Flea markets - love or loathe?
9 years ago
Love
Loathe
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (6)
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Bedroom advice - finishing touches!
Comments (45)Hello again all and sorry for the delay! i have now got a throw and started to extend my gallery over the corner. I grabbed an old chair and rug that were kicking about in my parents' garage and put them in the corner to give me some idea of what i want. actually, i kinda like the beat-up chair but i don't think the rug looks right. is it too small? Now i have the reddish throw (LOVE it... from the Avoca shop in Belfast - amazing place, if you are ever in Belfast do go!!) I am actually considering replacing my blind because i prefer red tones to the turquoise. Just not sure what I would get instead? Still need a fab lamp and more cushions but wisdom says wait for the January sales! I still think I need something more eyecatching on my vanity too... Considering a map above my bed but I don't know if it would compete with the gallery wall too much? have to say i do love the "hello" sign!...See MoreLove or Loathe?
Comments (61)Hello everyone again! Thanks again for all the helpful comments- I am amazed at the interest that this painting has aroused. I have studied the painting very carefully and the line around the painting is caused by the pressure from the inner backboard, so that will have to be addressed. As to the origin of the painting, that remains a mystery, as does the artist themselves- all I know is that it was framed in Hull, UK. I got it for a very good price, but I did have to engage in a bit of bartering with the lady selling it, who looked like a possible descendant of the subject! The hat and pipe are mysterious, but if you look carefully you will see that the man also has his ear pierced, which suggests he is a gypsy- During the Victorian and Edwardian eras, the gipsies in the UK came mainly from Eastern Europe, particularly Romania, and engaged mainly in horse-trading. They were very much despised and mistrusted by the general populace, and were associated with petty theft. The Romanian connection could explain the hat and the pipe- evidently unusual enough for the artist to paint in the first instance. I am going to get the painting valued before we make a further decision- I am going to show all your comments to my wife in the hope that perhaps may have a change of mind! Thanks to all again for your helpful input...!...See MoreIs Magnolia paint bland or beautiful?
Comments (96)@colourhappy I totally agree. Like everyone else I can’t help being influenced by trends but I really try to choose things that are not too ‘of the moment’. Like those enormous wall clocks someone else mentioned. They look fab but they are definitely a trend that will define this period. Eventually there will be a lot of them in landfill. Our trusty magnolia paint saw us through 10 years of family life in our old house with 3 young children. It was super easy to slap a bit more on if it ever got dirty - who am I kidding, I mean WHEN it got dirty. It didn’t clash with the wood effect floors which I think many of the currently popular grey or yellow colours would have. I suppose I’m also lucky that I’ve not spent much time as a renter so I don’t have the frustration of having magnolia forced on me. I don’t remember it being a thing in the 80s either. I DO remember the Dulux ‘hints’ range from then though: Apple white, orchid white etc. My Mum loved those....See MoreMy raised terrace or balcony dilemma. Connecting house to the garden
Comments (42)Hi original poster! I know it’s 7 years since you asked this but would love to know what you did. We are not in a similar position with a similar looking house at the back but even steeper. I know that a full extension and lowering the internal floors would be ideal but we can’t afford that and need a 5-7 year fix. Please let us know what you decided and why ☺️...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago



Bathroom & Kitchen Eleven