alison_williams1572

Need to update

ChloeM
11 years ago
Would like light and fresh colours, was thinking of pale yellow but might look outdated. Didn't want to paint wood white but struggling to see colours to tone with it. Planning to change carpet to neutral / beige...

Comments (54)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Ahh, see how great that table is? I'd clear it for one strong choice -- fabulous floral arrangement of three types of flower or less, an antique clock, or something sculptural. Walls I'd make closer to neutral than you currently have, whether it's a gingery soft yellow, grey, or camel, maybe. (Cursor over photo to see all.)
  • User
    11 years ago
    You might test Benjamin Moore's Calming Cream. It's an off white that looks a subtle yellow but changes with light so it never looks dated. Has an undertone that works well with wood tones and tan/camel carpets. When set off by white trim (try Swiss Coffee) its a classic. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/calmingcream.
  • Related Discussions

Need help updating my downstairs loo/cloakroom

Q

Comments (11)
    Paint the doors, change to bifold doors, etc. Coat rack IN closet not next to toilet. Paint a lovely color on toilet wall and white toilet lid. Cheap wine rack with rolled towels where coat rack is now. Artwork or shelf with pretty things above toilet. Mirror above wood mantel above sink. Could use railroad nails or something into the wood that looks industrial to hold hand towel or shelf?
    ...See More

Need help updating wooden beds

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm also decorating our bedroom along British Colonial lines (as much as I can without the tropical climate anyway!) I'm going to have blue accessories along with the white. This was traditional along with the botanical elements as the blue and white oriental china was really popular back then. For inspiration on Houzz, you can type in "Plantation Style" which has a lot of similar elements. "Campaign Furniture" would be another search to try. Also, Laura Ashley Balmoral furniture in Chestnut has the right elements (dark wood with antique brass corners and drawer pulls). Photo below shows bed similar to yours.
    ...See More

Need advice updating my 1930's hall and landing

Q

Comments (3)
    You have some great features there. I love the bullseye architrave and panelled doors. One of my favourite hall transformations on Houzz was this one: [From dodgy pink to elegant grey[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/from-dodgey-pink-to-elegant-greys-dsvw-vd~2942113) If I was lucky enough to have a hallway like yours, I'd be getting a skip for the dado rail and wallpaper (as already suggested). The dark brown carpet would also go in. I'd then be wanting to use white emulsion on the doors and walls. To add some interest, how about creating a feature using either a coloured chandelier or mirror? How about a stripe carpet going up the stairs?
    ...See More

Ideas Needed to Update 60s Front!

Q

Comments (0)
    Thoughts on how to bring this 60s front up to date? Paint cladding or get rid? Porch added? Exterior walls need new render so we’d like to take the opportunity to do all works. Help please!
    ...See More
  • julielen
    11 years ago
    i've always wanted black and white stairs. Can't say I like the purple walls in the one picture at all, but a grey or beige or off-white would work for me

[houzz=
    Stewart St. entry · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    classic stairs with panelling · More Info
    ]
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you - I had always thought of grey as dull, but it looks fantastic in the pictures you've posted, and timeless. I have always loved stair carpets fitted using stairrods - will have to see what condiion the wood is in :)
  • PRO
    Marie Flanigan Interiors
    11 years ago
    A very muted yellow might look cheerful! Especially since the wood has warm tones in it!
  • julielen
    11 years ago
    just a thought... I recently took out stair carpet rods (they were old and ugly and runner had to go anyway). But for the length of time I was living with them - they really collect dust and grime and dirt. They were a magnet for pet hair and dust bunnies. This is our only stair case and we go up and down a lot. Regular vacuuming with an attachment didn't get some stuff out from behind them.

I"m waiting to refinish my stairs, but if I do go with a runner again, I'll pass on the rods.
  • cheryldalluhn
    11 years ago
    There may not be wood under your carpet like the other photos show so wait to pick out paint until you find carpet you like, in my opinion I would not paint the wood on stairs unless you are going to do all the trim everywhere else. a grey with a bit of a blue hue would look very fresh !
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    julielen good point about the rods -- I photoshopped in the best example of a sisal staircase I could find to go with Chloe's table and it happened to have them, but doesn't need to. And the treads wouldn't have to be white either if there's nice wood under there.
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all your input - have loads to think about now. Have seen some lovely striped carpets - was thinking I could maybe bring in blue and dark brown, with pale blue/grey walls?
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    Not sure I love it with the table, but perhaps I'm obsessing on making it the star and everything else the backdrop. Maybe give the table a new home (mine!) in another room (mine!) and then work from the colors in this carpet if it's what you like. They're not completely mutually exclusive if you want a sort of Newport look (RI, CA, wherever...) but will be a little tricky to sell as a pair...

