Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

How important is a view?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I used to live in a basement flat and the view wasn't exactly spectacular. Now I live on the 1st floor and although the view is limited to the street, I still love that I can people watch.

Does your home have a view? What type of view would you prefer? Would you pay a premium for it?

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info


Modern Bedroom · More Info

Comments (80)

  • 12 years ago
    "His mercies are new every morning," as I look out my kitchen window.
  • 12 years ago
    Cant beat this view from our house by the lake from here in France
  • 12 years ago
    If I walk five minutes down the road this is my view :)
  • 12 years ago
    We love our view!
  • 12 years ago
    View of course! I bought a house with a tiny kitchen window that faced a small mountain. My kitchen renovation revolved around my new bigger window just so I could look out at it!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    What a wonderful thread! Love all of your pictures. We are fortunate to have a lovely view of the fields and forest that stretch out before us.
  • 12 years ago
    I ended up essentially tearing down a house in West Seattle and replacing it with one I designed. The upstairs was a combination living/dining/kitchen great room with vaulted ceilings with a panoramic view of downtown Seattle across Puget Sound, the Cascade mountain range and Mt. Rainier. Most of the time I was so focussed on what I was doing that I wasn't aware of the view. I don't think I'd pay a premium for a view unless I had the money to spare - in fact when I bought my current home there were a couple with views that I passed on for one on a quieter street and that wasn't on a potential landslide cliff.
  • 12 years ago
    Oh, yes, Gatski Metal...just the view we're looking for when we retire! Well, maybe more trees a bit closer in, but...yeah...you're on the right track! We're thinking Kentucky and about 50 acres, or so...
  • 12 years ago
    Up until a year ago, we lived in a rented 2 bedroom apartment. The best thing about it was the view. It was on a hill overlooking the LA Harbor. We could sit on our balcony and watch the container ships, cruise ships, and sail boats go by, and on 4th of July, we had the perfect view of the fireworks.

    If the weather was clear (most of the time), we could also see down the coast to Dana Point or look to the left and see Downtown LA and even the Hollywood sign. To the right, the view was of the Pacific Ocean.

