louisep1980

Layout & Through Rooms Help!

louisep1980
8 years ago
We have been remodelling our 1920's detached bungalow to make it suitable for my family & my parents. We have literally split it down the middle giving my parents the original kitchen & a bedroom & us the other half of the house which included a converted loft & rear extension. We have already completed the parents half which I have called the annexe.
We have completed a change to the loft conversion to include a bathroom upstairs so we dont need the bathroom downstairs so the plan is to knock out the walls to the original bathroom & study area to increase the size of that room.

The main dilemma we have is we are trying to create an open plan space on a tight budget. The existing rear extension is flat roof & has 2 steps down into it. When we created the parents annexe we needed a kitchen so we installed one in the extension area with a plan to make the room biggee by extending further at a later date. This isnt going to happen now & so we need to make the space we have work for us.

So do we redesign the kitchen dining area in the extension or do we move it up into the current lounge area?
The plan is to use a section of the lounge area to create a utility as there is access to an outside area at the side of the house ideal for a drying patio. if we keep the kitchen in the same place we would punch through the original external wall, if we bring it up then it woukd be inserted into the new partition wall next to the existing side door.

If we keep the lounge in the same place we are always walking through it to get to the kitchen. If we make it the kitchen diner we walk through it to get to the lounge.

A few other points to consider. The original bathroom window will be converted to a french or demi door 1200mm wide.
The extension currently housing kitchen diner is 3.6 x 5m.
The new room that will be created by removing walls will be 4.8 x 4.6m.
Plan was to put kitchen next to utility & dining table in front of french door.

If keeping kitchen where it is thoughts had been to lose the big island in favour - move french door to the right install new window & put sink there, create peninsular instead, table in front of doors same direction as current.

photos show a sun room on the back which is being removed.
Fantastic countryside views.
Please help with thoughts on layout / feelings on through rooms & what woukd work better kitchen or lounge in the extension.
Thanks!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.