sophibt

What would you do with this room?

Soph Tee
5 years ago
My first post eeeek!
any kind of design is NOT my thing but i love all thw beautiful homes.
what colour and which walls would you paint in this room?
i feel the dining and living room are not separated enough. out of interest what would you guys do with this space?

thank you

Comments (42)

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Hi. What way does the room face? Can you take more pictures of the room from different angles?

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    angle sitting on the sofa x
  • Related Discussions

Redecorating living room

Q

Comments (10)
    Sounds like it will be fun then! I think it really depends on what look you're going for. Do you want something classical in keeping with the house or go contemporary or another style? Personally if going for contemporary I would still Reinstate the architectural features ie fire and picture emails that have been taken from this room and just decorate and furnish in a contemporary style. In terms of colour, you can either go for something light with a yellow base to lighten the room or go for a strong dark colour As it's a dining room I would probably go with the latter. If the lounge and dining room open into each other I would ensure the colours etc coordinate. im not sure what budget you have but if you need to keep the carpet for example you could probably make the room look quite funky. Again lighting is key as it can make such a statement.
    ...See More

Help me decorate my living room! Feeling overwhelmed...

Q

Comments (14)
    I think the Pinterest Instagram thing is a factor. It's easy to miss other options and there are so many of them, not to mention that in a year the dark blue thing will have passed and have been taken over by something else, possibly green. I think the most important thing is what colour sofas you get as you will probably have them for a long time. I like Minnie's idea of purple browns, and or browny pinks. So versatile and they would go with lots of things. Orange and violet (or burnt orange, cognacs etc and almost browny warm violets) are beautiful together and if they are muted look great with flashes of more saturated smaller items.
    ...See More

Family room - total makeover - period property - what would you do?

Q

Comments (4)
    How about opening the space by removing the arches. Keep the cornices and create larger door frames that are as high as the bookcases. There are great fabric companies that are not expensive and I can recommend a certain company who make beautiful window treatments there are lots of options that you can do I am happy to have a free 20 min consultation over the phone. Cigal Kaplan Interiors
    ...See More

What would you do with a garage poking into the living room?

Q

Comments (9)
    You mention that you are renovating this property: to live in, or to sell on? If the former, how do you need this space to work for you? Could the space above the garage projection be converted into a huge window seat, perhaps with bookcases (and incorporating a ladder!) across the front edge of the projection? This type of approach is likely to work best, however, with quite contemporary styling, and may not sit well with the furniture currently in the photograph.
    ...See More
  • Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hey minnie :) ive posted an angle below from the sofa. the 1st oicture was taken from the doorwsy you can see in the 2nd picture. i find it really difficult because ww have the hatch, living / dining area, stairs and french doors all in one room! x
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You've come to the right place. Some very creative people with helpful advice on here. Perhaps another photo to show how far the stairs come into the room and how wide the french/patio doors are.

A couple of things that might help to know- do you use the 'hatch' or could it be blocked up in case wall mounting the tv is suggested? And would you be prepared to go for a contemporary vertical radiator to give you a little option with furniture placement?

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks Jules :)
    we have alcohol on the other side of the hatch in the kitchen so the idea was its a bar but open to the idea of closing it!

we love the idea of a vertical radiator especially as the pipes are in that corner of this room!
  • Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    sitting on the sofa looking to the right. - dining table. french doors. stairs. pipes & radiator
  • PRO
    Dariotti Art Limited
    5 years ago
    Hi I have seen lots of Magnolia on walls .
    try simple steps pick a colour for your room in durable matt finish something like F&B slipper satin ,Amonite . to all walls then add feature wall paint radiator same colour as the wall use wallpaper as well and then think about other things like furniture etc .
    thanks
    Darek
    pro finish Decorating
  • Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thank you Darren. the WHOLE house is magnolia and had cream carpets when we moved in i cant cope with anymore magnolia anymore ha!
  • Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    *derek!
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I'm struggling a bit with layout as I'm not sure the table would work under the stairs, have you tried it? If not, can you move the tv left a bit and pop the crate to the right of it with the shorter end against the wall? (Your dog may also prefer it so it's den like!). It might create a bit of space for a large plant then? Do you know if the room faces south, north etc re choice of paint colour? Does your boyfriend also like boho or do you need a tamed down look?

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago

Oh wow I'd have never made a comment if I thought it impacted on access to the alcohol stash lol.

