lynnbryson1664

Leaking shower disaster -help

lynnbryson1664
7 years ago
We are currently having an extension built and fairly major renovations to the rest of the house. We decided to get the bathroom done, we had an over batch shower which had a tendency to leak no matter how much sealant was used. The builder said no bother, buy what you want and we will fit it. I'm guessing this is mistake number one. We purchased a low profile slate tray and a sliding door. The plan to have an alcove shower built which would minimise leaks. Both were 1200mm. I had some issues as the builder kept ignoring me when I said the door had to sit on a lip of6mm wide, as per manual. He said don't worry once the floor is in place it will be built up to 6mm. The shower door had a tolerance of 20mm width wise, however before the door was fitted I realised they hadn't allowed for the tile depth and they had to move the wall. This meant the tiles were not touching the tray for 1/2 a wall. Since day of installation it has leaked. The builder is saying it's because we bought the wrong size door with not enough tolerance, so they couldn't tile down to the tray. He also said the lip was an issue. I appreciate the combination might not be right but I'm not a builder and would have expected to be told it was an issue before installation. They have tried many layers of sealant, however no joy. Came back today to have no shower door and lip removed. Ceiling partially down in kitchen. Any ideas how to solve this? I have a £300 shower door which I'm being told is useless and a gap between the shower tray and the hallway you could fit a finger through. Don't want to be fobbed off but want it resolved. 6 weeks in I just want a working shower! Pictures aren't very clear, 1st one is where the lip was removed. 2nd trying to show gap.
We have another month of the build to go , so also don't want to fall out with builders.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.