e_l_e_684

Refurbish or Replace Kitchen?

Emma Evans
4 years ago

Hi there, I'd be really grateful for some help and advice!

I am trying to get my kitchen updated but seemed to have hit a stalemate. Keeping the existing lay out, I would like to keep the existing cabinetry (just repaint it) along with the oven and extractor fan but virtually everything else would be changed (see list below). I am also hoping to enlarge the kitchen window so the sill is the same level as the work top or just above and the view to the garden is improved.

1. Create bespoke ‘utility cupboard’ in corner of kitchen (replacing existing white dresser) to house the washing machine and dryer with space for ironing boarder/hoover etc next to it. We would like replace the current kitchen door to a sliding door which slots in-between the cupboard and wall so it doesn’t obstruct the cupboard.
  2. A new tall larder unit to be built where the dryer currently sits with shelving inside and space for a microwave (front to match existing cabinetry).
  3. A new cabinet to be fitted where existing washing machine is (front to match existing cabinetry).
  4. New fitted dishwasher to be fitted (to replace old one) with matching cabinet door on the front.
  5. Remove all head height cabinets and replace with 2 shelves – 1 running along each side of wall with 2x lights on each side.
  6. New buried sink to be fitted with new combi/boiling water tap.
  7. Work tops to be replaced with light coloured acrylic.
  8. Tiles to be removed and replaced with either new tiles or similar material to worktop (tbc)
  9. Walls to be repainted
  10. All cabinets to be repainted

The reason I am doing it this way is partly cost and partly it seems silly to change units which are in perfect working order otherwise. My issue is that many kitchen designers don't seem interested in working with existing cabinetry and 'bespoke' stuff seems hideously expensive - one designer has said that I would also find it difficult to match up the cabinets so it will look mis-matched (not ideal!)?! Given all the changes I am suggesting, am I better to just change the cabinets too, opening up the options for more mainstream kitchen suppliers like Wren etc?

I also have the issue that the changes I have suggested involve several different trades (plumbing, glazing, carpentry etc) and kitchen designers (even main stream ones) only seem to be able to do part of this. is this normal? I've contacted a few builders but have had a luke warm response (or no response at all!) How did others approach this?

Advice on how I move this forward would be amazing! Pictures attached...

Thank you!

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.