kitchen in the colours I want could work as more industrial/modern? I don’t have a warehouse or loft apt so not exactly working with what I have already

Any tips if I do go with a charcoal tone German kitchen ie should I have a rich walnut toned floor or keep it all greys??

Comments (67)

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Thanks y'all, for liking my kitchen :-) I designed it myself. Knew exactly how it should look. Problem was finding the company that could deliver it. Karen from OnePlan did the drawings and also did a 3D design, so we could sort of virtually stand in it and see how it would look.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Okay, last one... Doors to pantry
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen style to suit young kids.

Q

Comments (11)
    My MIL has a white gloss kitchen & it does show every mark but I suspect she doesn't wipe it down so often whilst we are staying as it make sense with my 3 kids! We currently have an (inherited) wrap around shaker door with vertical grooves which has been easy to maintain but is peeling away at the edges now. I think a good plan would be to take my 3 to a kitchen chain & monitor fingerprint making as they open/close doors! Thanks everyone again....I will have to make a decision at some point....
    ...See More

POLL: shaker style kitchen vs Modern Kitchen

Q

Comments (102)
    I love both, and they each have their good points and are suited to different settings. As a designer, though, I often prefer the Shaker designs - I don't know why, but they often seem to provide a bit more scope for creativity! Caldicot Kitchens
    ...See More

Which shaker kitchen style?

Q

Comments (18)
    I think an in-frame kitchen looks better in a large kitchen as all the extra lines from the frames and doors can look too busy in a smaller room. Also for practicality you need wider units as you lose so much space due to the width of the frames so 300 wide units are reduced to only a 260 door. The cost of the doors is usually quite a bit more as there's more to them, installation is going to cost more as there's more items to fit and the number of accessories available is less. One other thing with living with an in-frame kitchen is keeping the insides clean, instead of just being able to give the inside of the cupboard a quick wipe down you have the lip of the frame to contend with. We have our cabinets made so the bottom of the frame is in line with the bottom shelf of the cupboard to get around this. Many thanks Lifestyle Kitchens
    ...See More

Will I have any space between Island and kitchen unit?

Q

Comments (15)
    It's Schuller and the designer only drew what I wanted. He hasn't given me any alternative layouts yet. Do you think they will make another design for me before I sign the contract? To be honest, It's been so so hard for choosing a kitchen brand because of people's attitude in the North East. I went to Howdens and Wren as well as Bespoke but the owner of Howdens wasn't nice and didn't give me any information because I asked for a business account and mentioned about my builder who has a very good partnership with him. So he didn't want to give me any prices. Wren's designer was very rude and had a terrible attitude but I quite liked Wren's true handleless design only if I had a well mannered designer. Bespoke designer was very experienced and quite liked but they don't make true handleless. Also he said I have to be committed other than that he wouldn't give me any quote and if I am not buying it's wasting his time. I couldn't believe he said that. Lastly, I went to Schuller and I expected that it will be very expensive but it was actually a lot less than Wren and designer and the owner was so polite and quality in my eyes was very good. All in all quite happy with them except they don't make custom sizes.
    ...See More
  • E D
    5 years ago

C, I vaguely remember seeing one or two of your pics before. Your kitchen wasn't featured in a Houzz story by any chance, was it?

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    The dog is alive, by the way :-)
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No, not in a Houzz story :-)

So, that was my kitchen. Sorry for going on about it. Colourhappy started it ;-) Just hope it shows that two different brands/cabinet styles can work together.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Tani, can you share the layout you're going for? Or isn't that definite yet?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's great, thank you. Yes very different but because the two colours are so different as well, the contrast works.

I know flooring wise I either want a warmer/richer wood (not tiled) or a grey tone so I have to make sure the island doesn't clash with that.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Plans are attached for the kitchen - basically a back run of 4200 (say 4m to allow for tollerances) and then depth is whatever as lots of space.

