raiyan_bari

Planning permission vs Permitted Development

Raiyan Bari
7 years ago

This is not really a design decision but am hoping the good folks (from the UK) can help me on this matter anyway. I applied for a 4.5m extension via permitted development (under the prior approval for larger extensions that allow you to extend up to 6m until 2019). This got rejected because my neighbour complained that she would feel a sense of enclosure as her other neighbour has a 4m extension. She said she would be happy with no more than 3.3m. My other neighbour also has a 4m extension so it seems unfair that I can't do 4.5m because because one home doesn't want to extend.

In any case I wonder if I applied via planning permission instead of permitted development would I be able to get a different outcome? The other homes have 4m and there really is not much difference between 3.3m and 4.5m. The LPA have already said that 4.5m does not cause any loss of light etc and the only reason for refusal of the permitted development was the sense of enclosure.

I've since started work on the 3.3m but it is bugging me that if I just wait 2 months I might be able to get the 4.5m, unless the advice is that the council will probably just reject it.

Any thoughts? Once my 3.3m is done what would the cost be to further extend it to 4.5m if the LPA approve a planning permission?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.