Hi all, I started part 4 as part 3 is at nearly 250 posts and scrolling down is a pain. See links below for the previous threads.
We have just got back from a couple of weeks away and the builders are basically done inside. Now we start a long process of tidying up, cleaning, and furnishing the house. And we start the garden landscaping in a couple of weeks...
Oh Resh this is just the best news - and after such a difficult journey to get your baby daughter. I could not be happier for all of you. Many many congratulations. Enjoy every moment. I'm smiling lots as I type this.
I am not sure if you still monitor this, but in case you do...
Just out of interest, not sure if anyone has asked or whether you have mentioned anything regarding doors and door frames. Did you change anything in this regard or are they all original? I am asking as we live in a 30's house and were forced to change the doors as they were warped to the point of not being able to close at all. Since they don't make those sort of door sizes anymore, we were then forced to re-do all the door frames.
Hi Denisa - I do look at this, but don't have many updates as the new arrival is taking all of our time! as for doors, ours are original and we were missing a few, in very odd sizes. I found one old door on eBay and restored it. for the others, I made custom doors with two sheets of 18mm ply and trim to look Victorian. heavy (dealt with by mounting properly on heavy duty hinges), but easy and inexpensive.
I will update with a house pic soon - have to start working on the front garden soon. but I thought I should post a pic of baby Resh for you long-suffering Houzzers who have followed 4 instalments of this renovation. Phone shot of my computer as I edit some photos whilst baby sleeps on my chest, and Mrs Resh snatches some sleep, in our almost-finished family home. I used to spend these evening hours designing this house!
Many congratulations! I love following your renovation updates and I am a sucker for happy endings. I hope you and your family enjoy your beautiful home.
Hey Resh, congrats on the baby! just sent you a mail. i've just purchased a old Victorian and need to refurbish! :-) would be great to use your spreadsheet. spent an my hole gym time following your post yesterday...great insite into your journey.
Oh Reah, she is absolutely beautiful! And what a happy, contented girl she looks. I wish all three of you the most wonderful time together, making the best memories in your amazing home. I feel like we've all been on this journey with you....
Work outside continues with the last major bit to do being landscaping at the front. This is going to have to wait until next year, but will not be overly elaborate: just gravel and some flower beds. in the meantime, we have fitted two sets of double gates for parking, and I have planted some (hopefully) fast growing laurel for a hedge. Let's see if it survives my amateur efforts. others on the street have some lovely hedges from the same plant, so...
incidentally you can see next door's grand house in one of these pics (the neighbours are lovely and a source of great garden and planting ideas). we are a long way from looking that pretty!
I bet your neighbours are happy with you too. It'll look lovely and grand when the front garden is finished and the hedge starts growing. Laurel can cope with a lot, so I'm pretty sure they'll do well. Gate looks good.
Thanks Carolina! And here are some pics of the nursery. Not exactly done up properly yet (more a case of bunging stuff in there), but one day this will be the playroom. Staying green - no pink themes here for the baby. Lots of pics to put on the wall but also needs functional storage and play materials . Things like houseplants need to be rethought once Baby Resh is mobile as apparently most are poisonous. Probably best to teach her not to eat them...
Phew Resh, there's finally something you've done to the house I'm not blown away by! :)
I feel the black window frames at the front are a little too much. There is quite a bit of contrast already on the groundfloor with the upper floors so I feel having the continuity of the white windows would perhaps work better.
For some reason the black guttering stands out more, making it look 'busy'. Did you have to add more (horizontal) guttering?
Black window frames are definitely a marmite thing on these buildings. I love them, and eventually the top floor windows will be black too. And that grim magnolia pebbledash will be repainted an interesting colour, most likely a heritage olive green. But that is years away as we’d need scaffolding etc. As for the drains, the ugly horizontal ones we had to install will go once we do the drive, and install a new foul drain. There’s a lot of work left to do to the front of the house...
More photos as we style more rooms - looking more like a home now! Lots of green shades on the ground floor, which was the plan. It works with a surprising number of other accent shades.
The kitchen and dining room look beautiful. They are my favourite rooms. I have some questions: Where are the towel radiators from in the kitchen? Please post a photo of the study, I don't think we have seen a finished photo yet? The doors between the living room and dining room, are they on runners to open and close? How do they work?
I'd like to see the house decorated for Christmas!
Thanks all! AMB study is painted but not styled - my computer etc are in there so it just looks like a messy study at the moment. Radiators are bathroom spec towel rails: mine came from an online bathroom shop. And the doors between dining area and living room are the old patio doors, repurposed. They are fitted with Hafele pivot hinges that mount above and below the door so they can swing into either area.
So I have compiled some albums of photos so you don't have to trawl through all the threads. Hopefully this works: someone let me know by posting, please?
Laura Thomas
wendy Anderson
Related Discussions
Interior design ideas required on old 1920s house in London
Q
POLL: What's the most stressful part of a renovation?
Q
Detached Victorian Property Extension & Renovation
Q
London mid terrace Victorian renovation - help!
Q
Denisa Cardoso
ReshOriginal Author
Denisa Cardoso
ReshOriginal Author
Juliet Docherty
Karen
H BB
Carolina
Han D
Angie
Patrina
hesam yavari
wendy Anderson
wendy Anderson
Jill Oultram
OnePlan
ReshOriginal Author
Carolina
ReshOriginal Author
Carolina
E D
AMB
ReshOriginal Author
E D
ReshOriginal Author
ReshOriginal Author
ReshOriginal Author
ReshOriginal Author
ReshOriginal Author
Emmanuelle
AMB
AMB
Carolina
ReshOriginal Author
AMB
FAIRFAX FLOORING
amandaccc
ReshOriginal Author
Nisha Parekh
ReshOriginal Author
Han D
ReshOriginal Author
Han D
nmlondon
ReshOriginal Author
Safina Kamran
ReshOriginal Author
Safina Kamran