I'd planned two taller units either side (larder and F/F) then a straight run in the middle with small sink, dishwaser, bins etc and some smaller set back higher units (or metal framed shelving to make it more industrial style - can hang all my champagne glasses off there as well perhaps)

Then the island is max 2400 wide with induction hob and large pan drawers - maybe oven under the hob so all cooking is done in one space.

Will post general 2d layout from my phone as don't have it on my pc

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Didn’t load up - sorry. Attached again here:-
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Some kitchen views - although not got the top units on there yet
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Bit more like this type of thing I guess.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Lovely! I like the glass doors to the pantry.

Okay, you know what I missed in my new kitchen? A breakfast bar. And that is weird, because in the previous kitchen (same space, different layout) I had one that was hardly ever used. Everyone just gathered around, sat on the counter, was in the way. So I thought, don't need it. But with the peninsula, and I'm guessing it will be the same in your situation with your cooker in the island, it's just nice if people can sit at the other side when you're cooking. So I bought a bar table, still had the stools from the other kitchen, and put it at the end of the peninsula. Didn't have it yet when I took those first pics, so it's not on there.

Perhaps think about having a breakfast bar and see if you have space for a sideboard to hold the stuff that you'd have in the drawers on this side of the island. Think you need 60 cm per bar stool, so you could have two cabinets and two stools. Anyway, it's just a thought.

I'm having a think about what I would choose for your kitchen :-)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oo sorry yes, I did forget to say that the app only had the same style of island and I will definately be having an overhang all across the back to seat 4 people :-)

We had a breakfast bar in our old house as we lived on it!! lol.

One of the kitchen companies added cupboards across the back of the island that we can store things we don't use very often (maybe extra glasses for parties and certain cookware we rarely use) which is useful and something we didn't have before as the peninsula wasn't deep enough.

The glass doors were going to work as we would have had an outside door going from the utility room but we had to have a major re-shuffle ie lose the larger dormer upstairs to save costs and go for a smaller en-suite which meant needing a larger bathroom downstairs to service 2 bedrooms. So pinched more from the utility room to make it a cupboard. Sigh. At least the washing machine will be hidden away and less noisy behind a door :o/

I had so many desires when we thought up the planning sketches then got costs and now shrinking back on literally everything because of the basic building work. Whah.

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I love your kitchen Carolina. I designed mine too and one thing I'm glad I did was think about what items would go where and that helped determine the design. For example, one area of mine near the dining area and breakfast bar stores all of the items that aren't used in cooking but easy for kids to grab (bottled water, drinks, coffee area, cereals etc) and the 'carb' cupboard. The only thing I wish I had done differently and I could kick myself was put in wall lights!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

there is that as well - actually making sure all the space we have in the limited cupboards will fit out stuff in. We aren't big bakers and rarely use the oven (tend to use one of those counter top halogens which is ugly and takes up worktop space) but I do have things I can't just get rid of - just in case, haha.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

If only we had unlimited budgets :-)

Yes, colourhappy, that's what I've done too. Think about what I need around the cooking area, what near the coffee area (a tiny sink to empty coffee tray and to fill water container), etc.

Tani, go for the biggest sink possible. You'll thank me for it. Things that can't go into the dishwasher are usually big. Oven trays for example.

Have you looked at Schuller kitchens?

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Oh, crossed posts. You don't use the oven, lol

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We are planning on having a larger sink in the utility cupboard - which will be right next to the island and near the dishwasher/other sink. So we can dump pans and larger things that won't go in the dishwasher, out of sight. ha ha. That's important in open plan I feel.

Good point re the coffee machine as we use ours every day and it nears to be near the bin to empty the grounds into. Eek, so much to think about. Will have to start making a proper list once I have decided on the actual units/style ...

• Carolina
    5 years ago

I have a tiny bin mounted on the inside of the door to empty grounds into . Hold on, I'll take a pic.

