Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

You're going away - who takes care of your pet(s)?

10 years ago

Having a pet is not exactly like having a baby, but it's definitely a commitment, as well as an incredible source of joy.

However, they can cause some issues when you're away on holiday, or even when you're away for just a few days.

Who looks after your pets when you're away? And what can you recommend to other pet owners?

DOSARCHITECS · More Info

I bring my pet(s) with me
I leave them with friends and family
I leave them at home and ask someone to take care of them
I pay for dog/cat/pet-boarding
Other (tell us in the comments section!)

Comments (28)

  • 10 years ago

    I have dogs, I don't go away often, but they usually come with me; although now that I have ended up with four dogs I doubt that I shall go away at all.

    I have used boarding kennels in the past, one which was local to me at the time I would never use again, as the dogs came out with colds. Another, which had been recommended by a friend, was very good for the two dogs I had at the time and the cat, all came back out fit, well and happy. So I would say try to find a boarding kennel/cattery that is recommended by somebody that you know and trust.

    I liked staying in Landmark Trust properties ,as they have quite a few where you can take dogs; although they do limit it to two dogs.


  • Related Discussions

    How do you keep burglars away from your home during the holidays?

    Q

    Comments (7)
    Well one tip I wouldn't recommend is thinking that having a car on the drive is going to discourage burglars - they'll probably break in to nick the keys for the car. I was woken by burglars who had come in my house a few months ago in the middle of the night and they were in my Mercedes on the driveway with the engine running - they just couldn't work out how to release the parking break! I RAN outside (stupid idea) and confronted them and they abandoned the car and ran. The experience was the first time ever I have not felt comfortable in my own house, and the next day I put it on the market and moved area. I did lots of reading on the topic afterwards and it seems like lights on and TV on are still the best deterrents - burglars don't want to meet with the owner during the burglary.
    ...See More

    Who waters your plants when you're on holiday?

    Q

    Comments (8)
    I give my plants a big water a couple of days before I leave plus feed if it's due and on the morning or night before I give them another drink so the water stays in the pot about 1 to 1.5 inches. I know they say that you shouldn't leave your plants sitting in water but I always do it and it works for my Orchids which I have had for about 5 years now which keep flowering all the time. I go away for about three weeks so don't want to put the onus on my neighbour who holds my key and looks after my post. I always leave them in the same place they usually sit which is away from direct sunlight. Plants always do well with the morning sun on them.
    ...See More

    Top 5 Design Elements to Consider for Your New Kitchen

    Q

    Comments (2)
    Hi Hannah - thank you so much for the feedback. We're here to help with kitchen design especially in the Staffordshire, Cheshire, West Midlands area. Sandra
    ...See More

    What’s looking good in your garden?

    Q

    Comments (347)
    Hi Sonia. It’s the plant with a name that I can never spell...but I’ll have a go.... tatrapanax papyfirus ‘Rex’ ???? Chinese rice paper plant. Or aka The Triffid! That’s easier to remember. 😉. Apparently they can send out suckers from the roots several meters away so my neighbours might get a few babies in years to come. Can’t argue tho, it’s a fab jungly looking plant. Here’s the proud mum!
    ...See More
  • 10 years ago

    Went away last time n 2011 left two large dogs with an apparently legit company called home from home where they were meant to be the only dogs in the house. Returned early two weeks later to find them shut in a box room with bedding stinking of urine. Several other dogs in the house and one poor dog in a Shack/outbuilding. Reported them to trading standards . If you've ever used Home from Home and had issues please report to trading standards . Both dogs underweight thirsty and obviously distressed when we finally got them back. Terrible experience for all of us especially our young son who could clearly see and hear his beloved Rottie cross howling at this upstairs window. Never been away since.

  • 10 years ago

    Omg that's so bad, must have been heartbreaking, I will never understand, how anyone could be cruel to any animal, I always look after my daughters Dog and Cat when she goes away and would do the same for any of my friends, really hope you find someone you can trust, the next time you go away, if there is a next time xx

  • 10 years ago
    I moved house and relocated 300 miles south so that my girl cat always gets me home at night. Longest time I'm away is 30 hours.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    If I go away on my own, my boyfriend stays and takes care if my 2 kitties. if we go away together I use 2 local catteries who are very good and have never caused me concern. however we went away for 2 weeks in June and it was longest time we had been separated and my ginger boy, Columbus suffered separation anxiety, which has taken 5 weeks of regaining his trust to get over. Next time I will use a pet sitter but I don't like the thought of them being home alone without me overnight. We have been through a lot together and I feel I'm letting them down. It's a tricky one!

