tommyflan

Do you like red?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

Brash, bold and bombastic, red isn't often a colour that hides in the background! For many it's a touch of luxury and warmth to a home, whilst for others it's a colour that quite literally makes them see red.

So what do you think - a big yes or no to red?

Contemporary Kitchen in Fulham · More Info

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Wesco UK
    8 years ago

Love a pop of red in the kitchen - it's bright and a little bit retro, and it's supposed to be a colour that stirs the appetite, which makes it the perfect accent colour for a kitchen!

• PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    8 years ago

We love it! Like Wesco we think it's perfect for kitchens

Red Bevel Brick Metro Tiles · More Info

• Related Discussions

Do you like orange?

Q

Comments (63)
    I never used to like orange. I had a real aversion to it until my late twenties. Friends used to joke about having to hide the oranges in the fruit bowl! But now I love it and use it frequently in my designs. As many have mentioned, it works brilliantly to give pops of colour to liven up a scheme. I'd also love to create a room that takes the Hermès carrier bag as the starting point for a design. I think that orange with a dark brown trim would look incredible. I just need to persuade a client to go with it! The orange tiled wall by van Ellen and Sheryn architects looks great. Well done!
    ...See More

Do you like gold?

Q

Comments (30)
    In the right setting, a one-off feature item in a gold colour, such as a marble fireplace looks stunning! Or for a more subtle look, why not have a bespoke made table top or vanity top in a pale marble with gold coloured veining such as the Calacatta Oro? Let us know what you think! Helen
    ...See More

Do you like blue?

Q

Comments (26)
    I love blue, all shades of it, especially when paired with grey. My favourite item in our new house is my blue swivel chair, the perfect spot to curl up with a good book! As we decorate the house room by room, blue and grey are becoming a recurring theme....
    ...See More

POLL: How do you like your eggs in the morning?

Q

Comments (14)
    Hello Ocean, What a fabulous name! I have to say.. I'm eggstatic about eggstravagant eggs that have been most eggcellently cooked by the most eleggant chef! Who might cater to my eggcentricities! : ))
    ...See More
  • pavinia
    8 years ago

I've a huge fan of a pop of red, especially these gorgeous red chairs...

Central London Town House · More Info

• User
    8 years ago
    The shade and matching up with whatever else is in the room is critical as it can magically lift or dominate and destroy. I love it I small doses.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom,

Not a big lover of red... Depends on the shade... but I tend towards the darker shades or traditional flat matt shades walls only or perhaps deep velvet curtains in a period property.... Seeing as some suggestions have been included.. I'll include one... (which I'm surprised not to have seen already!.. : ) ) (although (for me it's the all chrome one!)

• alant1000
    8 years ago
    I often overlook red but I do like it. I am considering a nice scarlet red letterbox on the front of the house rather than a letter plate on the door.
    Some people seem very violently opposed to red though, it's a bit bizarre. I had a girlfriend once who freaked out as I had a red duvet colour and she 'refused' to go in my bedroom unless I changed it. It was a bit of a mood-killing moment!
  • PRO
    Bluebell Architectural & Design Products
    8 years ago

Used in the right way red can really make a statement. Don't be afraid to be bold:

• anitaylowe
    8 years ago

I can't wear red so love it in decor. Red KitchenAid gadgets and vintage French tea-towels with red stripes are my answer!

• PRO
    Mary Leslie Interior Design
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Definitely include red in the house for warmth, for a focal point, to cheer up a room. You cannot make a dark room light by painting it white, so be brave and use a strong colour instead.

• PRO
    Malcolm Duffin Design
    8 years ago

We love red too , so many people are frightened of it , you should embrace its power and warmth , see attached an entrance hall with pop! One of our designs from years ago.

• Ruth Payot
    8 years ago
    my car is scarlet red
  • Lila 1410
    8 years ago

I like a bit of red for contrast. The outside of all my internal doors is dark ruby. Red and cream border paper round hall, stairway, landing. Study/TV room/spare bedroom is mostly blue but I put red, gold and black border paper round it, red curtains, a red chair, red lampshade, red, black and gold duvet cover, red candles.

