Houzz Logo Print
p4mla

Want to paint staircase, advice needed

10 years ago

Hi, I have a varnished wooden staircase over 3 floors, lots of spindles! but I would love to make them white, we were advised by a painter it would take a lot of prep work and would still chip easily ( we have two kids) I have been looking online and can see people have done it but with conflicting info on what to prep with etc and how big a job this might be.

i have come across people suggesting Zinsser bin primer as it can go on over varnish with no need to prep, 2 coats and then apply the topcoat and I was ready to rush out and buy it all, but just came across a website forum that painters have said that this is rubbish and setting up for disaster as had happened with a painter having to go back to a job and strip back and redo..... I thought I had found a shortcut....has anyone done a staircase themselves and if so how?

Comments (17)