Help how to turn this house into having an attractive front
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (6)
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Please help us turn this house in a home for Christmas
Comments (45)Hi, there! What a great start to this room and a great friend you are for helping this gentleman. 1) I agree with what others have said about placing the two sofas facing each other perpendicular to the fireplace, with the coffee table in between and turning the rug. 2) I also agree that the artwork is what should go above the fireplace, not the tv. Then I think the tv could go on the wall opposite the fireplace, if there is enough room. But if placing the tv in the room with the artwork above the fireplace is difficult, then the tv could go above the fireplace. 3) It's hard to tell where the chandelier is located, but if possible, I'd swag it to be centered over the coffee table and centered with the fireplace. 4) I'd place a large tufted bench with roll arms and small side table or floor lamp in the bay window. This can easily be moved aside or in front of the fireplace during Christmas to make room for a large Christmas tree. 5) I'd go with a medium to dark grey on the walls, leaving the moulding white and LOVE the idea of the accent color of purple on the fireplace wall. I'd also paint all the radiators in the same color as the walls to "hide" them a bit. (You can also have boxes built around the radiators to make it look like a piece of furniture.) 6) If you move the artwork, you will have a blank space between the wall sconces. If those are permanent fixtures, you could place an assortment of mirrors on this wall arranged like artwork. 7) I would find a nice buffet (maybe something like this: http://www.westelm.com/products/parsons-mirror-console-g199/?pkey=cconsoles-buffet-tables&cm_src=consoles-buffet-tables||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-) to place under the sconces, then you can place the chairs to either side of the buffet. It would be a great counter to have for entertaining purposes, to put out an assortment of appetizers. And a design like this, you don't have to be too concerned with covering up or getting too close to the radiator. And the chairs can be stored to either side, but be brought out into the main area for entertaining. Alternatively, you could place a large decorative floor mirror leaning against the wall between the sconces (with the chairs on either side) and place a nice buffet console table behind the couch across from it. 8) To either side of the fireplace in the "nooks", I would put some wood console tables or cabinets (they don't have to be a matching set) in a deep rich java. On top of those, I'd place a tall buffet table lamp and place either one nice piece of art on the wall above or an arrangement of smaller art. You could also do one piece on one side and an arrangement on the other. 9) I would straighten the back couch cushions to make them look more streamlined and place the accent pillows against the back in somewhat of a line, rather than haphazardly. So, there would be one small accent pillow for each of the back pillows or at least evenly spaced out. Golds and bronzes would also look lovely with the greys and purples and I like the idea above about adding something zebra print, too. You have such great pieces to work it, I think most of it will just take rearranging and adding a few things here and there. Good luck! I would love to see the "after" photos!!!...See MoreNeed help on my passageway between front and back of house
Comments (2)I hired a local carpenter to build a shed along our side passage. It's a somewhat odd shape - 1mx10m but it works well for storing bikes, paint, garden tools and all manner of other items. It has a door at both ends and so could technically still serve as a passage, but we don't use it as such....See MoreFront of house - warm/soft white with grey accents. But how?!
Comments (5)Big thanks tamp75. I really like your idea of RAL 9007 for garage door (standard product) and Sadolin "volcanic ash" for the window frames. Hadn't thought of that! And I think you might be right about the weathering of the "traditional" shade of Marshalls driveway products. Have been noticing this as a pass local front gardens. Anyone have any ideas for a warm/soft white shade for the exterior wall? A mum at school suggested RAL 9010 - she said that was the advice her sister (an architect) had given her on her house (she was doing the interiors). Any views?...See MoreDesign help needed with area in front of house
Comments (2)Dear John Walsh, I attached a quick sketch for you. My suggestion is to keep the drive/paved area taking the majority of the front space to maximise the parking area. I would create a terrace at point A levelling - or achieve a gentle slope - from the car's entrance and the house's door. I would created a low containing wall by the house entrance door for the level's gap between the drive and the point A. Using plants and shrubs close to the entrance of the house will add interest and colours, softening the wall's edge. My advice is to plant shrubs with a low full growth height on the private share drive's corner and to keep them regularly trimmed to maximise the visibility for local traffic. The shape of the curved part of the drive near the house's entrance door will depend on dimensions of the overall parking area and if you are likely to park your car right by the door. Not sure how busy is the main road but an edge and a high fence will reduce dust and noise (Google: Acoustic fencing). Orientation and shading is to be considered before choosing to plant threes and/or shrubs that can grow over 2m H. I hope it helps, best of luck with your project! Elena Jackson at Interior & Design...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago



Julie Norris