prinelly63

Our new purchase

Nikki Prinelle
7 years ago
Hi there we are in the process ( nearly complete ) on our dream house. With the give ment changing stamp duty and things our savings we had for any work to be done has been dramatically reduced. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on two areas of the house to start off with. Firstly kerb appeal for the external area and secondly the entrance hall/staircase. I'm not awfully keen on the wood looking staircase and can't afford to update/modernise it. So was thinking could it paint?? Maybe cream/light risers and spindles and dark brown/black hand rail? Would appreciate any advice suggestions thank you in advance

Comments (30)

• Jenny Carter
    7 years ago
    Wow what a beautiful house!! I actually love the wooden stairs and think you may regret painting them!! Maybe once you get some of your own things in the house you may not notice them as much. I would wait a bit you may learn to love them! Also that would take ages to paint that's a BIG staircase!!! Good luck with your move X
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you very much.

Yes it is a big stair case and I look at that picture and do hate it but you might be very right I might learn to love. I'm not a wood type of girl that's my prob I like all shiney blingy modern stuff ( that stuff that's a nightmare to keep polished'!!
    Will certainly wait till we move in and get a feel for the house the house we currently have isn't as big and our current furniture will only fill one room but do feel it's important not to rush into buying everything at first

Thanks for you comment
  • Related Discussions

Our new grey bathroom looks brown

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi there, You might try and change the colour of your bulbs if it's the artificial light causing the colour distortion. Ie they usually do a warm white or a cool white in bulbs so it's worth trying that first. If it's natural light causing it then accessory wise you could go with any colour. Red, hot pink & even a rich cobalt blue (mostly warm tones) would brighten it up a bit.
    ...See More

Our home 'new extension with new arrival'

Q

Comments (2)
    its beautiful. i think i will be having similar doors from howdens in the white primed shade. i love your wood and white tones. its something my husband and i are working on to achieve in our house. do you have any before photos?
    ...See More

Our new front door!

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Stanesy, I agree with Signature Interiors that neither black nor white seem appropriate for this doorway. White, as mentioned above makes everything else look 'dirty' but also can look dirty itself very quickly too. Black is a very dark and bold statement but will not really work with what I can see of the property so far or the other elements you have in the entrance there. I would love to ask a lot more questions like: Do you have more photos of the exterior of the house? What colour are all the other window frames in the property? What style of interior are you going for (even if eventually)? Will you be changing the door furniture to add to the fresh statement you are trying to achieve? Feel free to email some answers to enquiries@createperfect.co.uk and i will be happy to take a look for you. We also offer some great packages and advise that may help you until begin rendering. Very exciting times! All the best, Gina
    ...See More

Launched our NEW VIDEO today, what do you think of our Craftsmanship ?

Q

Comments (0)
    WATCH HERE
    ...See More
  • tamp75
    7 years ago
    I see what you mean about the staircase - is it pine. For me the problem is the colour of the wood but like previous poster said, live with it for a while. Outside looks good but is quite 'plain'. Obv a large drive & lawns which need a lot of plants to soften it. Will look fantastic eventually but it's a huge job which you can build on over time. How about box planters with trellis attached & climbing plants on the gable ends to start.
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes think it is pine and like u say it's the colour!!

Great I'll look about for some large planters and get that going soon as we move in was also thinking hanging basket on each side maybe or either side of the front door what do u think?

Thank you for your reply
  • tamp75
    7 years ago
    Hanging baskets would look fine at the entrance but a pain to keep looking good! Two standard plants (olives, roses, bay) would look good in large pots each side of the door & may suit the style of the property more. With a large property, you prob need larger plants/ pots to make enough impact but like I've said you can add to it over time. An exciting project - if you like gardening, that is!
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great thank you.

It's a massive life time project that garden to me it will b right one day. But I'll not get ahead of my self just get in get the feel for things first before I start. The inside needs lots of updating so that will b my first task
  • tamp75
    7 years ago
    Good luck with it all! We've just spent the last 15 months on major renovation of our house & garden - though not quite on same scale as yours. Sunny days = garden work. Duller days = inside! Try to enjoy the process as well as the end result!
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you and thanks again for great advice
  • shelleyuk
    7 years ago

I'm not sure hanging baskets will make much difference at all (and can look a bit twee) and I think you need to make or invest in lots of large containers (assuming that your driveway is block paved right up to the house and you can't dig any out). The single storey gable end is very plain and I would focus on that and the side wall to start with. A long planter across that front with plants that are showy and large enough for the scale of the house e.g. rhododendrons rather than snowdrops and marigolds.

I have a similarly plain house and we've been gradually trying to make it less so. it takes time (or lots of money if you want to do it all at once).

Personally I'm with you on the staircase. Orange pine is very dated (all though of course these things go in cycles and so who is to say that in ten years time it would be en vogue again). I'd paint all of the wood trim in the house white (all skirting boards architrave etc). You'll need a decent undercoat if you're not going to strip it back. If you do it now at the beginning of your time in the house it will be less disruptive. I wouldn't go for cream, it could look like its white which has yellowed and it can again looked dated. If you want the handrail dark brown you will need to strip and stain it. That's a big job..