I wondered the same about trying the table under the stairs but it does look too big. How often do you use the table to eat and how many for? I'm big believer of having a place that suits you and your lifestyle on a daily basis rather than to accommodate others, for example, on Christmas Day! Therefore, if you really only need two dining chairs most of the time I would downsize the table (small round, drop leaf, extending? ) and put two chairs upstairs, one in each bedroom til you need them. It could then go under the stairs, or, if you work at the table from home sometimes and like to look out to the garden, stay where it is but take up less room. It really does depend how you want to ideally use it. It is a tricky room but I'm sure with a bit more info some solutions could be found

As for colour, I'll leave that to the experts!

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ive found its the most awkward shape room to style :/ the table is quote big but il try it under the stairs and il try the crate under the stairs also. my boyfriend likes minimal / modern designs. nothing shabby chic. we eat at the table every night just the 2 of us. we host christmas dinner for the whole family but rarely have people over for food. the garden is south facing so we get a slot of sun all day but it doesnt seem to get into the living room even with french doors :/ colours im thinking a green on some of the walls, statement mirror? statement prints or big artwork?
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I would go with gray/blue, get a bright wall art.

• minnie101
    5 years ago

I can't mock up your room using this colour as dulux don't have an equivalent but what about purple brown (by little greene). I would at least do it on both the walls behind the sofa but might try the tv wall too, it shouldn't make the room feel smaller (hopefully) as the remaining wall is mainly glass. Little greene recommend rolling fog with it. I thought the art (on the right) may appeal to both of you? I'd pull the sofa forward a fraction and add an arc lamp. Personally I'd remove the hatch, you could replace the bar with decanters on the table and replace the olives with succulents in a shallow bowl. I might look at a mirror on this wall. Do you think you'd get away with a hanging plant/s over the table to zone it?! Maybe also a similar woven/macrame cushion? If the crate fits by the tv you could add a large plant where it wasn't or one by the tv if it doesn't. I'd also shorten the curtain pole a bit if you can

• PRO
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Here is rendering with burgundy/brown. BTW Dulux has visualiser app.

I would go with only accent wall, so it would not so dark.

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    wow thankyou celery girl you are skilled! this is all super helpful guys :') i really didnt think id get 1 comment let alone all this help!
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Good luck with your choice!

Last one with olive accent wall

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    wow thats gorgeous! thank you! i no idea how you are doing this! im going to have to research this app alot if you can paint walls, the lot!
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I agree that Skimming Stone may be a good starting as it has some colour but still reflects light. I works really well with Olive greens (I have this in my kitchen) and with the orange sofa would give a 'violet' (Skimming Stone), orange (sofa) and green triad which looks balanced. It would also work with a deep blue colour. I would paint the neutral on first and then proceed with caution with a darker wall as it will affect the light depending on which wall you put it on.

• A B
    5 years ago
    Is replacing your dining table and chairs a possibility?
  • Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i hate that dining table and chairs so would deffo get rid! were thinking of painting the legs & edge of it white and getting new chairs and seeing how that looks?
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

Been thinking about your room!

What colours did you like from the ones suggested?

Without blocking the patio doors and light, your sofa is probably in the best place already. The only other place I'd try it would be in its current arrangement but over towards the windows, leaving room behind it, in the corner for your table and chairs (poss a new smaller one like you've been discussing. Essentially you would be walking in to see the back of the sofa on the right but you could break this up with a tall plant, throw over the back. I'd suggest a sofa table (poss like you've got at the back of it now?) but it probably would look too much with dining table right next to it. Anyway, that might look pants but it's really just a quick furniture move to see if it's a possibility. With the dining table switched over, instead of blocking up the hatch you could make a feature of it. Perhaps with a shelf - longer than the opening - with a couple of bar items on it (everyone loves a pineapple ice bucket don't they?)

I'm suggesting all this because you use the table every day and shoving it under the stairs seems a bit sad. But that under stairs area needs linking to the rest of the room, rather than it looking like you've had to put the tv there because there is nowhere else for it go. One way do this would be a built in (not cheap but possibly more affordable if working around some low level flat pack cupboards at the bottom and floating shelving (Ikea, b&q, even Wilko b&m and Home Bargains). A few pics for inspiration so you can see what I mean. The tv as far right as possible would mean your sofa could be anywhere on the opposite wall. Phew I can sleep now I've got all of that off my chest!!!

• E D
    5 years ago

Yes, give your table painting idea a go. If not successful you can still get rid.

Replacing the chairs is a good plan methinks.