Meanwhile: http://www.inhouseltd.co.uk/products/kitchens/schuller-kitchens/#range

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ah thank you for the link. Forgot to comment on the brand. Just been looking at Nobilia as coming out cheaper than some of the other ones we looked at (for similar doors styles we wanted). Read they seem to be entry level German kitchens but got quoted around £8k for my design but laminate worktops and no appliances. included pan drawers only on the island ie 4 x 800 drawers. The door style was a charcoal slate so not too black and a nice texture to it. Just not 100% sure if it would be too much or look too fake being a slate texture on a kitchen cupboard! Also would probably have a quartz worktop on the island so have to price that in as well. Plus fitting - £2k !!! OMG

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The Vienna (last pic bottom right) is nice on that link you just sent me - shaker style actually. I think I dismiss them when I see the door samples up close because they look a bit plasticky? And not like wood. But can't afford solid wood unless I find one second hand and paint it, haha

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Don't know if Brabantia is a brand in the UK? I'm in the Netherlands. The tiny bin is that brand. Shelves above coffee machine are Ikea, so are bar table and pull out bins under large sink.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yes we have Brabantia here. We do have a black bin we brought with us - think that is brabantia, but a smaller one like that just for the coffee grounds/tea bags would be ideal as I can put those in the soil then. Thanks!

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Personally I don't like the metal, concrete, slate finishes on kitchen doors. Sorry.

What if you choose fab doors for one element (like the island or the back wall) and a cheaper door for the other? So if you have bar stools, perhaps it makes sense to choose the cheaper version for the island? Cause the stools will block the view. Also no point in having drawers on the stools side, since they'll be hidden from view and you'll not open them often. Drawers are more expensive, yes?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes sorry - drawers on the other side and not on the front of the island.

Good point re the doors not being expensive on the island as you won’t even see them

I liked the slate but only because it wasn’t a flat colour so I feel it will hide marks/dirt more than a smooth plain door (if that makes sense). I like a wood grain as well but they didn’t do a black or charcoal wood when I went but others might
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes sorry - drawers on the other side and not on the front of the island.

Good point re the doors not being expensive on the island as you won’t even see them

I liked the slate but only because it wasn’t a flat colour so I feel it will hide marks/dirt more than a smooth plain door (if that makes sense). I like a wood grain as well but they didn’t do a black or charcoal wood when I went but others might
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Actually, it’s helping me a lot because the more I see the classic shaker style- the more I like it. Also I don’t need loads of pan drawers on the back run - maybe just one large drawer, so I could go for a more squared panel effect (like traditional wall panelling) rather than larger sized doors. And the island could be very different as you will only see a bit of the back.

Now I just need to source something that won’t be too stark a black.

Think that would work with industrial style if I went for a concrete tone quartz counter top??
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Sounds good

• Carolina
    5 years ago

I don't know whether this helps, but I mocked something up, using some DIY kitchen pics. Might put you off the idea completely, haha. But here we go...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ha bless you! Yes I do like the shaker style. I'm just on there now actually looking at some of the doors! Thinking perhaps of going for a dark blue/black cupboards with black marble effect worktop on the island - not sure on the contrast colour on the island yet but I will drop them a bell and see.

Weirdly, they don't seem to offer a layout like mine! ie straight run and an island.

• vwaldock
    5 years ago
    Hi Carolina,
    Thank you for posting photos of your amazing kitchen. I have been considering HiMacs worktops for our new kitchen. How would you rate them? Have you any idea of how they compare price wise to Quartz or similar. Thank you
  • A B
    5 years ago
    I am exactly the same. Started off wanting sleek German kitchen. Now wanting shaker style! Who knows what I will end up with! Ikea do some great budget dark doors that can be dressed up btw.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/rooms/kitchen/a-taste-of-traditional-craftsmanship-1364493162477/
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @jen - have you priced any up yet? I’ve just seen the new Ikea ones. Will have to revisit as wasn’t totally impressed with what they had a few moths ago. The new ones look lovely though
  • A B
    5 years ago
    I’m going to be working with a designer. Plus until we get quotes for the building work I’m not sure our kitchen budget. I’m consider ikea carcasses and bespoke shaker doors currently. But this is our forever home, and I like the option of being able to paint and update the kitchen. I’m sure whatever you chose will look fab :)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ah ditto re re-painting! That’s why I wanted solid wood so I can sand down and repaint if needed. Just not sure how to work it all as I think Ikea units won’t fit every other manufacturer doors?
  • A B
    5 years ago

there are companies that make solid wood shaker doors to fit ikea units :)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It would be nice to find a designer who knows what will work in our space for the industrial chic style I want - but I wouldn't even know where to find - or even afford one, LOL. Would be easier as it's the hardest part of the works.

