POLL: Open-plan or closed layout?
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
POLL: Yay or nay - open plan kitchens?
Comments (206)We are often approached by clients who are creating an open plan kitchen, dining and living area. To overcome some of the issues we make cabinetry which can hide away the usual clutter found in a busy kitchen. Bi-fold and pocketing doors are great in this instance as ovens and even sinks can be hidden away, making the cabinetry seem more like a piece of furniture than a kitchen. Our clients love being able to change the look of a space in an instance! It is crucial to make sure you choose your appliances carefully, i.e. a quiet dishwasher and a good extractor are of huge benefit here. As long as the space is thoughtfully planned there is no reason that it shouldn't work functional and aesthetically....See MoreFurniture layout open plan kitchen
Comments (133)I might get overruled on that one! (Although my husband is obviously wanting to watch it for different reasons!). I'm pleased that you're happy with it! That's great that they're washable, so handy, and that the dog likes it!! No Xmas took over... I need to look at it urgently as damp has now appeared in one room, I feel like I've cursed it :( we went to Bruges last week and I admired numerous houses, as you do (!), and I'm now thinking of slightly less traditional colours.... I just can't make my mind up, i wish whoever hadn't rendered it in the first place as it would be so much easier!...See MoreGround floor layout - open plan - HELP!
Comments (7)Hi vaivadr, I think a simple solution would be to put a quarter turn on the steps and then move the WC further back. That will give you a much more spacious entrance. In a small place like this you need to minimise the amount of corridors so I would make the corridor smaller and give more space to the kitchen. I would move the kitchen to the other side because you have much better option on that side with the much longer wall. I would use the space where the kitchen is now as the dining area with bench seating to save space, providing seating for up to 6. This will now allow you to open up the entire back wall with bi fold doors. Filling the house with natural light. I would add a long island with bar stool seating in parallel to the kitchen rather than peninsular as that will add to the illusion of depth to the house making it feel more spacious. The remaining area would be the lounge. This layout gives you a more usable front entrance and gives you a lot of flexibility with regards to your kitchen size, for example if you prefer a bigger kitchen you could extend it further into the living area and vice versa. It also means you are free to remove the back wall and bring the outdoors in with a large bi fold door, producing a spacious light filled home....See MoreDesign/layout ideas for open plan space
Comments (7)Hi Katy, congratulations on your new home. We have a mid terrace 1930’s house and a few years ago now extended at the back. I like the plan you have- toilet at the front with window, great idea- easier if the waste pipe is already at the front of your house too for the first floor bathroom. A couple of things I would say: I’m not convinced on the full length window, I would say if you really want bifolds make opening a bit bigger and leave enough blank wall to fit the depth of a cabinet/storage system on the left hand wall. I would def add double maybe frosted glass doors to separate the living room as and when required. Also I’d keep the island top clear of appliances, I use mine for food prep and lots of socialising (back when we could 😀) and a sink interrupts that, kids have breakfast, do homework, husband works there often and uses it as a standing desk. Also by keeping the kitchen on 1 side and living all on the same there is always a possibility of having a large sit down get together or a space for a dance floor! I’ve clearly missed socialising in lockdown, but in the interim it’s been a great space for PE with Joe all those days of homeschool. I’ve attached a photo and floor plan so you get the gist....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago



Amber Jeavons