How to clean smudges / marks off newly painted matt walls?
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (11)
Related Discussions
Should I paint my kitchen cabinets?
Comments (159)Hi there. Completely agree with everyone, you should paint the cupboards. I really like the colours in this picture as I think that the slightly 'greyer' off white cupboards would tie in well with your beautiful grey tiles. You wouldn't necessarily have to go so light on your worktop as in this picture. The laminate you showed in your third picture is really nice, where is it from? Currently doing my kitchen and trying to find a laminate that I like!...See MoreHow would you refurb this staircase?
Comments (52)Probably a bit late on updating this but I thought I'd lost some photos of the end results. I think pretty much everything has changed since those original photos. The staircase has been painted white. It took a few coats of Zinsser BIN and a few coats of acrylic primer undercoat, with sanding between coats. Gaps between the labelling were caulked and I fitted some trim over the rough sloping section before the top coats. The stringer was completely stripped and then filled as best we can - due to lead paint fears we couldn't just rub it all down. All woodwork was finished with Little Greene intelligent eggshell in Loft White. The walls are Little Greene Intellgent Emulsion in Slaked Lime. It's a very warm white/neutral. It looked plain white when it was first painted but the white skirting transformed it. It also wipes very nicely. We had the walls replastered before painting. The tiled floor in the hallway was ripped out. We now have decent quality laminate throughout the hall and living room. Quick Step Soft Oak Natural. Carpet was fitted and supplied by the same person who did the laminate flooring, a very good local fitter. We only recently got the stairs and landing carpeted as we were waiting for our other refurbishment projects to be finished. Before it was carpeted we also had a local carpenter repair the stairs which were very creaky and the wonder treads very loose. The underside was removed so it could be properly repaired underneath. I took the stupid box catch off the door which didn't work properly and fitted a nice handle and magnetic catches. We have new engineered oak internal doors downstairs which I bought online. All it really needs now is some finishing touches like some photos or pictures on the wall of the stairwell. I'm very happy with the end result....See MoreFrom where do you buy your paint?
Comments (54)Mylands. You always regret your economies. I've repainted this kitchen 4X over the years, and last time was in Dulux which wore so poorly. Just custom mixed a new vibrant duck egg to paint my kitchen in marble matt walls, eggshell woodwork, and floor paint. Mylands matched impeccably. It was a dream of coverage, and looks spectacular. The quality of the pigment shows, looks the money, nothing like synthetic mediocre pigments in cheaper paint. It's a big improvement....See MoreAny advice on white paint?
Comments (19)Hello Dee B, Whites can be wonderful and I rarely use Dulux but I do like their Jasmine white, it is warm and has a nice bright finish without being boring, slightly veering toward a creamy colour. Brilliant White I would not use ever whether the room has full sun or not. I think it leaves a cold starkness which white does not have to be about at all. My other favourites are of course The Little Greene Paint Company and they have a whole range of whites and shades thereof. Or neutrals. Whitening is also a lovely warm white, slaked lime which is slightly cooler and I tend to use shades in variations so it is not a complete paint in one colour alone scenario which I do find sensationally boring. Think of architectural features you want to pick out. You also want really chalky finishes which are deep and provide depth. LG provides that and their paints are wonderful. Personally I have and have used extensively the shades I mention in various sizes of rooms and in my living room which gets so much sun in summer and winter that I have to wear sunglasses. You can clearly see the differences between shades when you compare them throughout the day. The other thing of course is that you can be imaginative about your use of colour, so you permeate the palette throughout. Some testers on plain paper should help you decide what you like. Shades with some warm woods, ochre's, apricots or flooring such as blonde woods would compliment. Rugs and other natural woven materials, such as Coir, Jute or Sisal compliment and notice how the architectural details are picked out. The room is bright and very light but not all white. Then you can accent and punctuate with beautiful pieces to layer the room. AJ...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago

Daisy England