Houzz Logo Print
tommyflan

POLL: Candles - scented or unscented?

10 years ago

Winter provides the perfect setting for lighting a candle and creating that much sought-after cosy atmosphere.

But when it comes to lighting a candle, do you prefer them scented or unscented?

Vote below and leave us a comment with your favourites!

My white Scandinavian home. Splash of colors. Old & new. Always in change. · More Info

Scented!
Unscented!
I don't like candles...

Comments (48)

  • 10 years ago
    unscented, as I enjoy the smell of the wax itself
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I find it helps create an ambiance in the room!

  • Related Discussions

    POLL: Candle-light: Day-to-day lighting or romantic occasion only?

    Q

    Comments (15)
    Candles seem to have a calming effect on people. I prefer unscented candles, as scented candles can overwhelm a small space, especially a table designated for eating. But even in the daylight, candles emit something that says "this is a very special moment, relax and enjoy yourself!"
    ...See More

    POLL: Do you change your home according to the seasons?

    Q

    Comments (44)
    Yes, absolutely. It's great to add small changes in your home, even if it is changing the flowers in the room to daffodils for the spring time or putting a pop of colour with cushions for the sofa, a small change can make the difference in any room. Decorating for the seasonal festive i.e. Halloween or Christmas is also a big part of showing your unique style in how you decorate.
    ...See More

    Bathroom Fragrance - what scent is best?

    Q

    Comments (2)
    Quick poll round the showroom and warm, spiced scent won the day. Could just be a seasonal thing though
    ...See More

    POLL: How often do you light candles?

    Q

    Comments (14)
    I think its really important to use a natural candle, scented or non scented, and not overloaded with scent either. The non natural ones are loaded with nasties!! you only have to see how they blacked the container, also not a good idea to use them when having a bath, the steam traps all the smoke under it so really you are breathing it in. Natural is really the clever choice, and they are not as expensive as you think, plus Soya wax burns slower :)
    ...See More
  • 10 years ago

    Definitely scented.

  • 10 years ago

    I think it's kinda nice to have a mixture...it can stop the risk of unpleasant scent combinations in one room!

  • 10 years ago
    Scented but only from a good natural brand like Neom.
  • 10 years ago

    Both......Scented - small Yankee candles are ideal, they create pockets of 'welcome' without being too overpowering (think hallways or large rooms) and unscented for the flickering glow. Always out of reach from kids, and not near curtains etc! Here's how I use them:


  • 10 years ago

    Unscented. For fragrance I use good old essential oils.

  • 10 years ago

    that's a good idea, Angelina. How do you use them? Most candles have artificial smells, although i absolutely love Yankee candles, some of them can be too overpowering.

  • 10 years ago

    hutchsl you can add a couple of drops to the candle as the wax starts to melt. Essential oils are flammable so do not get it on the flame.

    I prefer to use an oil burner. Make sure it is either glass or glazed for easier cleaning and so the oils don't penetrate the burner. Water in the top, 5-6 drops of oil and a small candle underneath.

    Lemongrass is great for the kitchen. Lavender in the bedroom - add eucalyptus if you have a stuffy nose and a drop or two of tea tree oil.

    I find it more economical too.

  • 10 years ago

    Unscented or naturally fragranced. Synthetic fragrances are toxic and allergenic, as they interfere with the hormone system in the body. My father has developed a severe allergy to synthethic fragrances which is highly debilitating and results in avoidance of social settings and environments which he cannot control. Naturally fragranced candles are expensive in the shops, but super easy to make at home.

  • 10 years ago

    Thanks for the tips, Angelina!

  • 10 years ago

    scented,ecoya vanilla every time


  • 10 years ago

    Scented, but only quality candles i.e. Jo Malone. No scented candles when dining though!

  • 10 years ago

    How do you make scented candles at home?


  • PRO
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    scented ones make me sneeze!

  • 10 years ago

    Scented candles make an atmosphere.


  • 10 years ago
    unscented and pure white,don't like the yellowish ones,like you see in a church.
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love the smell of vanilla so I'd definitely choose sented!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    They seem to be nicer .

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I like unsented candles best

  • 10 years ago

    Scented but only very good brands like Jo Malone or Dipthique, or Max Benjamin. Yankee candles are very overpowering but good to get rid of kitchen smells, personally though I don't like them.

  • 10 years ago

    Not a fan of candles in any form. The flickering light triggers migraines, hate the sooty streaks they can leave, and most scented ones smell synthetic and overpowering (which also triggers migraines...)

