Houzz Logo Print
mockturtle1

Our kitchen makeover

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Recently I asked what colour we should paint our kitchen cabinets. I settled on Farrow and Ball Purbeck Stone. (A warm grey)
Here are the results.
I have been thinking about painting the old tiles? If I was to paint them, I would be attracted to warm greens. But my husband says I paint everything green. What colour do you all think?

Comments (73)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Your kitchen looks wonderful now! I like it the way it is, but if you want some colour maybe you could add it through interesting artworks or inject it through accessories - kettle, jars, cushions on your stools, window blinds etc. That way you can easily switch without having to invest too much money or effort. Any colour would work...maybe you could look at a seasonal change - something more cosy and warm in the winter vs cool & breezy during the summer. Not sure what your husband would say to this - mine thinks I am mad!

  • 11 years ago
    Cushions on the seats!!!! Brilliant!!! Love this idea! These are ikea stools, but they were too high for the table (I bought them second hand on gumtree, they retail for £25 each and I got all 3 for £25) so we had to trim them down to size.
    I wonder if ikea does cushions for these stools? Mustard yellow would be lovely! Or of course, my old friend, sage green.
    Such a great idea! Thank you.
  • Related Discussions

    Kitchen/diner makeover on a budget

    Q

    Comments (10)
    Thanks, kayq93, I am really pleased with it. It's a South facing room with big windows and gets lots of light so is able to take the black and grey. I painted the dining room window sills black to mirror the granite counter in the kitchen; my husband wasn't too sure but I think it looks fab. My husband is a voracious reader and we found a wall- mounted glass & chrome shelving unit which accommodates a surprising number of books but is stylish and unobtrusive, I think.
    ...See More

    Our snug is in desperate need of a makeover!

    Q

    Comments (15)
    Hey - not to put a dampner on all these lovely ideas - but might be worth asking the landlords before you buy paint ! They might suggest you leave the walls and add vibrant coloured pictures /posters instead ?
    ...See More

    Our bedroom makeover

    Q

    Comments (9)
    Thank you Carys the headboard is integral to the bed. It is called "York TV bed" from an online company called Time4Sleep. I'm glad you like it.
    ...See More

    Brightening up a kitchen with pine units and black worktops

    Q

    Comments (14)
    Hi. Have you ever considered a real interesting eye catching piece of art work to really brighten up an area, I think a select piece of art would really make the space stand out, add interest, colour, texture and add a great talking point to the room.... Please check out my website if you like the idea and please get in contact, commission work is also welcomed so if you like a particular style I can do in a select colour palette and size as an original piece…..I’m also able to produce all original paintings in high end print format, in any size same or smaller than the original. (all within proportions to the original so not to cause distortion) All prints shown are Giclee prints onto soft textured fine art media. All prints come with a white border these can be made to measure too. So lots of options, www.guigsart.co.uk
    ...See More
  • 11 years ago

    Brilliant! I have a similar looking "wooden" kitchen. I am now planning to paint.


  • 11 years ago

    I am now inspired to think of painting my own kitchen-- the 'new' cabinets look really lovely!

  • 11 years ago

    your kitchen looks fantastic. we just moved last year & spent all our money in the living room. like to change the kitchen on a budget & you've given me some ideas. where did you get the metal plant pots on your windowsill by the sink please?

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you!
    So glad I've given you some inspiration. Those metal pots are a steal from IKEA.
  • 11 years ago
    Lovely job! I have similar units, just need some motivation and time to get stuck in. Do you know what primer brand you used, I was told dulux supergrip is very good?
  • 11 years ago
    Ps, I think the tiles are fine, as others have said some well chosen accessories, maybe some nice orla kiely kitchenware, or consider swapping the blind for one with a pattern, I'm personally not gone on coloured kettles or bins etc. Great job! I have painted tiles in my bathroom, they're a bit fiddly, look fine from a distance, not so amazing from close up.....and you will have to paint the grout lines also, ( I had hideous patterned tiles in my ensuite!)
  • 11 years ago

    Do you have any appointments left to fit me in please. This colour is awesome. I love it. What a fabulous job you have done and so worth the effort.

  • 11 years ago
    Don't paint your tiles you will be very disappointed just add colour through accessories, the cabinets look fantastic
  • 11 years ago

    Wow! A transformation. I have a similar kitchen, our doors and carcasses are both slightly darker and more orangey than yours were originally. I've been thinking about painting them so you have provided the inspiration I need to actually go and do it! Did you also paint the carcasses, particularly where the door closes on the the edge? I.e. if I just painted the doors on my kitchen, there would be an orange stripe between the doors where they didn't quite meet. If so, did that work well and do you think it's hard wearing enough? The other option would be a veneer, but this adds to the cost and the hassle factor!

  • 11 years ago
    As a complete novice could I ask what type of paint is needed for kitchen cabinets please?
  • 11 years ago

    Hi Marilyn, you would need to use a gloss or satin wood paint, depending on the type of finish you need. The key is in the preparation, thoroughly clean to remove any grease and then use a suitable primer for the first coat of paint.

