staceywhyle

Styling space behind sofa

staceywhyle
7 years ago
We've just finished renovating our entire house and have run out of steam somewhat. We need some help styling the space behind our sofa. We've currently left a space of about 35cm behind the sofa and the wall as the furniture looked better away from the wall. We have wall lights only in this room, one of which can be seen next to the window. We'd ideally like a lamp behind the sofa and are also undecided about art, or mirror or something else on the wall.

Originally we'd planned to have a long console table behind the sofa with photos, vases etc displayed, along with a table lamp. The sofa however is very long at 3.25m and a custom console is looking expensive. If it's the right option, we can wait but I'm not convinced. I saw a picture recently where a console table was placed behind a sofa but didn't run the entire length. In the second picture below I've moved a console from the hall to test what this might look like. I like the look, I feel the console needs to be lower but you get the idea. However my husband is unconvinced and feels that we need something more symmetrical.

We are open to suggestions. What would you do? I've made so many design divisions recently that I'm happy with but this is stumping me.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.