Houzz Logo Print
emmelinewe

How do you make your guests feel special?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Visiting people who open up their doors to you and treat you like a hotel guest is always appreciated.

How do you make a guest feel extra welcome?

Cornishware Mugs · More Info

Comments (50)

  • 12 years ago
    We have a fab coffee maker which gives a choice of about 6 different kinds of coffee. We also have several different syrups to add if they wish. The coffee culture experience is in our home, no need to find a cafe somewhere!
  • Related Discussions

    How do you make your home cosy?

    Q

    Comments (8)
    I like having small collections of things that remind me of good times, like some family photos, a souvenir or something I picked up on a fun vacation, a gift from a good friend, etc. My rooms are similar to old time parlors with small collections of "curiosities" that get people talking, like my certificate for finishing my apprentice blacksmithing class that I had framed and hang on my wall, or the photo of me in my Civil War uniform with my team's cannon. A game of Skittles from Dad's home state of Kentucky, or a fossil from Mom's childhood home in Pennsylvania. https://www.berea.edu/student-crafts/skittles-game/
    ...See More

    How do you make a rented space feel like home?

    Q

    Comments (38)
    We rent unfurnished, so always have our own furniture around us. I don't go in TOO much for the soft furnishings (rugs, cushions, curtains, throws), as they are cluttersome and really interefere with a low-maintenance life. Moreover, sadly, my posters, paintings and photographs have had to stay in storage for about five years, due to increasing fussiness by landlords/ -ladies about holes in the walls. HOWEVER, it is crucial to have ENOUGH of your own things around you, so that the web of YOUR things covers over a space which is, essentially, not yours. Minimalism has definite limits. Our last place had revolting dull mustard yellow walls, which definitely needed covering! Bookcases (with books!), a folding screen/ room divider, tension rods to create hanging rails, and one big rug (for the sitting room) come with us everywhere, like the interior of some sort of nomad's yurt! Seasonal and fresh decorations are another way to decorate a temporary home, and they leave only biodegradable waste, rather than broken MDF or shattered plastic! Leaf-skeletons on a string and rosehip-studded twigs (snap off the thorns!) for autumn (Fall). Holly, ivy and dried wildflowers for winter. Fresh wildflowers for spring and summer. Herbs in the kitchen.
    ...See More

    How do you feel about robot vacuum cleaners?

    Q

    Comments (36)
    @LTS I picked up a Neato Botvac D7 Connected on Amazon's black Friday sale for £399 the other day. It's gone back up to £699 for now but keep an eye on it as in most youtube reviews I've seen it stomps all over the Roomba 980. It's also D shaped so it handles edges much better than round robots, and you can create no-go zones via the app which is great for areas with wires and obstacles it may get stuck on.. Another robot I've heard is good is the Xiaomi Roborock S50, plenty of online reviews for that as well, and it also mops as well as hoovers. It's Chinese made but they do a European version, you'd just need to attach a UK plug or buy a UK plug adapter for it. You can get the S50 for £385 on Amazon. If you don't want to overpay for a Roomba then consider one of those models; only thing that put me off about the Roborock was aftersales if something was to break; Neato are a little more established. There are comparison videos galore out there so take a look before committing your funds!
    ...See More

    How often do you eat in your living room?

