jam55king

Should I paint my kitchen cabinets?

jam55king
9 years ago
Hi, I have an 11 yo limed oak kitchen that I inherited when I moved in,I have painted the walls changed appliances etc but I'm not sure what to do about my cabinets.personally I'm thinking they've just dated a bit now, I can't afford a new kitchen so was thinking about painting them in a Farrow and Ball Eggshell Cream, what do you guys think? I could really use some advice to help me decide.

Comments (159)

• mumfie mumfie
    9 years ago
    It looks great, and thanks for all your tips and product recommendations, I'm using them to do mine. Well worth the effort!
  • Linda Morrell
    9 years ago
    It's been lovely to watch your progress and the end result is beautiful. I'm in the same situation as you were with oak doors which really have nothing wrong with them - I just want to brighten the kitchen. I am now inspired to follow suit !
  • Related Discussions

Should I paint the cabinets in the kitchen?

Q

Comments (4)
    Painting them white isn't going to make the space bigger and it won't make it much brighter either, because they are already a light colour. Unless you get these refinished professionally, I doubt that painting them yourself will be an improvement. Is this a dark room at night? If so, I'd try to bring in more lighting. Even just a wall sconce on the wall to the left of the window could add some light and interest here. This actually looks like a very pleasant space and I like how the wall has been used for pot-storage. A magnetic strip could be installed on the stove wall for knives and other accessories too. But to answer your question, no I do not recommend painting these cabinets.
    ...See More

Should I paint my kitchen island?

Q

Comments (15)
    Well I like the downpipe but I think the colour of the back units is throwing it out, these seem to be more creamy? What colour are they painted? Would you be willing to change them too? And could you take a photo in daylight of the worktop and downpipe with no units showing. Hope that’s not too many questions/requests!
    ...See More

What colour should I paint walls to match Howdens Cashmere Kitchen?

Q

Comments (46)
    Cashmere popular. Mine being fitted this week. I have chosen real wood worktop and upstand. Plain Glass splashback behind hob and oxide emerald green floor tiles. Just for something different. Walks mmm not sure……something muted. Small kitchen but bright! Ideas… don’t hate me re floor 😳
    ...See More

should I replace all or partly of my kitchen?

Q

Comments (11)
    Do I presume you currently have a 450mm wide dishwasher and you want to swap it for a 600 wide? Therefore there is already one in place? To keep costs down (and if this is the case) could you not remove the 450 wide dishwasher and a corresponding base unit, insert the new 600 dishwasher and a smaller base unit? Then swap any doors and worktops that would fall within your budget. Regarding the tower units they are not £3k to replace. I’m a kitchen estimator so I know. You could keep the carcases and the drawer boxes, therefore you only need to replace the fascias. The images you show of the Wren kitchen are readily available from 1000s of suppliers and a darn lot cheaper too. Reviews for Wren are dire and their prices are high.
    ...See More
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all your lovely comments it was hard work and they mean a lot
  • Ann Ellis
    9 years ago
    It has been lovely to see the project through. Well done, enjoy it.
  • Jo DP
    9 years ago
    Hurrah! love it & your super new kettle & toaster too. The wine rack is lovely & now you deserve to sit down & pour yourself a nice big glass.....
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Want to see your kitchen next Mumfie !!!! ;-)
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    I can't believe I didn't see this this morning!!! It looks AMAZING!!! Well done!! I absolutely love it!! I bet you're so pleased with the result and I bet you're so glad it's finished now!! Xx
  • Jayne McCairn
    9 years ago
    Wow!!!! It is absolutely stunning. You have done such an amazing job!! All that hard work has paid off. Your cooker even looks new!!

