What are parasols used for?
Garden parasols add character and style to your garden, and work wonders for elevating and finishing the design of an outdoor patio or deck. However they have lots of other benefits too:
- They provide protection from the sun and harmful UV rays
- They provide shade, so you can stay cool and avoid dreaded sunburn
- They keep your drinks cold and out of direct sunlight
- Free-standing umbrellas can be placed anywhere in the garden
- Your phone and e-reader will be shielded from the glare of sun and unscheduled British rain
- They create a gathering space for meals outdoors
How do cantilever parasols work?
Cantilever parasols are designed to hang over your garden furniture, instead of sitting in the middle of them. They usually have a weighted base to keep them in place, but can also be fixed to your decking or propped against a wall. Their design means that they are more flexible in terms of placement, and means you won’t have the umbrella pole blocking your view when dining outdoors. There are several different names for the cantilever parasol including free-standing parasols, banana umbrellas and overhanging parasols.
Are garden parasols waterproof?
Not all fabric patio umbrellas are waterproof, and with the British weather being as unpredictable as it is, it’s probably best to invest in a water-resistant model. Many synthetic fibres are water-repellent and durable and less prone to damp and mould than canvas umbrellas. Make sure you check waterproof properties before making a purchase, or consider treating non-waterproof parasols with an acrylic paint coating.
What size garden umbrella do I need?
Parasols for the garden can be found in a range of sizes. If you intend to use your parasol with a garden table, use the following size guide:
- 2 meters – seats up to 2 people
- 2.5 metres – seats up to 4 people
- 3 metres – seats up to 8 people
- 4 metres – seats 10+ people
What weight parasol base do I need?
This will depend on whether you opt for a free-standing parasol or one that fits in with your garden furniture. For parasols which will be used with your garden furniture, see the following base weight guide:
- 2 meters – 20kg
- 2.5 metres – 25kg
- 3 metres – 30kg
- 4 metres – 40kg