matt_harrison98

System Boiler Advice

Matt Harrison
4 years ago

Hello,

Building work on our 1933 detached house is not due to start until next year at the earliest (we are literally at the beginning of the process, architect came around last month to complete the measured survey).

However, the current boiler is 32 years old and as you can imagine, not very efficient. We moved into the property in March, so we have not had the pleasure of living with it through a Winter. It is presumed the gravity-fed cylinder and headed tank arrangement are also of a similar age.

Preferably, we would like to keep warm in the coming Winter which means installing a new boiler/cylinder prior to the rest of the heating system being updated.

After a little research, I feel a system boiler setup would work best. We have installed PV panels and any excess currently goes through an 'iBoost' to the immersion heater reducing our gas bill a little.

In terms of the refurbishment work, we do not have any final plans, just ideas.

Ideally, the brief is to have a 4 bedroom property that includes a loft conversion with en-suite, a main bathroom and underfloor heating to the ground floor with downstairs WC and utility (not asking for much, right!?).

At the end of the day, a new boiler/cylinder can be moved as and when we know where it needs to go. My question is, what size boiler would you recommend (kW) to ensure it's future proof?

Help appreciated,

Matt

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.