• lindalis
    8 years ago

Red is beautiful and comforting but not if over done. I have a very small house and have used pops of it in my lounge and kitchen (sorry about the fuzzy photo). I think the retro bread bin and a few other small pieces just contrast well with the predominantly grey kitchen.

• Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    no..emmm!...no.
  • philip mills
    8 years ago
    In our refurbished kitchen we've gone for red glass splash back they look amazing!
  • k11agl
    8 years ago
    Yes. I always had a red feature wall in my lounge/kitchen while the others as well as furniture being neutral and oaky coloured. I'm planning to have another feature wall in my new kitchen now, although I'm more thinking of a mulberry, dark pink kind of colour...
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Tom Flanagan you seem quite biased about red, made it sound quite cheap and nasty calling it "brash, bold and bombastic" ... I love red (you're surprised I can tell ;-) true red, like pillar box red, not too cherry not too tomato ... maybe it's my southern Mediterranean background (I think it's definitely a cultural and personality thing) ... bold yes, and I would add luscious, feminine/womanly, strong, passionate, alive and fiery. My bathroom is black with full on salsa red walls, the kitchen until quite recently had red chairs, retro scales & kettle, I still have red on all my china and linen. The boudoir definitely. My studio although the only room that is neutral/magnolia, has red blinds. Red often features in my paintings - both my own and ones I have bought from other artists. The living room sofa/rug etc have only recently changed from red to deep pink but I still love it as a colour, I also wear it and love it with hot pink ... no matter other people's rules. So it's a yes from me!

I love everyone's pictures, thanks for sharing! Malcolm Duffin Design I'm not sure even I could live with the striped hall (it's the stripes rather than the fact they are red I think) but it does look amazing!

• stebonheath
    8 years ago

Years ago I discovered that wearing red always lifted my mood so I use it around the house too. When considering a colour scheme for any room in the house (and even flowers/shrubs for the garden) I think about how it will make me feel - can I live with it? This approach works for me and, in my own home, isn't that all that matters?

• eehchristie
    8 years ago

Yes, please!

Not everywhere, but preferably a larger expanse rather than tiny details. My lounge can really take it. I cannot imagine what it would look like with a "neutral" sofa.
    And splashes of red in pictures nearby ....

• tiredoldwoman
    8 years ago

I like reds mixed with deep olive greens and yellow ochre - a bit Italian kitchen ? Red and white is for barbers , satin red is for date night knickers !

So yes and no !

• Trudy Creane
    8 years ago

Use of red in decorating should be illegal! I abhor it.

• Sam Hill
    8 years ago
    Here and there. As quite a full colour, it's fine if it's not used too much unnecessarily.
  • PRO
    Malcolm Duffin Design
    8 years ago

Please don't be too dismissive about such things , I often have to produce schemes that may not appeal at first at my clientsrequest ,as red is not one of my favorite colors , but it can often be refreshing, to do things outside your comfort zone ! For example this beach House I designed, I wanted it to be blue and white , but my client wanted Red! I was pleasantly surprised at the end results.

• PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago

Thanks Malcolm Duffin Design, wise words ... when my admittedly bold red and black bathroom was finished (photo above) I overheard my builders talking about it and they sheepishly admitted when I first explained what I wanted they were resistant and didn't think it would look good ... but once finished, they were impressed and really loved it asking if they could feature it on their website.

It was out of my comfort zone originally too ... I was looking for white/light tiles thinking that was my only choice for such a small space but really fell in love with the unusual bath and black tiles and couldn't find anything I liked better no matter how long I looked so I started to think why not? I started to think how it could work not why it wouldn't ... and I am sooo pleased with how it worked out, even better than the vision in my mind's eye, and I really love it even years later it makes me smile when I walk in there.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello All,

So we see that red can work if chosen well, but I haven't seen an image that I like yet so I think some research is in order for me... but the question was whether we like it.. Not if we can work with it.. We have to at all times work with what we may personally not like... That's versatility and adaptability for you, personal likes aside...

