Fab Dated staircase - keep or replace?
10 years ago
Other (please comment below)
Love the treads but replace the hand rails
Stairs are fab - keep them
Stairs are bad - replace them
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Stairs dilemma
Comments (28)I painted the stairs all the way across as it was just as quick as trying to paint just the edges. I had intended to add a runner but liked the look so much I haven't done. The bottom two stairs are curved and I couldn't work out how the runner would sit over them. I used floor paint but it does need repainting every year or two, so it's not the most practical solution....See MoreHelp with dated staircase
Comments (10)I'd just paint the newel posts white. You could paint the top of the post and handrail in a light-mid neutral if wanted (as shown in the pic but with wood!) or just do the whole lot white. I might consider putting in spindles at the bottom as I assume your front door is a few feet away? I have the same issue with my staircase which has been altered, different period and it has spindles, but you step through the front door and after a few feet you encounter a "solid barrier" to the hall which is the bottom of the stairs!...See MoreHuge living room, very dated!
Comments (18)Personally I don't think you need to extend to make the kitchen or bathroom bigger. However there are a few jobs that I would prioritise to sell it. Decorate everywhere, get rid of gloss on ceilings, add quality, substantial coving to the main reception room. I would also consider if the "mahogany" skirting board and doors are high enough quality to keep- they may be better painted. Personally I would spend the most time remodelling the kitchen. I suspect if you reduced the number of doors and windows you could refit it and make it seem bigger without extending. I think that the family bathroom is plenty big enough but the corner bath is a dated choice. An inexpensive white replacement suite could do wonders for selling. Flooring- I think you are right to consider carpet. For selling this may well be the fastest most inexpensive flooring choice. Curtains- personally I think the pole position dates the decor. I think the windows need wider poles positioned higher. Since you are going to be buying some stuff for this house have you considered employing a designer as they can help coordinate the look and have trade discounts that may well go a long way to offset their fee. So best of luck- it looks like a fab house...See MoreCan you date my table?
Comments (42)Love it, it looks great :) That was a valspar paint wasn't it on the walls? That's the 2nd time today I've thought, hmm, maybe I should have shopped around a bit before paint a room F&B setting plaster! From memory you were looking at the Cole and son circus wallpaper, not sure of its proper name? The table and chairs look fab, you can see a fair bit of the coral legs. The wood has come up brilliantly. I think I remember a Victorian table before. I actually really like the floor as is.. I'm just trying to think back to your original inspiration pic as I probably won't find it again. Were you looking for the same effect but in Lino? I'm with you re spices and oil cabinets. The only thing I'd say is I think spices are meant to be stored in a cool place so may be better off in the larder....See More- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago


Amber Jeavons