I'm sure you'll receive some great advice here with what to replace them with.

Just wondering, would a round table work?

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    5 years ago

A vertical radiator in the corner would look great. There are 100s of vertical radiator styles to choose from now. You need to consider heat output, so give us a call if you need some advice or help with calculations - 01274 567789.

Radiators in narrow spaces · More Info

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks guys! im loving the grey, sage colours on the walls id love a feature wall paper and paint the walls to match but i think it might make the room look smaller.

im loving the vertical radiators!!

oooo moving the sofa nearer the french doors...im going to try this!!

id love corner bench for my table or round dining area like westhomleinteriors if anyone has seen her dining room! x
  • PRO
    Pfeiffer Design
    5 years ago

Alternatively, you could paint the room a nice white like Strong White (Farrow and Ball) or a neutral like Skimming Stone then accessorise with some bright, patterned or textured soft furnishings such as cushions, curtains and rugs. See our work for some inspiration and our soft furnishings for some ideas. I'd then add some interest with pictures and accessories that match the soft furnishings. Good luck with it.

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago

I liked the grey and sage too. I think the feature should be the art work rather than a dominating pattern, as per the Photoshopped inspiration pics celerygirl did.

A round table would be good. I don't like benches because they're so uncomfy but if you did go for one a corner one will limit you even further e.g. it could never be pushed out of way under the stairs and you'e really only got one corner for it to go in. A straight one would prob be better.

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    has anyone seen melaniejadesigns on insta? i LOVE her layout however we obv have the hatch not open plan. and a completley differant sofa but thats the vibe im loving!
  • Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    maybe make a statement of the hatch like the below and turn into shutters?

is wallpaper deffo a no-no?? i really love the ones below but they are VERY bold!
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

is this the one?

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    YES! i love it!
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

I don't think wallpaper is a no no if you really want to make a statement but it will 'bring the walls' in a bit. I like them both - I prob prefer the blue Aegean but the green Honolulu palm is closer to your inspiration pic from melaniejade. She's only used it under her island; you could do something similar under the stairs to keep it more subtle. If you use the wallpaper you've probably got less to do in terms of all the layering up other decor items to achieve the look because the wallpaper will make such a bit impact on its own. Less of thr wallpaper, with a complementary colour on other walls, will allow you to build up the look (over time) it a textured and eclectic look so you wouldn't want to rush it anyway.

About the hatch - making a feature of it is an option but the shelf over it (particularly the style of the shelf supports) is too country kitchen. How about something like the pics below?

I like the style/wood in the first one (the drawers are great) but also like how the 2nd pic shows how you can widen the shelf past the opening (not sure if I like the top shelf or not - it could look a bit nafff?

Also, one of your main concens was making the seating and dining area more separated in a small room. See how the coffee table positioning in melaniejade living room helps to do this. A rug would also help zone the space, once you'e picked your colours.

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago

Ps ignore the 'related images' bit. I just didn't crop them off!

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    hey Jules! i deffo agree no shelf above the hatch. i love the idea of widening the hatch with a shelf along the bottom though.

i love the shutters instead of doors on thw hatch aswell....

i think i need ro have a play with colours in the room. :/ still on closer on deciding :((

i love the idea of the rug to spearate the living /dining area. we currently have the rung by the sofa (the laminate is bad for the sogs legs so it gives her some support to jump on the sofa)
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

Sounds like you've got a lot more idea now, apart from making a final decision about the colour. Your walĺpapers aren't cheap so why don't you get some wallpaper lining paper and get some small test pots of the shades you like and pin them up. You might also realise whether You do want some bold block colours or definitely want yiur patterned paper. You can move the lining paper around the room and get an idea how the colours work on different lights/areas. Also, have a look at some home design blogs (a beautiful mess and Style by Emily Henderson both have a lovely boho chic aesthetic which might give you some more ideas. Keep us posted!

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    great thank you jules :)
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

Meant to say, your shutters don't have to exactly fit the hatch aperture if you're making a feature of them on the living room side so look on eBay/craigslist (not sure where you are) for some 2nd hand ones - some that won't look ridiculously big for the opening, but give you the look you're aiming for as well as easy access to the booze :-)

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago

Of course you could go the whole hog lol

• Soph Tee
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    amazing thank you!! were going tl build a little tiki hut in the garden! i promise our lives dont evolve around alcohol hahaha x
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

And here's me thinking you were my type of girl ;-)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.