Parquet problem - help!
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
Parquet floor disaster? Help
Comments (166)Those are wise words Karen! am so glad it worked out for you. Love to see a photo, what colour or shade did you choose? Jools, The bitumen is a right pig, best way we found is to make it cold, so it becomes brittle, then you can scrape /chip it off. We used a window scraper, coarse wire wool and various sandpaper. We left the window open on a cold night, turned heating off in there, and you could try a cooler fan on it. Putting ice bags on it didn't work as well as we hoped. we used a round sander, but it can cause swirls, it's really awkward ! To be honest a few dips and scratches on an old floor are okay in the end, don't be too afraid of it, they are only pieces of wood stuck down on the floor, not bone china, as long as you try not to break them, or set fire to them, otherwise you can't possibly do more damage than I did, and they recovered!...See MoreReclaimed Parquet - Modern Kitchen, help !!!
Comments (39)Unless you've got hours of spare time, I would avoid reclaimed parquet. I've just spent untold hours cleaning up a mix of reclaimed parquet I had in the loft (hard bitumen) and recently lifted parquet (wet bitumen) from our old extension before it was demolished. Although you can get glues that work with bitumen, you still need to ensure the blocks are relatively flat and clean. Worst thing is, although it looked like I had more than enough, some of it was unusable due to damage, so I'm now 3-4 sq metres short, and it's proving impossible to find the correct size and wood type. I didn't have a choice as the whole ground floor is herringbone parquet, so had to match it up, otherwise I'd have gone for new, it's not much different in price to reclaimed, and you don't need to clean it or sand everything level....See Moreneed help with this design problem
Comments (3)Thank you for your comments. yes it's a living room in a house...See MoreNeed help in this space low ceiling light problem
Comments (7)Is it already built? Looks like a 3D render? If not already built then yes I would put some ceiling spotlights in. It looks like you have a narrow strip of flat ceiling (80cm)? if so I would put the spots there. Perhaps angleable spots on a track rather than recessed downlights as that gives you more options for where you point the lights. Then you will also want some lights in the low corners, I would put in plug sockets (perhaps 5amp ones wired to the light circuit) so you can have lamps in the low corners You might also want a wall light or two above the breakfast bar If it is already built it’s a very different kettle of fish and will depend on what is easiest to get wiring to. Might be the ceiling if you can access from the floor above, or the walls if not....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago





clairetaz09