webuser_266643640

Banquette or move kitchen?

Kirsty Kirby
5 years ago

I am looking for advice on a layout mistake. I've posted previously with the following;

I've made a big mistake in the layout of my new extension, to cut a long story short my dining table was right in the middle of the space and I quickly found it was a pain to walk around and was used as a general dumping ground for post, handbags etc.

The only 'solution' that I can think of now is to move back the wall with the utility to the right as you walk into the space. However I am restricted structurally because a) I need to retain a pier and b) I cannot remove the wall between the utility and the kitchen.

So, my first question is - do you think that is a sensible idea? Are there any alternatives that I haven't spotted? Unfortunately I don't think I can live with the table in the middle.

My second question is - if I do move the wall how best to accommodate a dining table? I need to be able to seat 8. The space would be restricted because I have to retain a pier - see photos and layouts. I've resorted to shoving the table against the wall for now.

I've looked into banquette style seating and square tables but I really don't know. I am also worried about having a big space of nothing in the middle of the room.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I've pretty much decided that I am definitely going to do something rather than live with the table in the middle or pushed to one side. I could pursue the banquette idea I originally had or I could bite the bullet and totally change the original layout. Here are some rough drawings of my ideas;

Obviously the banquette route would be much less expensive than moving the kitchen, but there is no point in doing it if it doesn't work out. Can anybody help me out, if I went to the extreme of moving the kitchen are there any better options?

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.