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Fabulous house.

Perhaps swap the spindles on the pine stairs to glass for a more modern look.

I certainly wouldn't paint them.
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh yes I do like that idea had the wood been like that I think it would have been great but will it look right with that awful colour that's there
  • juliehepworth3
    7 years ago
    I also dislike the stair case. I was always taught Pine was a wood that had to be painted. I would definitely paint the frame white,leaving the wood in between to be stained a darker mahogany colour,thus leaving definition between the frame & the spindles,which I would paint white. I would paint the rises white,& stain the step flats the same colour as the definition line. Finally the rail to be the same colour as the rest of your mahogany stained wood. I think this will give you a very classical look & make your entrance hall less dominated,giving you lots of scope to furnish in your own style. Good luck.Julie,Ilkley.
  • Pauline Giroux
    7 years ago
    If the wood was a darker colour, it could look magnificient and very grand - could you stain it in a walnut or dark oak colour? I think painting white will make it disappear rather than making a feature of it, which would not look right for such a big staircase. It has the potential to be a wow factor in the right shade!
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for your comment I think you have explained it better than me but that was what I was thinking along the lines the floor has recently been changed to a cream large tile which I quite like so thought the creams dark Browns would all work well something along the lines for the photo I've added.

Thanks again
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for your comment Pauline yes I do agree it has to be done right for the wow factor it's just which way I do appreciate all the comments
  • juliehepworth3
    7 years ago
    I think I would buy the very large square planters,that look like the traditional leaded ones. Plant either topiary balls,box trees,cypress trees,anything you like as long as it is Big,Tall or Wide. Also make sure it is going to be happy in a container. Start with a few in the obvious places & then add to them as you get used to the look.
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I think exposed wood is great in a cottage but this grand house needs a more elegant painted finish.
    I would flank the drive with trees like acer, silver birch, laurel, holly, cherry and near the house create some borders to soften the brickwork and driveway
  • Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow that is beautiful that is great advice thank you
  • Joanna C
    7 years ago
    It's a fantastic entrance hall space ;) Perhaps it'd be possible to replace the banisters and paint the steps? If you're into your modern, bling you thins then perhaps architectural topiary in massive pots outside might suit? And a tree by the drive.
  • Lottie Schmidt
    7 years ago

I think picking out the handrails and treads in a contrasting colour (and the rest in white) would look very elegant. Whilst our staircase was a dark stained, timber 70s stair case, we did this and painted the treads in Farrow and Ball's 'Railings' (floor paint) and although I say it myself, the result was great. I think the look of the picture posted above would be perfect. A very dark navy is slightly softer and more elegant than black or brown.

• rhepiane
    7 years ago
    Any suggestion how to plan a nice extention on this type of house ...
  • jillyhilltop
    7 years ago

Once you've painted the staircase you've got to keep painting it as it will inevitably get knocked and scuffed. If you can live with it for a while and see how you feel when your own furniture and stuff are there you might feel differently. A darker stain, walnut perhaps would look good. It looks a really impressive space as it is. Good luck with your move.

• kahaworth
    7 years ago
    It is an expensive job but we removed the spindles and replaced them with toughened glass in our last house. It gave a modern look with more light. We also painted the steps - the overall effect was great. Good luck with it all
  • angelboyman
    7 years ago
    The staircase is knotty pine, there's nothing that needs painting more than knotty pine. Hardwood doesn't have knots in it so you know it's a quality wood but pine is just good for covering over, in my opinion, so break open the paint and get rid of that pine. However, put a dark stain on the handrails and it will really bring it alive.
  • muwarner
    7 years ago

MU

How about planting some trees ? With the size of garden it would be possible to plant trees in groups of three : perhaps silver birch (Betula) the foliage of which moves attractively in the breeze. Larger trees would grow more slowly but the choice is vast. The advice of a nurseryman, if you are unsure, would be helpful.

• martinbristow
    7 years ago

Lovely house but I'd definitely consider planting some trees to soften it out; this will also greatly increase kerb appeal - As muwarner suggests Silver Birch would be a good start.

• Nikki Prinelle
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for all the great advice. I will certainly get in put my own furniture around and then see how I feel but my furniture all modern so think it will make me worse. Will keep you all posted on how I get on.

Thank you all again
  • kd13
    7 years ago
    what a lovely house best of luck with it all - I would advise to paint the spindles white and stain the handrail & surround & risers dark teak/mahogany - that's a very elegant look we did this with our own and it brightens and modernises the hallway - hope all goes well - also re the trees we are regretting the trees planted along our driveway, the maintenance involved pruning them not to mention picking up leaves it's hard work!
  • kathryng05
    7 years ago

I thought that this looks like what you're thinking of doing. I think it looks fab.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.