...well okay, you challenged me to see how it would look, and now I'm sold!
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    :) Was having a rethink when I saw your comment earlier but I do love that seaside-y look... Thank you for making the image come alive - I am no good with computers!
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    Commenting so I can follow. :-)
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    I think just to start with this space I would prep the room for paint. You really just have to go to a really nice cream or white just to fresh it up. It seems a little dark. I love the flooring though!!! I would also look at replacing your interior doors and an idea would be to restain your skirting trim to tie in with the wooden floor. That would be my starting point. Then I would reassess where you are at - then tackle the stair case. I would also take away your runners and put one rug at the bottom. Do you like having pictures in the house? because I think a gallery wall down the stair area would be fun rather than down the hall way.
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    If you want to update definitely change the shade on your lamp to a drum shade or a simple flair shade without the fringe as this dates your room.
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Great point cc - I always get carried away with the finished look and don't pay enough attention to detail as I go along. The lamp shade will have to go - any ideas along the Newport theme?
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    (I believe somewhere there's a photo of me in Newport wearing a lamp shade...)
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    Hysterical Barnhart galleries! We all need to look on the light side
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    The light side -- as in a lamp?
  • PRO
    Debra Gunstanson
    11 years ago
    You can't go wrong with grey even wainscoting top dark and bottom a tad lighter ?????
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    I meant the light side of life...a lame attempt at a pun
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    11 years ago
    I know, ditto! :)
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    So give me 12hrs and I had to come back and post.... this is really what I have in mind.. keeping the concept of your timber and really lightening it up. So if you can envision something like this with the timber you have... It could be a way to go. But I'm still with my idea of replacing doors, paint job and restaining your skirting... I would love to see what's under the carpet... Is it concrete or timber?
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    and can we just take note of this cute little ledge... the concept I adore to go in the hallway. could go over that heating vent you have there...
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    cc - I love the ledge - would camouflage ugly radiator perfectly :) Won't get back to the house for 2 weeks - now I have so many ideas I'm really frustrated! Will let u know what lurks under the carpet as soon as I get the chance - do you think I should stain wood trims and new doors lighter or just go for white?

Gallery walls - should pics have same frames or a mixture of texture and colour? Thinking uniform may suit this hallway best?
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    I would paint them, Chloe. Since the hall is so narrow I would frame & mat the same.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    Look... In all honestly my personal opinion is paint them. I actually really dislike 60s brown. That's why I mentioned restaining, but lets be practical... That's a whole lot of work to restain but the time and effort could be worth it.

About the gallery wall. I think two rows of frames - like the picture I posted with the ledge would suit quite nicely. To be honest in all the design magazines I've been reading lately. I haven't seen a single mismatched framed gallery wall. To me that means I'm safe to say that mismatched isn't the way to go. The illusion of the frames evenly spaced and in line will make the hallway longer. I'm trying to find you a nice rug online and a concept for the entry where your table is now and the next bit we have to look at is lighting.

Do you think you could describe what it looks like if you were down the hallway looking at the front door? Or if you have a picture?
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    What about painting your walls Farrow & Ball Matchstick & trim in White Tie ( said you wanted a light yellow originally). If you don't have a Farrow & Ball you can order their color guide & have it matched. Their colors are timeless & that would really lighten up the hallway w/out looking fuddy-duddy. Not to mention your crouch mahogany popping off of it!
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-woven-Country-Living-Reversible-Tan-Braided-Rug-23-x-12/5756935/product.html This is a braided rug but the colors & stripes are very "Newport" & it would look great with sisal.
  • Lkristine
    11 years ago
    These possibilities are to identify with the character of your home.......Replace your lamp shade, not the base, and then find some dark bronze ribbon to wrap around the bottom/and or/ top of the shade. (this keeps your lamp base for personality, character and choice. ) http://www.lampsplus.com/products/white-horizontal-pleat-lamp-shade-15x16x11-spider__20281.html You may want to consider replacing your flush mount lighting with something like this as well, http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-5-light-Antique-Bronze-White-Shade-Flush-Mount-Chandelier/5152198/product.html You could paint your walls something similar to BM sombrero, and the ceilings, a slightly diluted version of this paint to tie everything together. I would absolutely NOT do any rug with stripes running vertically in this space. Horizontal stripes and balance of style will widen the room visually and adapt to what you might like. Example rug that can be purchased in a runner, http://www.wayfair.com/Bashian-Rugs-Verona-Floral-Sediments-Aqua-Rug-R130-AQ-LC127-QKD2524.html Then find an oval shaped mirror that combines everything to hang on the main wall of the vertical walkway. Example, http://www.wayfair.com/Cal-Lighting-Sartene-Oval-Polyurethane-Frame-Mirror-with-Beveled-Glass-in-Argent-WA-2151MIR-CG1644.html
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    cc - thank you again for your advice. The frony door is white pvc with glass panels to either side, there is about 1m beyond the table you see in the picture. I was sold on grey blue but am now having doubts - thank you Valvorie for reminding me where I started out! Matchstick is a great colour, my only reservation is that so many homes over here are magnolia from top to bottom - I would like something fresh, a little different. But still hanker for warm and inviting... Lkristine - I love your ideas and vertical stripes would make the space look very narrow. I guess I was relying on the carpet being a feature as I don't have a large space to work with. Barnhart Gallery suggested early on that I make the table the main feature - now searching for something stunning to place on it. I'd love to think I would always have a beautiful fresh floral arrangement but it's not going to happen!!! I love the rug and mirror - so much to think about....
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    Just wondering . Is there any room to the right? Could work shifting your table if you said you wanted your staircase to be the highlight..
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    There isn't but I'm not sure that I want to put a feature carpet on the stairs anymore - I'm too cowardly for big patterns and as Lkristine pointed out vertical stripes may make space look too narrow... Have been researching my picture frames - hoping to print a series of family photos in black and white for them :) - cannot wait to get back into the house and do something a bit more practical though!
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    Hoping to hear an update soon :)
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Pale yellow isn't a good colour for your hardwood floors.