  • 10 years ago

    I live in Cumbria so we offer our home to any friends who would like a free holiday on condition that they feed and cuddle the cat. It's a perfect arrangement. Collie dog comes with us - we only used kennels once and he looked so distressed when we collected him we vowed never to do it again.

  • 10 years ago

    I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. Housing them in kennels and catteries easily doubles the cost of going away. In addition I've had bad experiences with various dog boarding facilities, including so called luxury dog kennels, boarding 'schools', where training is additionally provided to keep dogs stimulated, and staying in home environment. All of these stressed and traumatised my dogs for a very long time. Now I ask my family to look after them or go on caravan holidays and take the dogs with me :)

  • 10 years ago

    I always hire a personal friend who loves animals as a house/pet sitter stay in my home and take care of our two cats.

  • 10 years ago

    I pay for my dog to go into someones home to stay with them in doggy daycare/holiday not kennels ever. Far to stressful for the dog. But if they are I someone home with them with other pets it much better emotionally I feel.

  • 10 years ago
    We go overseas at least once a year and leave our dog with some good friends with dogs of their own. He fits right in and I'm sure he doesn't miss us one bit. Only problem is he always puts on a few kilos. Nice to know he's been loved though!!
    If we go away for one night which we often do we leave him at home with access to our laundry (his bedroom) with a generous bowl of food.
  • 10 years ago
    We have a 6 month old border terrier, a local groomer also boards dogs so we left Alfie with her in June for a week - he was so happy when we picked him up - obviously had a great time playing with the other dogs. Would not hesitate in leaving him there in future. Our last dog, a westie, was left in a kennels once in his life - he had no bark when we got him home, slept for a week and was traumatised - never again.
  • 10 years ago
    When we lived in the south west of France we sometimes left our Jack Russell/ Staffy cross at a wonderful kennel where our dog could not wait to get in. Now back in England, we've tried different kennels and homes, but never felt that he was truly happy. This time we are allowing two of our granddaughters to house sit. they are both dog lovers and have three dogs at home. we hope it won't be a riot! Buster in repose.
  • 10 years ago
    When we lived in the south west of France we sometimes left our Jack Russell/ Staffy cross at a wonderful kennel where our dog could not wait to get in. Now back in England, we've tried different kennels and homes, but never felt that he was truly happy. This time we are allowing two of our granddaughters to house sit. they are both dog lovers and have three dogs at home. we hope it won't be a riot! Buster in repose.
  • 10 years ago
    When we lived in the south west of France we sometimes left our Jack Russell/ Staffy cross at a wonderful kennel where our dog could not wait to get in. Now back in England, we've tried different kennels and homes, but never felt that he was truly happy. This time we are allowing two of our granddaughters to house sit. they are both dog lovers and have three dogs at home. we hope it won't be a riot! Buster in repose.
  • 10 years ago
    Hi where were the kennels in the south west France as that is where we are based
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My cats and dogs stay home but as I have a puppy I am looking for someone to take him into their home

  • 10 years ago

    I use a website to find people who fancy a holiday in our location and are pet lovers. A reciprocal arrangement where they received accommodation free and I get pet sitters free. Been using it 2.5 years and always find fantastic people and my pets are well cared for and extremely happy as they get to stay in their own home. Usually they are people from overseas who are travelling in early retirement or long term and missing their home comforts and pets. Have met some very interesting people and the house is always immaculate on our return.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Over the past 36 years, we've had 5 dogs. They came with us on our UK travels, except during a hot summer when they could not safely be left in the car even for short periods.

    We tried kennels for our trips abroad, but our dogs did not settle and on a few occassions were in real distress.