    Q

    Comments (33)
    I eat every meal at a table, not in front of the TV. Right now the only table happens to be in the dining room but it's been in my lounge in past homes (and I've lived alone in London so some lounges have been minuscule and been the ONLY room). I don't usually eat alone but if I am I may occasionally flip through a magazine, but I have always eaten at some form of a table and there is never a TV on. I wouldn't use the term vulgar but balancing a plate while watching tv, especially while eating with others isn't how I'd like to enjoy my meals, my family/friends or my TV. Simple pleasures.
    ...See More
  • 12 years ago
    Our guest room is set up with comfort in mind, a comfy bed with freshly laundered linens, plenty of pillows, bedside tables with reading lights, a clock, books, permission to sleep late or to go to the beach at dawn, lots of good conversation, as well as a thorough explanation of where items are in the house. I then say if they need something to just search for it and if they still can't find it to ask for help. This keeps them feeling like a family member and puts me in the non stress zone so that I can enjoy their visit. Our lifestyle is very casual.
  • 12 years ago
    Have most items prepared ahead of time. Take the time to enjoy your guest's visit and we encourage out guests to help themselves if something is wanted--they feel like family and we have had several people tell us how we make them feel so comfortable and at home.
  • 12 years ago
    I agree with all of the above. Our guest room also has a basket of sample/travel size items which may have been forgotten (shampoo, razor etc) as well as a hair dryer. We also have a quilt rack in that room with towels ready. That way they don't have to worry about which ones are theirs, and I don't have to worry that there aren't enough racks in the hall bath!
  • 12 years ago
    My guests have their own bathroom. They may shower in the morning or at night without having to wait for someone else.
    We make wonderful generous meals and always leave leftovers in the fridge. Friends and family know they will be stuffed at our home.
    We live in the country and many friends stay over when visiting. My favorite way to spoil them is with fresh bed linens brought in from the clothesline. Nothing is more wonderful to sleep in than sheets that smell like country air.
  • 12 years ago
    Good ideas, all! I think it's important to give guests space, so they can feel free to keep their own hours and make their own plans. But also include them in some everyday activities - ask them if they'd like to walk the dog around the block, help with cooking, water the plants. People like to feel they are helping out; it makes them feel more welcome.
  • 12 years ago
    I like to greet guests with bread pudding. It is a regional specialty. Be flexible, and let events unfold. I used to plan every meal, and that meant a somewhat rigid schedule. I find it works best to have meal plans and supplies on hand for about half the meals, along with some snacks and the making for a salad meal when the mood strikes. This usually provides enough flexibility for restaurant meals or even planning a meal with guests which can be fun.

    In the bath, we have towel bars on the back of the door so guests have a place to hang damp towels. I think a night light in a guest bath is helpful. When I travel it is a bonus to be able to easily plug in my electronics that need charging. The outlets in my guest room seem to all be behind furniture, so I leave an extension cord plugged in and peeking out from behind the headboard for easy access. A couple other things that are nice - coasters on bedside tables so there is no need to worry about the furniture when you bring a glass of water to the bedside, a clock, tissues, bedside lamp, night light, mirror, a hook for hanging a robe. If there is room, a chair or bench where you can sit to put on shoes is great. Older guests often appreciate a chair with arms for this. A bench or luggage rack to hold the suitcase is also good if there is room. Space and empty hangers in the closet. An empty drawer.
  • 12 years ago
    Guests at my house are treated to the finest mattresses and bed linens...many comment on having the best sleep of their lives.
  • 12 years ago
    I have hooks on the back of all my bedroom doors. Guests can keep their towels separate from everyone else that way. I also have an interesting coat rack near my sliding glass door in the den. After a day at the beach or a dip in the pool, guests can hang their towels on the coat rack so they are dry for the next day.
    I used to have all beach towels color coordinated to my home's decor because it made the linen closet so pretty. Then I realized that everyone took a new towel daily because they all looked alike. Laundry nightmare! I live in a beach community and don't have my own washer/dryer!!!
    I now have different colored beach towels so everyone remembers his own. Some people reading this might think I should offer each guest a fresh beach towel each day......my home is 1200 square feet and I just had 6 adults and 2 children visiting for four days. Who has room for 32 beach towels in addition to regular bath towels?
  • 12 years ago
    A pitcher of homemade lemonade on the porch with some fun cups welcomes them to the beach. Bath towels and wash cloths set out on their bed with a couple little hotel soaps, fresh flowers in their room, a couple fancy bottles of water with cute paper straws tied to them with jute, or a little cocktail umbrella laid open on their towels sets the tone for fun at the beach. Also a little container of their favorite candy or popcorn on the dresser is nice.
  • 12 years ago
    I make sure house is clean, bathroom clean with fresh towels, offer water. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable than to be invited to someone's house and it's dirty with no suitable way to clean my hands in the bathroom.
  • 12 years ago
    My daughter and her family spend most holidays with us, so when we upgraded the sleeping arrangements, I called her for "pillow information"! People are soooo particular about their pillow preferences. She gave me their preferred brand name/style (firm, soft, et al) and replaced the old with the exact ones they liked, adding pillow protectors. I also purchased new sheets/blankets (even coordinated their design/print preferences with my own) and stored each bedding set (along with the pillows) in a zippered, dust-free bag. When preparing for their visit, I just match each bed with it's corresponding bedding bag! During the months they're not here, I just keep a comforter throw and decorative pillows on each bed for a made-look (the mattresses have vinyl covers and mattress pads on them year-round). They love the personalization and I love them being here!
  • 12 years ago
    ok, sometimes things happen spontaneously, and guests can just drop in.....that is why there are always fresh sheets on the guest bedroom bed, a terrycloth robe, shower and bidet towels and freshly washed terry slippers waiting for them.........in their bathroom a few extras (a new toothbrush, and sample size shampoo, conditioner). Coffee will be waiting for them when they wake up......and before I forget, they are offered drinks (wine, beer or a bloody mary) as soon as they step in my house.........just like my mom and dad taught me. all of these things let my guests know that I have been thinking about their comfort and enjoyment. very small little things and gestures that are mostly noticed when not present?? I am not a family, just a single woman, so it is worth the small effort to make my home a warm and fun and easy place to visit.
  • 12 years ago
    We have recently returned to England after living in France and the first thing I wanted to do was prepare a guest room. We have had a small but comfortable en-suite shower room built to our guest room, with the largest shower area we could manage and lots of storage with basic toiletries. Next, zip together beds to accommodate all sorts of visitors. Peg rails and hangars, rather than a wardrobe to give more space for comfy chairs. A plentiful supply of soft towels and bathrobes, Hairdryer, mirrors, tea & coffee making in the room, clock radio and a dressing table come desk for a laptop. Finally pretty window dressing with a black-out blind Can't wait for our first guests to come and test drive it.
  • 12 years ago
    Privacy and all the comforts of home. We have built a guest house, that is attached to our lake home via a covered breezeway so our guests are able to choose their own sleep and awake times and in all honesty, so are we. We also have plenty of room in the main house for guests or larger family gatherings, but we and our guests all prefer the guest quarters for obvious reasons. 'All the comforts of home' is probably an understatement in that from the mattresses to the towels and kitchen appliances to large screen TVs everything is done very well with quality being priority one for our guests.