    We really miss the view - but it is the only thing we miss. We love owning our own home now, with more space, beautiful kitchen, etc. No "view" now, but a beautiful established safe neighborhood on a street lined with Jacaranda trees.
  • 12 years ago
    A good view is a priority for me. I love my view! Falling asleep and waking up to the Atlanta skyline never gets old.
  • 12 years ago
    The view is everything, the house can be tweaked.
  • 12 years ago
    I don't think there's anything prettier than the view from downtown Seattle looking west...on a sunny day! We're currently living on an island helping aging in-laws and I will admit that the view out our windows is pretty nice.
  • 12 years ago
    We just built our dream house and retirement home in Theodore, AL. From the back deck we can see Mobile Bay and Fowl River and from the front deck we can see Fowl River. We feel like we are in a vacation home and still feel like it is too good to be true.
  • 12 years ago
    My husband and I just purchased a 900 sq ft home on the shores of Lake Michigan in Wisconsin. With its collapsing deck, rotted windows and unusual design...that can all be repaired...but the view is amazing and worth every penny!
  • 12 years ago
    My view is of trees- nature- country living at it's finest. No I don't have a beautiful mountain view or a lake right outside but at any time I can spot deer, turkeys, birds etc. out my front door or drive through the beautiful rolling hills that surround me. What is more important to me is what is NOT in the view. City streets and cars and noise, annoying neighbors right on top of me. I value my privacy and peace and quiet more than anything and yes we did pay more to be away from the rest of the world. I would not give it up for anything other than to live on a lake someday....
  • 12 years ago
    Working on buildinng my dream home so I can wake up to this every morning.....I feel so blessed to have it....Go to my property fills me with peace & serenity.....just love it!!...Totally worth it....
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with one of the above comments that said a view feeds the soul. Whatever view fills you with peace and inspiration is what you should search for.
  • 12 years ago
    We just bought our retirement home, primarily for the view. Our current home is up north and mostly trees and neighbors. So the view of the mountain, sky and wide open space is fantastic.
  • 12 years ago
    We built our living area on the second floor to take advantage of our Columbia River view. It is new every day
  • 12 years ago
    A tree is a view, and so necessary. Even a picture can be a stand-in for a view if there is no window... We have just sold our house of 20 years to buy a view of the State park in Topanga CA. I live there already in my head. I can hardly wait to build the house... We watch the coastal fog roll in along the canyon, sunrise over the Palisades, coyotes, bobcats, deer... it breaks my heart it's all so beautiful.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Mountains, lake, sunrises and wildlife. Love my view. I sell real estate in Alaska and my clients will definitely spend more on a view property.
  • 12 years ago
    I sense that we all define a 'view' as something that makes us feel alive!!! Could be snow, could be beach or mountains or the city skyline. If when you look at your view, your heart soars with joy...that is the best thing.
  • 12 years ago
    I would take a smaller house for a nice view!
  • 12 years ago
    View is number one, unfortunately I gave up my house on a lake for my parents' home with no view, but there is love here and that trumps view!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    This view was the reason for the purchase so yes I would say a view is highly important. I prefer natural views to urban landscapes. Ocean, mountain, water views are where I find the most peace with the greatest return.
  • 12 years ago
    We have owned 9 homes over the years. Some with views but we hit the bonus last year. New home on Champlain Islands with sunrises over Lake and Green Mountains. Love it!
  • 12 years ago
    A view and privacy is one of the most important things to look for in a home, in my opinion. It was a non negotiable item when we purchased all of our homes.
  • 12 years ago
    My view right now
  • 12 years ago
    Everyone who visits us comments on the view of the lake. My camera phone doesn't do it justice. The lake looks smaller. We have no close neighbors so is very private. We have many deer come through the yard, have had many bears as well.
  • 12 years ago
    View today
  • 12 years ago
    Although I love rolling fields and mountains, my favorite view is the beautiful, majestic combination of ocean and sky as seen from our vacation home in Boca Raton. We are lucky indeed!
  • 12 years ago
    Our view in Prescott Arizona. Perched on the side of a hill. Small house with large windows. Sun shines every day. Feeds my soul.
  • 12 years ago
    A view depends on what kind of a person you are and what you want. Personally it's a must to have a view even if your amongst the city or located in the suburbs to the country, either way it's important to have the natural sunlight and views to make your home a home.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    View is a large part of the three most important things in real estate . . . location, location, and location.
  • 12 years ago
    When we bought our Orange Beach AL gulf front condo, it was all about the view. We knew the condo would be gutted & updated over time. Every day I feel I am blest for the view & at peace.
  • 12 years ago
    My backyard...I love it. We live in southern Indiana and it's countryside is beautiful and peaceful. I spend lots of time enjoying the views. I think a great view really matters in how much you enjoy being home.
  • 12 years ago
    Mountain home view
  • 12 years ago
    City home view
  • 12 years ago
    Didn't have to pay a premium for either. Just looked hard for a long time. We are blessed.
  • 12 years ago
    Didn't pay premium for this view, however the house is less than desired- view makes up for everything!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Having a view of the outdoors, whether prime or just ordinary helps extend the living space bringing the outdoors in. Allowing daylight in to more spaces can also contribute to healthier living.
  • 12 years ago
    I work from home and having a view is very important as it makes me feel part of the city. The view extends your eye out past the walls and makes the apartment feel incredibly spacious. A view is a must item for me.
  • 12 years ago
    Views--definitely! We built and moved into our new house on Utah Lake last winter. Now that it's summer, I spend as much time on our decks as I can, eating breakfast and dinner there every day. It's the reason we moved here, and we'll retire here.
  • 12 years ago
    We didn't intend to buy our retirement home with a view but when this adorable French Norman one story home on a big lot with a view went up for sale at a reduced price, we bought it the first day. The home needed lots of updating but the view was perfect as is. It combines the mountains in the distance, beautiful sky, neighboring trees, and some cityscapes, but the openness really does make your home feel larger and more private. We live in S Cal and spend more time outdoors than inside our wonderfully remodeled home. First view in 40 years of marriage and we must say it's pretty awesome!
  • 12 years ago
    View of Blue Hill Bay, Maine from our backyard. A little piece of heaven!
  • 12 years ago
    Backyard view of Blue Hill Bay, Maine!
  • 12 years ago
    We fall in love with this place on Adriatic coast, with 6 beaches in the radius of 2 km. The panoramic view of the sea and mountains is added with air that smells of sea and cypress trees. Sometimes, we want to go to a big city for a month for shopping, theater , concerts, etc., but we like to return. We are open for exchange proposals.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes, it is worth the premium.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Having a view is such a bonus! I love having my desk right next to the window and working next to any view versus a wall.