Houzz Logo Print
loblattner

Interior Design App - Recommendations?

10 years ago

Hi,

I've just started using SketchUp after trialling various other design apps beforehand - hoping that this one would let me integrate specific pieces of furniture or soft furnishings (by model/brand). Sadly that's not possible so I'm back looking for an app that lets me do that. Anyone know of a good one?

I'm looking to create visuals and combine furniture I own with new pieces before I buy them.

Thanks very much!

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi Lo,

    Sketchup has something called the 3D Warehouse which has loads of pre-made items by manufacturers. You might not find the exact piece but you could find one similar and alter the colours & size (by stretches or scaling). That is what I do to initially set up a simple scheme. If you have the time you could ask the manufacturer to build it (they will just outsource it) or ask someone on Fiver to do it for you.

    I always use a mixture of programs. I have recently found one for testing lighting from Philips which was great so using just one program could be limiting (even if I render images, Il always build the model in a 3D program, then export it to a render program, then do final touches in photoshop and then present it in another program).

    Don't forget that the colours on your screen can look different to real life. I use MAC computers with photoshop to ensure my digital work is displaying the correct colours (but again these can change depending on how you print). I think Sketchup is really fast, free and simple to use, so I wouldn't give up on it that easily. I know how to use almost every CAD and 3D program in my industry and I still love Sketchup for its speed and flexibility.

    If you aren't too fussy about it being in 3d I find Polyvore useful for exact pieces.

    I hope this helped you.

    Jo x

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Here is one I did for a yoga studio, a while back and I wanted to use the exact hanging lights, which weren't modelled. I just imported them as a flat image instead (and cut around them). I could have also found a similar object from the 3D warehouse and manipulated it to suit and help me visualise.

    Good luck Lo!


  • Related Discussions

    App / website recommendations please

    Q

    Comments (2)
    I came across this blog post recently which has a good list of handy design helpers and how to use them. 5 Amazing tools and apps for interior design inspiration If you're looking for something to help with technical drawing try downloading a copy of Sketch Up.
    ...See More

    Floor Plan Creator Apps/Sites Recommendations

    Q

    Comments (5)
    I use HouseDesign which is a Free App on my phone. You could also use the more sophisticated RoomPlanner that has a subscription. Alternatively employ a designer or concept planner to envisage several layouts more cost effectively than using your architect. You could also post the entire plan on Houzz for creative input from the community. Personally when I look at the plan I think that the space is made narrower by the two sets of stairs and the original stairs obscure flow from the front to back. Perhaps having one set of stairs in the centre of the house creates problems upstairs but I would be considering it as it might mean you can build less square footage and make a cost saving. Additionally the largest reception room seems to be on the lower level with borrowed light and in my opinion perhaps less frequently used rooms should be there with the living room further up the house.
    ...See More

    Garden Design App

    Q

    Comments (0)
    Please can anybody recommend a good app to use for garden design. Many thanks
    ...See More

    Garden Design App

    Q

    Comments (0)
    Please can anybody recommend a good app for garden design. Many thanks Lisa
    ...See More
  • 10 years ago

    Thank you so much, Jo! That is great advice, really appreciate it. I have only just started teaching myself how to use SketchUp a week ago, so I'm still very slow - and incredibly determined which is a dangerous combination as I get caught up working on it for 8 hours straight until 3am (when I don't see clearly anymore). I have used the 3D Warehouse and figured out how to change colours of an item but somehow managed to ungroup all elements of a sofa which means alternations were only applied to one cushion rather than the whole thing.. I think a pro would have a giggle watching me rant at my laptop.

    I'll take your advice and keep practising. Maybe I just need to stick to shorter sessions and be a little more patient. (Good call on Polyvore, that's a brand I hadn't looked up yet in the Warehouse)

    Thank you! x

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Reminds me of my uni days, have fun! A quick tip is double clicking repeatedly gets you into groups, so if you double click then double click again you keep going deeper into the group. If you want to regroup, just right click when everything is selected (keep double clicking) and then group it again. Always keep as many groups as possible or else it will be a big mess ;-) (and look up a tutorial on layers and how helpful they can be!)

  • 10 years ago

    Ahhh, now that makes sense. There was certainly a whole lot of erratic clicking going on at that point. I just didn't know how to regroup - thanks, Jo! Been following SketchUp's basic tutorials step by step but will have to find more specific ones as you say.

    You should teach, offer online courses...I'd book one ; )

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I never thought about teaching Sketchup, but thanks for the idea ;-) I teach interiors and other stuff on my blog, so I might do some tutorials on sketchup for you ;-)

  • 10 years ago

    Hahah I guess that would be very niche. But I have just signed up to your blog and already having a lot of fun reading through your posts. I love how useful and down to earth your advice is. Great work!

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Thank you Lo that is a such a huge compliment ;-) let me know what you woudl like to learn about and Il write a post for you in the next few weeks x


  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Oh you're too sweet! I've been thinking about my biggest challenges so I could pick one. A lot of them were actually practical or build related things - stuff that I didn't consider or couldn't foresee during my renovation and that I will do differently next time. What I'm finding surprisingly challenging now that I'm furnishing my home is: balance of colours and materials. I've been obsessing over interiors for as long as I can remember, and in my head I knew exactly what I wanted my home to look like. There is not one item of furniture that I purchased in a haphazard manner, I thought about function and style, I considered how it would tie in with the rest of the room, I created visuals...and still, now that it's all there, carefully arranged, it doesn't look like I wanted it to. Colour is a big aspect of it: what is the right amount of colour to inject so it doesn't look bland but still coherent? I like bright and white so I stick to neutrals for permanent items and bring in colour with decorative items that don't cost the world and can be moved and played with (that's with the exception of a brown chesterfield sofa that I've had for years and can't part with, an a black fireplace that must have been tiled by a blind person). Same goes for materials - I guess with an all white backdrop you can introduce materials more generously (?) but there is probably still something like a healthy medium. Is it ok to mix brass, steel, glass, fur, linen, marble...or is there a magic number to stick to?

    I have attached a photo of the living room I'm working on, as an example. I'll either remove the rattan chair or cover it with a sheepskin, the grey sofa will be reupholstered in a lighter fabric and the art over the mantle will be replaced with a mirror or a more toned-down canvas. Maybe these changes will solve my problem. But bottom line is, I was going for an urban industrial look and now feel that the room has got a granny touch, it's too girly.

    Anyway, materials and colour. I bet you're sorry now that you asked ;)

    x

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    (PS image seems to only show fully once you click on it)

  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    YAY! I have so many things I can write about here Lo!! Your living room is gorgeous well done! I will do a post for you in the next week, can I use your image? The first question I have is what is the end result you were looking for. You said you were aiming for urban industrial. Do you still want that look and if so, describe urban industrial for me in your own words... Industrial is usually quite raw and this is looking very refined, so my first key would be how I can get a bit of raw into it...

  • 10 years ago

    Ha..yes, I have no idea how I got from 'industrial' to this! Even looking through my pins on Pinterest doesn't answer that question - it seems like I have grown away from industrial without realising it. So while I love industrial elements, probably best to scratch the term as an overall guide. If I had to sum up what I want the room to be it's sophisticated but inviting. And I want it to be gender neutral, if that makes sense. I like to mix feminine and masculine elements, elegance and a sense of humour. And yes please feel free to use the image, I'll drop you a message with a few more.