    Our kids love visiting because they have privacy and their kids, our grandkids, are up and over to the main house as quickly as they can get here, leaving their parents to be able to sleep late and enjoy their coffee in peace on the deck, all while we catch up with our grandkids.
  • 12 years ago
    forker273 - you sound very fortunate to have such a spread. anyone would be lucky to be a guest at such a place with such generous and comfortable folks.
  • 12 years ago
    Two super soft robes. All the toiletries someone might need or forgot in the bathroom. Plush towels folded perfectly.
  • 12 years ago
    Flowers, flowers, flowers.... can't be too many! Xtra - large bath sheets, luxurious soaps and scrubs, crisp linens, and of course slippers. I always keep a tray of their favorite snacks and chocolates bedside that they can't get at home. They never want to leave, lol.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    When family visits I cook the meals & treats my mother and grandmother would serve their guests -my mother was from Germany and my (paternal) grandmother was from Ireland- both of them were inspired cooks who showed their love through food.
  • 12 years ago
    Like nothing is too much bother, and a freshly made sponge cake!
  • 12 years ago
    Like all of these. I like the flowers, but, I seem to get lots of people visiting me in the country with allergies! So, no flowers for them. I have clip on book lights so one person sharing room doesn't disturb the others. Also, each guest room has a basket for laundry.....which they are more than welcome to do if they're shy---just nice to be able to off load that shirt that got dirty at the restaurant the night before, etc.......and also, no need for your guest to pack as much if they know they can do laundry. I use 12 by 6 inch silver hotel trays on the beside tables---I've learned that too many people just don't use coaster! And, they bring coffee into their room, wine glasses, etc. The tray is big enough for them to get the hint and they use it without thinking! I keep all the hotel sized toiletries in a big basket for them to rummage through themselves as not everyone likes the same scent, etc. And, sunscreen in the bathrooms. Tissues in bath AND bedroom. Frankly, I tell my guests not to bring any toiletries at all unless they need special things....as I have it all here from toothbrushes which I buy at big box store, etc. Packing for the plane ride is made easier that way!
  • 12 years ago
    I leave a welcome gift pack in the guest room with 3 or 4 small items -- chocolate/candy, a flower, a music CD, nuts, etc. and a nice note.
  • 12 years ago
    I always leave a tip jar in the guest bedroom;))
  • 12 years ago
    Lol Margo - right next to the leg lamp? LOL
  • 12 years ago
    Not to mention hanging the " Welcome" shingle off of Mr. Mouzz's neck Margo! LOL
  • 12 years ago
    I always buy new white towels, as many as needed. Then, when company leaves, I send any of my older ones to the garage and cycle the new ones to my bathroom. The bonus is that white towels are always available on sale and I don't care it they match from set to set.
  • 12 years ago
    Really good tequila helps a lot!
  • 12 years ago
    A good regional German wine or beer.
  • 12 years ago
    One idea is a burly security guard in black ,standing at the front door behind a red rope ,with a clipboard with the guest's name on it.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the timely advice. I'm hosting an exchange student visit later this month, so all your tips will come in handy.
  • 12 years ago
    I tell them, "Mi casa es su casa," and then I hand them the vacuum.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I like to put a little vase of flowers in the guest room and leave out a comfy pair of slippers!
    BY FRYD 2012 · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    The single most important thing to make your guest feel welcome is to test drive the room/suite or area you have set-up for your guests. Days, even weeks prior to your guests arrival, you should sleep in the bed to make sure it sleeps comfortable; that the sheets aren't to stiff/rough. Most people buy new luxury bedding thinking it will be soft and comfortable but in fact are usually the opposite. Fabrics always look crisp and smooth from the sizing added when manufactured. From my experience; it takes several washings to achieve the luxury feel that my guests deserve. Then comes that luxury bath feel; same tip goes for the towels to assure softness and absorbency. Don't forget to test drive the shower. You'd be surprised how many people don't have a clue that the shower in their guest bath doesn't have the same wonderful water pressure as the shower they use everyday. Guest towels may look wonderful for display purposes but may not be an easy reach from the actual bath/shower.
    It's the little things that make a different and in most cases your guests will not mention them out of courtesy to you, their host/hostess.
    Make yourself your own "guest" for a day. You will be surprised what "little" tweaks you will give your guest accommodations.
  • 12 years ago
    The ever popular stack of old National Geographic magazines.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Love preparing for my friends. We have a "coffee bar" cabinet in each room full of teas, coffees, sugars, creamers, bottled water, midnight snacks, unopened toiletries (even personal stuff like deoderant, laxitives...you know what it's like to travel and indulge too much). Always extra sets of sheets and towels. I have a pet peeve about bar soap, so every shower includes squirt soap and an unopened bath sponge, which I toss after they depart. Oh, always fresh flowers.
  • 12 years ago
    Happy Independence Day Americans: The Statue of Liberty, a symbol of hospitality:-


