church renovation
12 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (8)
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
Related Discussions
January 2016 decluttering challenge!
Comments (61)I'm back - lots of 'stuff' went to charity, house looking better but still a loft full! That will change as I'm selling loads to support both my Church funds and a children's charity which I'm cutting off my hair for!!! They make wigs for children who've lost hair due to cancer. I've got about 10 inches so far and I'm hosting a supper, auction and haircut night in the spring - want to grow a couple of inches more for 2 wigs. It costs the charity £350 per wig so need twice that & I'll be a happy shorthaired bunny. My paid helper is a little prone to not quite finishing jobs so next week it's that, then up in the loft to have a good sort. I WAS a compulsive shopper - she's put paid to that and made me see sense - so all of my beautiful items, brand new, tags on, have to go!!!!! Cathartic or what!...See MoreLive Chat Series with George Clarke - January 19, at 3pm
Comments (100)Dear @judibutler I assume you are referring to a wall which is wholly above ground and that you have completely ruled out damp tracking into the wall from above. A lot depends on the size and thickness of the wall and other factors, such as if the building is listed. Damp penetration (driving rain) through granite walls has been an ongoing problem in church towers in the southwest of England for some time. Ironically the problem often seems to get worse after re-pointing in lime. Granite is fairly impervious and was often in laid in large blocks meaning trapped water has little chance of getting out through thin mortar joints. Historic England held an excellent conference on the subject in 2013; the transcript of proceedings can be found at: http://content.historicengland.org.uk/content/docs/research/damp-towers-conf2013-programme-transcripts.pdf A roughcast lime render coat may help, but there could equally be voids in the wall which are holding damp and may need grouting. However, grouting is a very tricky and expensive technique which should not be undertaken lightly, and only works if one knows exactly where the voids are. Over-cladding the whole wall with semi-sacrificial weather boarding may be a last resort. This and rendering are likely to require planning consent. Depending on where you are located, a company like ArchiMetric (www.archimetrics.co.uk) could insert some interstitial moisture monitors into the wall to try and find out exactly where and when the damp is getting in and how it is moving through the wall, but this may be expensive. Some localised investigation by dismantling pockets of stone may be useful. The Society of Ancient Buildings helpline (mornings only on 020 7456 0916) may be able to help with specialists in your area. Most importantly try to get an understanding of how water is getting into and moving through your wall before you embark on anything. If your problems relate to below-ground damp then a different response will be needed....See MoreHouse proud? Upload a pic of your home!
Comments (62)Thank you so much edwards28. Hope my own project (if we ever decide the zones!) will be as wonderful as yours :)...See MoreWindows! Can anybody help with the windows?
Comments (8)Hi Sarh123, we've also considered flush windows which I agree look better than shiny white. We have considered changing the colour to a pale grey so they aren't so prominent but we are worried about them being out of context with the rest of the street (and we would have to go back to planning!) We have thought about squaring off the bay but the builder has advised that it would be like a box stuck on the front. I hadn't thought of a splayed bay, thanks for the advice, I'll look into it. It's been very difficult to get right !...See More- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago
- 12 years ago

i-architect