    In recent years, we leave our JRT with friends who have a terrier of their own. The 2 dogs get on famously and wear each other out playing all day long. When our friends want to go on holiday, we take their dog. It's a great arrangement for all and the cheapest way to go.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We have two cats and a dog. The cats stay home and our neighbours (who we like and trust and who love our cats) look after them (we normally bring them something back from our holidays as a thank you and we return the favour when they are away). As for the dog, he stays at his 'Grandma's house' (my other half's mum) who he loves and who has her own dog that ours loves to play with (we normally pay her because she's retired and appreciates the extra spending money!). We've never had any problems with this arrangement and have always come back from holiday with very happy pets! We've considered a kennel in the past but considering some of the responses here, I'm kind of glad we've never had to use one!

  • 10 years ago

    Most boarding kennels are ghastly. Dogs get very stressed in them, pining for owners they don't think they will see again. Even worse for cats who are free animals used to roaming and then get locked in a cage. I may sound a bit dramatic but I worked at a rescue kennels for 10 years and I saw every day how scared and stressed the animals were. We loved them and cared for them, but being locked in a kennel (a cage really), with no contact with their families was too much for them. The barking and jumping up you see in a kennel is stress. The dog sitting in its bed in complete shut down is stressed. Getting family or friends to care for them is the best way, or a home sitter. I never board my dogs, it would be unbearable.

  • 10 years ago

    if you want to regularly go off on holiday then DON'T HAVE PETS unless you are prepared to take them with you!!

    Much like children it is YOU who decide to have THEM then expect THEM to fit into YOUR life when it should be the other way around. I would no sooner kennel my pets than stay in one myself. We had many years of hiring pet friendly cottages and then later bought a touring caravan and we took our cats and dogs away in both. Once we had chickens my parents came to stay while we were away but eventually we stopped having holidays altogether as I couldn't bear to leave them as one of them would stop eating when we weren't there! Now they're all gone and we can even go abroad but I would swap that any day to have them all back again


  • 10 years ago
    I don't get to go on holiday anymore. My husband and the kids go and I stay home!
  • 10 years ago
    if we are just going away for a night or two my mum comes to stay with her doggy too, only person I trust. only holidays we plan now are where we catch the Portsmouth to Santander ferries finishers, 24hrs sailing as they have cabins where your dog can stay and sleep with you and then a dedicated deck where u can walk them and they can toilet. there are other ferries where they can stay in a kennel and visit on long sailings or short sailings where they stay in your vehicle but our Boston terrier would never forgive us as she's never been to a kennel before. we could sail from Plymouth which is only an hour away from us, but they don't have the dog friendly cabins yet. we go camping, air b n b or hotels when in France and Spain and dogs are welcome almost everywhere u go. one hotel even had a dog bed, food and bowls, chews in our room when we checked in. now we have experienced a few holidays with our pooch in toe I don't think we would go without them.
  • 10 years ago
    ' Finistere' the ships called. not finishers...... Sorry typo.
  • 10 years ago
    We camp, so doggie comes with us. Alternatively she goes to doggie day care one day per week, so if we were to go abroad she would go there for the week. Grandparents come in and feed the cat (who is pretty feral anyway) and the chickens!
  • 10 years ago

    Whenever we can travel abroad by car the cat comes with us and he is happy to face the trip. Otherwise we are blessed with wonderful neighbours who love our cat and look after him when we go away, once or twice a year. They do not feel confident to let him wander in the garden in case he returns late or not at all, so he is forced to stay at home for 2 weeks, sigh! Travelling from the UK and back with a cat is a nightmare due to vaccinations and restrictions of means of transport. On the other end in continental Europe our cat can even come on a plane with me. When planning for a holiday I always visit https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview hoping some restrictions have been waived but not much difference so far. I'd love to have a rescue dog as well but the complicated arrangements have the better of me. Otherwise, for shorter periods, I leave the cat with my husband and viceversa. Pets are our responsibility, they give us immense joy and I do not suffer for making sacrifices.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Travel is an important part of our life and so is our little chee. There is no way l would put her through the scourges of traveling in the luggage section of a plane, its far too cold and traumatic and not at all pleasant for me and my peace of mind. So l have an arrangement with a hood friend and we look after each other's dogs whilst the other is on holiday. The dogs are great friends now and look forward to the occasional change. We share and respect food preferences and other rules. We always travel peacefully and the dogs always return to us looking great.