  • 10 years ago

    Yankee candles the softer smells using Season of peace at the moment

  • 10 years ago
    Scented candles or pure bees wax candles which smell divine!
  • 10 years ago

    Scented candles can contribute to the toxic air in our houses. Look at episode 2 of Trust Me I'm A Doctor, BBC , Jan 2016. Air tested in homes where lots of candles were burned contained formaldehyde, which is carcinogenic. I use a diffuser with pure essential oils for fragrance, it's safer too, and for ambiance have discovered led wax candles look convincingly real in alcoves and fireplace.

  • 10 years ago
    also watched the episode of trust me I'm a doctor... don't chuck out all your candles just yet. look out for limonene in the fragrance list. it's reactive in air, and becomes formaldehyde. it is in lots of frangranced products used around the home, but can be off set by having a few house plants,opening a window briefly everyday and going natural with your products.
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    My partner really won't let me burn ANY candles, ever since he met a man who lost his entire family in a house fire, set off by candles.

    Has anyone any good links or contacts for good quality looking LED candles; which are so common in cafes and restaurants now, that I can order on-line.

  • 10 years ago
    A lot of scented candles contain chemicals & formaldehyde, not good for anyone.
  • 10 years ago
    Logs and more logs nice basket at the side
  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    I voted for scented and having tried more than my fair few I can honestly say the best I have used has (to date!) been Nina Ricci. My current candle is in a very heavy and decorative green plant pot shaped container and it has bunt superbly well, scented the room strongly and has lasted what feels like forever. I am "patiently" waiting for it to burn away so I can purchase another and try different scent.

  • 10 years ago

    Scented-but not vanilla, I always find that really overpowering and sickly. My favourites at the moment are Woodwick candles in woodsmoke or fireside. Both are natural scents and very realistic.

  • 10 years ago

    I agree with the warnings above, from "Trust Me," how formaldehide can be created by limonene in scented products that we spray/burn at home. Also, if you use scented candles, and have guests, they may feel quite ill if it's not "their" fragrance!

  • 10 years ago

    Difficult to understand why anyone wants to risk burning their dwelling down as a consequence of using a scented candle

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I voted scented, the reason being i have used luxury scented candles for many years i.e. Jo Malone, Acqua di palma etc. i love scented candles and the atmosphere they produce so much i have started my own business making them and bettered the fragrances of the brands i used to buy. take a look in the product section

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    We at Parable offer both scented and unscented candles as we realise our customers like to have the choice. Because our candles are visually beautiful, they are sometimes used as decorative accessories so a fragrance isn't always necessary anyway. However, we offer a range of gorgeous fragrances for those that choose to burn them but even if our scented candles are not lit, we're told by customers that the scent is still obvious in the room. I do personally like a fragranced candle though.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    My vote is for the scented candles and haven't tried them out yet but I quite like the look and descriptions of the ones made by Whax Candles :-)

  • 10 years ago

    The problem with scented candles is that recent research from York uni has discovered that the limonene in many scented candles when burned reacts with the air in our houses and forms formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. I prefer to use a diffuser with essential oils which uses a vibrating plate to disperse the pure, organic essentials oils into the air a vapour, with no heat.

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    With reference to limonene in scented candles (TV programme, 'Trust Me, I'm a Doctor'), there is a very interesting article that you can read here.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    We find our customers prefer scented candles. This is our most popular scent.

    Bath and Body · More Info

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Having read more comments on this subject, I'd like to say again that we do offer both scented and unscented candles as it is definitely a personal choice. Our customers say our fragrances are lovely and subtle and because we use a rapeseed wax on our smaller candles, this has a lovely gentle smell of its own. Also, because our candles are visually beautiful, a fragrance is not always the first thing on our customers' minds. Visit us at http://www.parabledesigns.co.uk

  • 10 years ago
    I have found that more and more people are allergic to scented ones and ask me nicely to put them out. Same with plug in air freshening thingies.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Un scented as I am one that has allergies!

  • 10 years ago

    Unscented in the dining room and scented in cloakrooms.

  • 10 years ago
    Scented in living and sleeping areas but unscented anywhere near food. Neom have lovely scented candles of amazing quality, but a lot more affordable is the Yorkshire Soap Company. For unscented, beeswax candles are my favourite albeit they do have a beeswax scent!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    We love scented! Warm and welcoming for winter, and fresh and fruity for summer! We love Cranberry & Ginger for this time of year... the perfect scent to lead into the festive season.

  • 9 years ago
    I love scenting my home but never with candles. Essential oils are actually much better at lasting scent anyway. I also shy away from anything but beeswax candles and I'm not a massive fan of the smell of those (like honey but not quite as nice to me). I have several LED candles but I put them in lanterns and tea light holders to slightly disguise that they're not real. It's convincing! Dancing flame effect ones are the best.