  • 12 years ago
    A friend is saying with us for a few months while she looks for a job out of state. I cleared plenty of room in the guest bedroom closet and bathroom so she can store all her belongings the way she wants. To add a personal touch, I put a framed a photo of her and her husband on the desk - she was so touched when she arrived and saw it.
  • 12 years ago
    skylinewater, At my friend's house, each person gets their own colored set of bath towels. That is helpful as well. You know you are green or blue or yellow etc, and don't get towels mixed up.
  • 12 years ago
    Stock favorite foods and beverages of choice, give them all the privacy they like, and make sure they feel at home and don't need to ask if it's ok to...........fill in the blank. I like the idea of using plush white towels and changing out as needed, will use in future!
  • 11 years ago
    I cook them their favourite meal and make sure there's plenty of wine and tea and coffee :)
  • 11 years ago
    I give them a big smile, huge hug and let them have my parking spaces. Followed by NO digging out of photos and we almost always make guests school recipe butter scotch tart.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Perhaps we can help? Lots of our customers tell us their home looks like a 5-star hotel after one of our Cleaning Professionals has been!
    www.homejoy.com
  • 11 years ago

    Homejoy! wow! that is expensive! My cleaning team asks €8 an hour and this includes windows (I have heard some companies do not, or they actually charge extra!!!), shutters, terrace, yard area, laundry, ironing, hauling out the recycling to a common area - light cleaning or very heavy cleaning, indoor or outdoor, all for the same €8. And they have a key to my house. They are now doing all my neighbors as well. I actually pay €10 an hour as they have to come a half hour and they are very flexible and are happy to come last minute weekends when possible.

    I do my own cleaning but this team does the heavy stuff (windows, shutters, cupboards, kitchen appliances, polishing the floor) every 10 days, so I am normally ready for drop in guests. I wish I had them more often!!!!

  • 11 years ago

    Turn off the TV when visitors arrive - unless they're visiting to watch a film/show/Eurovision with you.

  • 11 years ago

    To make them feel at home - let them make their own tea or coffee .... 2 sugars in mine please!

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Let them choose something from our wine cellar.

  • 11 years ago

    Freshly baked goods for tea time, my scones always go down a treat!

  • 10 years ago

    When they come in take their coat and shoes off for them and for the rest of the day night do what they want

  • 10 years ago

    For my regular guests, I make sure I have in a permanent stock of their favourite drinks and snacks. For example, I always keep mini cans of ginger ale in for a friend's little boy (who, ironically, is only allowed it at my house!), and cola for his mum!

    I'm not sure this counts, really, but I also let my partner keep Marmite at my house, which I loathe, so he knows I must love him!