: ))

• eehchristie
    8 years ago

Agree with Malcolm. It's so hard to tell beforehand. My tiler thought I was insane to task him with red mosaic on what had just been concrete. Half way through the job, he was standing in admiration at the choice. You don't have to like it, or want it, but it does work.

• PRO
    Deuren
    8 years ago

I actually love an accent of red in a room, we actually sell quite a few doors of that colour so there must be others out there that share my viewpoint!

• PRO
    Global Inspirations Design
    8 years ago

I love adding splashes of colour to my interiors! Red is a very invigorating colour, stimulates appetite and energises you :) Of course there are also some negative associations to the colour red, such as anger and aggression and it is therefore important to consider all members of the home as to how they feel about the colour RED. Personally, I would never use it in a bedroom, but like using red accessories or sometimes also a bit more such as in the image attached :)

Apartment in Basel, Switzerland · More Info

Apartment in Basel, Switzerland · More Info

• keen bean
    8 years ago

What's not to like....? A colour is a colour and you can either use it or abuse it? I wouldn't say I'm a particular fan of red as a colour, but if I found a gorgeous piece of furniture or painting that looked great in red I would then start to find accents in other pieces and create my room around it. I do agree it may not work in a bedroom though - it's not a calm colour, but then some people may want a lively, energetic feel in their bedrooms???!!! Help them get out of bed in the morning maybe. :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Lovely! : ))

I have found other ideas whilst researching to really find out if I could love red and moreover where red has been used and how.. I'm not interested in a cushion- that isn't enough to convince me.... So for me I would not say I don't like it, having found some exciting examples.... but I do like to see it tastefully used, and possibly in more interesting ways aside from my two picks here.. : ))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Keen bean, I have a red bedroom so your comments made me laugh! It is a dark red and I know it's a marmite paper but the gold in it is amazing in real life. I wouldn't say I'm a red fan ( in my very neutral house!) but loved the pattern and the gold in the wallpaper ( rather than for its energetic qualities!)

• Laura
    8 years ago
    I like a small bit of a darker shade of red (a cushion or a candle), but nothing more. Red red though I put in the same bracket as pink. I've never seen any decor in either colour that looks appealing to me. It's all down to person taste.
  • Marina
    8 years ago

Really not a favourite colour of mine and I´ve just bought a house with red work top in the kitchen, which is open plan to the lounge. I´m hoping when the walls and baseboard are painted it will lokk better. We will change it when we can afford to, but will need to live with it for a couple of years.

• eehchristie
    8 years ago

Soft grey for your walls and baseboard could calm it down a lot. That's a shame someone made such a worktop choice. I'm sure I have seen a worktop revamp product which is a 3 or 4 mm professionally glued on new top surface. Looks like the work tops are good quality in themselves, but just too much in your face. Wishing you many happy years in your new home.

• Pauline Giroux
    8 years ago
    I adore red, it's my favourite colour by far and is all over my wardrobe. I even have red glasses, it's kind of a signature thing of mine.
    When my partner and I recently bought our first flat we had to redecorate it all very quickly and went with quite neutral shades throughout: oak wood, white, black and grey. We then added touches of red in kitchen accessories, curtains, cushions and finally red carpet in the corridor, staircase and landing to tie it altogether. The only rooms which have no red are our 2 bathrooms as I like them better crisp and neutral.
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    I do like red, I had a gorgeous dark Crimson on the walls in the living room of our old house and even more gorgeous dark red silk curtains, it was so cosy and looked fab at Christmas. I did have a red dining room in my current house but now only have a few splashes in the kitchen, it's a nice pop of colour against the French gray.
  • PRO
    Malcolm Duffin Design
    8 years ago

I think you guys have it all covered and brilliant insights into decorating with reds, I love sharing these forums and feel inspired too ! here is my last red interior which I decorated several years ago for client , Its quite a nice room ?

would love your feedback Houzzers!

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    It's a room my husband would kill for Malcolm.
  • PRO
    creativeorg
    8 years ago
    If used subtly it can be a fabulous accent colour!
  • Ruth Payot
    8 years ago
    yes I like the austere combination
  • User
    8 years ago
    How could anyone not love red......unless it's that dark rose maroon, in that case it's funerals!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.