improving appearance of porch/from door
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (9)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
Related Discussions
How to improve porch??
Comments (5)If this porch were mine, this is what I'd do: If the ceiling height will allow it, I'd remove that single wall light and replace it with at least two lights in the ceiling instead. You could put recessed lights in, but personally I loathe them. I'd much rather have a shiny glass pendant on a short cable. Then put coat hooks up where the wall light is now. If the wallpaper/stud wall issue makes removing the paper impossible, just stick the peeling edges back down and paint it all. Paint the bricks too in a light colour. Jazz up that box into a seat type feature, perhaps with more hooks or a mirror above, as suggested earlier. I'd steer clear of anything like cushions or soft furnishings for the box, unless you know the porch is always dry. Nothing sadder than a musty pile of pillows. Replace the vinyl on the floor. Quarry tiles, maybe? If budget weren't an issue, I'd also consider taking one of the windows all the way down to the floor, possibly then closing off the other one and using the space for more coat/shoe/dog lead storage. Or perhaps just put some small plant pots on the windowsills. If budget really, really isn't an issue at all, I'd enlarge the space and make it more visually and aesthetically usable. For you, perhaps the best thing to consider first is how you want to use the space? Do you need storage for any large items like buggies or wheelchairs? Have you got lots of family who all need a place to hang a coat and keep a couple of pairs of shoes? Would it be a convenient place to demud the kids/pets after an outing? Or is this purely a feature to keep empty, but to stop wintry draughts getting into your home?...See MorePorch/front door design
Comments (2)My brother updated a 1950s house for a customer. They didn’t want hyper modern and chose an oak porch which my brother fitted. The windows were changed to a pale blue, very different, but it looks gorgeous. The house was plainer than yours, just a flat front and rather dull but it looks stunning now. Were you wanting a modern look or something more rustic? The pictures below gives an idea of the look of that house as I sadly don’t have a pic!...See MoreHow to improve a 1970s door surround
Comments (15)take down the palatial columns and the roof structure and start again. don't worry about the neighbours, once they see improvement they will all follow suit. I think that a pitched porch that doesn't squeeze the windows to either side of the door will work. the whole aesthetic needs to change. italy it isn't and the style and age really isn't best suited to an ionic column . The doornoptions have been suggested but I think you need some encouragement to go through whole hog!! you won't regret it!!...See MoreImprove/modernise external appearance - timber cladding ideas?
Comments (5)The house looks like its got a good base and just needs a bit updating. I think cladding it in live edge timber would look great with the dormer windows matching. The frames could be changed but it might not be worth the cost/ hassle right away, I'd change the garage door to a timber one and maybe clad the porch area in a stone to work with the other stone walls? You could also change the small roof at the front for a balcony (or faux balcony) with a metal railing. It would look good with some planting on it, maybe on the rails?...See More- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago




janet_allen8