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Oh, I do like the look of those ikea doors a lot!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ps @Jen - any reason you would go for Ikea base units over others? Are they supposed to be good or just cheaper than b&q etc etc?

There is a company who makes plywood doors for Ikea units - painted as well I think. Will have to check if they do shaker style as stained would look amazing if the grain was showing. Doubt they would do my black/blue colour though, ha ha
  • A B
    5 years ago
    They are so flexible. So cheap. The price is the price no games with haggling or constant sales. The quality is really good for the price point. And you can add your own handles and work top etc. I’ve always gone with Ikea and probably always will unless I could afford a fully hand crafted kitchen! Plus I love their kitchen design app!!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh cool. I might see if I can get an apt with them and go and see the new doors.
    Must admit we weren’t impressed with the quality of what they had before door wise - compared to the German kitchens we have seen but we could look at getting doors elsewhere as well
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Hi Tani, I have an ikea kitchen. I wanted wood doors and nothing traditional and ikea did oak doors that I liked. What swung it for me was reading about how many architects use ikea. One thing I know is that they use very good designers, so their stuff tends to be 'clever'. You do have to construct the carcasses and some fitters don't like this. What is good is that the carcasses hang off a steel rail. This is attached to the wall and then all of the cupboards hang in a straight line and then the feet are adjusted at the front. My carpenter adjusted my units as he was fitting them, even reducing the depth at times, so the whole thing was bespoke.

The other thing is that they are much bigger. They go much nearer to the floor and the kick plates are virtually invisible, this looks more contemporary. They are deeper to so you can't get a standard off the shelf worktop. I paid the same for the fitting as the cost of the units, in my opinion it's all about the fitting. Most carpenter use Howdens as they have accounts and it's familiar to them. I also saved money by using a thin layer of quartz over moisture resistant MDF (a bit like an engineered floor). Whole thing was 16K including removing a load bearing wall, plastering, electrics, kitchen everything.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @colourhappy ah thank you! Yes our architect also suggested Ikea units which is why we went to see them. Didn’t realise they were deeper/taller. I hate kick boards so the less seen of those, the better.

Our builders are also joiners and said they can fit a kitchen if we needed them to as they do a lot.

Can’t tell how much of your budget was just on the kitchen but I presume pricing is similar to say b&q or howdens?
  • A B
    5 years ago
    I was going to mention colourhappy’s kitchen! For the actual kitchen we paid about 2.5 k I think last time. But bought worktops and appliances separately. We had granite worktops didn’t have any problems with sizing for it but will bare that in mind for next time! I completely agree it’s all about the fitting and design.
  • A B
    5 years ago
    https://www.shakerdoors.co.uk/

This is the company I’m considering btw. Also to upgrade my pax wardrobes. Which I also love ‘!!
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

We paid about 3.5K for units and freezer, sink and taps.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

@Aoife Barry, don't know about the price in comparison to other materials. We went for Hi-Macs, because it was the only one we could get seamless on our peninsula, it's quite long. It's okay. We are super careful with it and still we see marks, like scratches, on it. I'm not that bothered, but if you like your countertop to be pristine at all times, I would opt for another material.

In my previous kitchen I had the darkest granite I could find. Indestructible. Very easy to clean, never saw a mark on it. Looked perfect even after 20 years.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow. That’s a good price @colourhappy. Did you have an island as well?
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Hi Tani, we have a 'peninsula'.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.