White with a touch of yellow or green/gray undertone is always a nice compliment to your light hardwood floors.

I'd add wainscotting (or applique) to your hallways and stairwell to lighten and brighten.
    the problem with them currently is there is too much of your accent blue tone. By adding wainscotting you'll raise the feeling of elegance in your home while lightening and brightening.
  • aniluap2
    11 years ago
    If you just paint your wood trim white you'll get the same brighter effect.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    11 years ago
    Any update? I'm so keen to see how this turns out!
  • Charis Elizabeth
    10 years ago
    Just checking to see if there is any progress :)
    ChloeM thanked Charis Elizabeth
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    so sorry - this is a recent house purchase and have been sidetracked by kitchen / plumbing issues. Have painted all the woodwork white and a pale blue on walls. It has really brought so much light into the hall. New carpet hopefully will be in next week - pics to follow :)
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ps replaced doors as well, be gone brown!
  • Charis Elizabeth
    10 years ago
    Oh that sounds awesome!!!! How exciting! Can't wait to see pics!
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the story so far... apologies for lack of update - the whole house is a project, have been sidetracked!
  • Suzi Dunn
    10 years ago
    It is looking wonderful.
    ChloeM thanked Suzi Dunn
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Olympic paint - Willow green.. lovely light pistachio that is not as trendy as brighter greens. Also, don't forget you can paint the ceilings. I have a golden wax rubbed living room and the ceiling is a warm light cinnamon color.
  • Charis Elizabeth
    10 years ago
    Ahh what an improvement! Looking good!!
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you - the table may be relocated (sadly still in my house Barnhart Gallery ;)...) as I have got used to the extra space in the hallway - am trying to find a slim table to suit, and some frames for a gallery wall running up the stairs...
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    You may find a slim white parsons table and white frames from Ikea. Glad you'll be keeping that beautiful table.
    ChloeM thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • User
    10 years ago
    Looks great!!! The extra space is a bonus, do you need a table?
    ChloeM thanked User
  • PRO
    hurst visual solutions
    10 years ago
    Tossing in some Feng Shui - the heavy table at the bottom of the stairs did block the "flow" of the stairs in a manner of blocking positive energy as it moves through the house.. . How much neater and bright you've made it! My only suggestion is to lower the art on your wall to eye level and not have it so high, and look a bit lonely. ;-( I can't tell much from this photo as it's a close up and leaves out the space where you had the table. Overall you've done a good job with that dark space and so fresh looking - and you DID end up painting your wood on the stairs.. That did wonders. Maybe on the wall with the photos, add more and maybe a small mirror or two much like the photo at the top. One way to do this is to measure out the space you want to use on the wall and tape off some floor space or rug space with blue tape. Then, lay out some framed pieces and you can mix and match until you get what you like. Saves lots of holes in the wall.. You can definitely pick up small mirrors for next to nothing and maybe use family photos mixed with other prints. The wall just looks a bit bare. That's my only last bit of suggestion, and may add some color and bling to that wall. Again, good job!!
    ChloeM thanked hurst visual solutions
  • ChloeM
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Margaret B - no I don't need a table, it will collect clutter! I'd like something along left wall though - I'm worried that pics alone may be a bit one dimensional. Hi Hurst visual solutions - thank you for idea about using tape, the walls are really tricky to hammer into so I will have enough problems once I've placed pictures without deciding to move them! I still love cc's idea of a shelf over the radiator to add some more interest, I'll have to find objects / frames that will bounce though as my kids are forever running up and down the hall ;)
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.