  • 11 years ago
    Hi there,
    For anyone asking what primer we used, we used a Ronseal primer. However, my husband has just said on hindsight he thinks we should have used the F&B primer as the paint was quite sticky when drying. It's fine now though.
  • 11 years ago
    The finish we used was estate eggshell (semi gloss) in Farrow and Ball
  • 11 years ago
    Hi Vanessa,
    We painted the front and backs of the doors without removing them. We didn't paint the bit where the door meets the frame, except on two cupboards (and this made the doors sticky for a week or so. It's fine now)
    I know what you mean. It is fiddly. And veneers would add to the cost. It will be worth it though! Do it! We're getting a lot of enjoyment from our 'new' kitchen!
  • 11 years ago

    Looks really lovely, what a great space; I would also leave the tiles, I think they look great as they are.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    amazing transformation! I would not paint the tiles as they blend in nicely and eventually paint comes off anyway with daily scrubbing and cleaning. Enjoy your kitchen!

  • 11 years ago

    Thank you

  • 11 years ago
    I think your kitchen looks great. I wouldn't paint the tiles. Paint some metal grate or star or whatever and hang on the tiles. I'd paint the stools some bright color instead.
  • 11 years ago

    amazing what a lick of paint can do! Well done, such a good finish!

  • 11 years ago
    Great job! proves that beauty lies in simplicity.
  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful. Well done. Also love your floor and Island. Think the tiles look fine.
  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful kitchen. I bet you're the envy of your friends. Amazing what a transformation a few pots of paint can make. You must be thrilled! It looks soooo completely different ... you're obviously in the wrong job and could certainly give the people who quoted for painting them a run for the money!!

    I think I would leave the tiles the colour they are. Your kitchen looks smashing now just the way it is and a few well placed splashes of colour here and there would probably do the trick just as well

    PS I love your husband's handiwork, do you like my old seed packet efforts?
  • 11 years ago
    Thank you so much, Niki, for such nice compliments.


    I love your seed artwork! Good idea! When I was thinking about something 'kitcheny' to frame for the walls I drew a blank! I'm a photographer so I had tonnes of photos, but I wanted art in the kitchen. I finally requested the cuts of meat artwork but seeds would have been good too!
  • 11 years ago

    I love your new kitchen and I agree with many others that the tiles are cool as they are. I would accent with different colours in winter and in summer- makes the room seem brand new over and over!

  • 11 years ago
    I know you've had a lot of comments and it has all been said, so just to say your kitchen is beautiful. Whenever I see a wooden kitchen on TV or wherever I always think it would look so much better if it was painted, and you have proved that point! The tiles are lovely and the way you have accessorised your kitchen is lovely. I wouldn't change a thing. You have a really good eye for design, well done! Here's a pic of some of my kitchen.
  • 11 years ago
    I agree that painting the tiles might spoil them and there'd be no going back.

    Have you considered replacing the blind with a green one?
    I think that would make a big difference.
  • 11 years ago

    Fab as is! Great job!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Looks great! :) *thumbs up*

  • 10 years ago

    HI, can I just say you kitchen is lovely and ask where you got your floor tiles from. we are searching for something for our kitchen/dining but also to run through to the hallway. They look ideal, are they wood effect?

    Thanks

  • 10 years ago
    Thank you! Yes, they are wood effect long tiles. Several colours available, these are grey. We got them from Huttons Tiles, Lisburn, Northern Ireland.
  • 10 years ago

    thanks for replying, I am off to start looking at wood effect tiles as these are lovely. Was looking at polished porcelain but keep holding back!

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with those who say don't paint the tiles. It never looks nice and always looks cheap in my opinion. Plus you have to use a grout pen in between every tile, zzz!

  • 10 years ago

    Meant to say, your kitchen looks lovely now!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    check out the new Little Greene Paint colour range. Their intelligent eggshell is great for kitchen units as it has been tried and tested by a professional kitchen cabinet maker here in Jersey. Your kitchen looks great.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Your kitchen looks lovely but we feel it needs a bit more colour - you can never have too much green! We recommend Farrow and Ball - French Grey, a lovely warm grey with a touch of green. Good luck from Property Facelift

  • 10 years ago
    Joining in very late in the day, but here goes. I think the tiles are fine and painted tiles always look like......painted tiles; cheap. I think you could bring in a pop of colour, pattern and texture by changing the blind. This could be a good DIY task and a mere mornings work. Amazing what a difference painting the cupboards has made, well done. Inspiring, but my doors are not as attractive as yours, so I am thinking going down the new doors route myself. Costly, but cheaper than a new kitchen.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I like the kitchen colors

  • 10 years ago

    I think the green would be lovely, but to compromise why don't you so them green, mauve and dark grey? He can have the lovely job of painting them.

  • 10 years ago

    It looks Fab I would leave them as they are

  • 10 years ago

    Superb transformation guys. You defo made the right choice. Can't wait to see finished result.

  • 10 years ago

    Great choice of colour - it's updated the kitchen immensely! Love the green of the plants against the warm white of the cupboards.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Simple and effective.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I must say this is a job well done! It's shocking what a good combination of colours, contrast and small decor changes can do. Good call on changing the see through glass to frosted one in cabinets, not to mention that the bright cabinets with dark worktops and appliances really works in your kitchen.

  • 9 years ago

    Looks amazing!
    Leave the tiles as they are neutral and go so well.
    Brilliant job and so well done!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Love the transformation!

  • 9 years ago
    Beautifully done I think the tiles sits really in the kitchen I wouldn't change it.
  • 9 years ago
    loving the change,personally i would leave the tiles if u want to inject colour do it with assessories and change blind
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    What a great transformation, an excellent paint shade choice,