Congrats!
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    I want to watch the video on YouTube, what am I searching for? X
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    mwwwaaarr thanks soooo much yes we are chuffed with it, it was hard work yes but apart from a little light sanding it was actually very enjoyable , still have some snagging to do like mastic etc but it's a relief it's come out well, was a bit worried at the beginning , hopefully should do us at least 5 years before we have to change the entire kitchen . Hels TBH the Vid on YouTube isn't great I'm just now uploading one to Vimeo but there's all kinds of issues regarding copyright can you believe, I'll try an embed a link to that in here ASAP but if it won't let me do it again I'll email the link to you if you want,its basically the whole project beginning to end... Stand by and I'll let you know in a bit, ohhhh and yes Mumfie yours next :-)
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok not letting me put link in but if you go onto
    search for DIY kitchen project painted cabinets Essex you should find it , let me know X
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Watch this video on Vimeo:
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok think I cracked it lol try this
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Finally yes this one ⬆️⬆️⬆️ will connect sorry about that had privacy setting wrong oops anyway it drags on a bit but hey you wanted MORE
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    That amazing what a transformation it's made!! That's a lot nicer than a lot of the kitchens you can buy!! Your house (and garden look amazing btw) hopefully you will start another project soon coz if not what am I going to look forward to now?!?!
  • rizia forder
    9 years ago
    Hi I think you should paint it, you have a great space, big kitchen but in my view it need some updating. I would go to a colour like those shabby chic style. It looks cosy and clean at the same time. Good lucky !!!!!
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks riz but think u need to scroll ! Hels I know how you feel I've become attached myself I'll miss it, look out for 'Painted F&B kitchen SHOULD I STRIP IT DOWN!' Lol hopefully not too soon though! I've enjoyed this so much I'm gonna do the same with my lounge so keep em peeled X
  • rizia forder
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hahah true lol I was telling you to paint when you already had painted it, it looks amazing, love it !!!!
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    Do it!! I wanna see pics along the way too! X
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I should just mention that the £800 budget this project cost me included my utility room, the cupboards alone were £350 so the kitchen actually only cost around £350 so a smaller kitchen would be much less. Thought I'd just say xx
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    Out of interest where did you get the work tops from so cheaply?! X
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Hels they came from www.worktopsexpress.com they do lots of different ones , contact was good , delivery was good and the worktops are excellent (especially with Osmo
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Howdens and benchmark quoted £350 for 3metre lengths W/express were £150 , they even cut the Undermounted sink hole and drainer grooves for £60 my carpenter wanted £250 xx
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    Thank you xx
  • Brett Clark
    9 years ago
    I brought a 18 year old static caravan, I assume I painted the original cupboard. Point is I love them now!
  • polly46
    9 years ago
    I like the wood as it is.
  • Helen Jones
    9 years ago
    Have you started on your lounge furniture yet?! X
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Funny you should say that posting for suggestions now, won't be a quick project though run out of money
  • mumfie mumfie
    9 years ago
    Hello, going to try to add some photos from my makeover. We painted the units, added oak worktops and new sink and re configured the layout to make it more user friendly and ultimately add a table and chairs. We also opened up a family area that's next to the kitchen (but no photo's of that as it's not finished!) Thanks to Oneplan for the new layout - it really works!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    9 years ago
    Awesome !!!! :-) I do like happy clients !!!
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    Jam55 - did you use rollers or brushes - or both? Any difference in finish between them - any visible brush marks etc? I'm getting it in the neck from friends/family that I'll end up with an amateurish job if I do it myself. Yours looks fab so I hold onto my own hope!
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    Oooohh - and were brushes/rollers natural hair/fibre or synthetics (or both)? And why?
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    WOW MUMFIE what a difference you must be so pleased it looks fab airie and clean bet your as glad as me you did it, we're so pleased that we are now looking for an old horrible Island we can paint for the middle of ours too yours looks fab
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    SLOEGIN DON'T LISTEN TO FHE DOUBTERS THEY KNOW NOTHING , my hubby researched ALL this before we did it even our Builders who fitted the tops and we're telling us your making a mistake wouldn't believe we painted it and we're insistent we'd bought the doors! Just use the undercoat we said and make sure you get a good quality EGGSHELL paint (we used F&B) then use a synthetic brush (pay good money for one where the bristles won't come out) then just take your time, no brush strokes, no rollers just good quality eggshell and a good synth brush , ignore them! Everyone said to me in every shop I went to and on every website 'oooo don't TOUCH WOOD' what a load of cods, it looks fab and warming and if you protect it with the CORRECT product will last, so to sum up JUST DO IT GIRL
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    1. Mumfie - ace looking kitchen-additional inspirations!

2. Jam55 - I jolly well shall: I go to the paint merchants for paint and primer tomorrow. Synthetic brushes too.

3. And where in Essex are you? I'm In South Woodham Ferrers - just in case I need to kidnap you for consulting purposes! LOL....
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hockley! Little tip , get some sandwich bags, use your expensive synth brush for finish coat only, instead of cleaning each time wrap sandwich bags around brush nice and tight and Viola nice and moist next time you use, even following day , good luck
  • sloegin
    9 years ago
    That is so bizarre! Only moved here a year ago and discovered Hockley for "First Choice Bathrooms" for my new bathroom. Be afraid of being snatched by a short middle aged woman wearing paint splattered overalls.... Thanks for the sandwich bag tip. Will buy some this afternoon.
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Post before and after pleeeeaaase
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Just a little add on......

It's been a few months now and I've noticed in the high traffic watery areas the shine has slightly came off of the Osmo Wax and a very very slight black is occurring around the taps (as I thought it would)

So! Anyone reading this post and thinking about wood needs to give it at LEAST 4 coats of Osmo around watery high traffic areas, also when mopping water up don't wipe , DAB because it makes the coating last longer.

I slightly sanded with a fine paper and have given it another 2 coats and it looks like showroom again!

So to sum up if you doing this method and decide on wood make sure the water is globules on the surface, once it isn't you need to re apply the Osmo, this is a price I'm willing to pay for my lovely wood but YOU may not be hence the update! Basically every few months check (feel) the smooth shine around traffic areas and just paint more on SIMPLE xx
  • jacki_solea1
    9 years ago
    Hi, just read your whole discussion and am very impressed!! Huge pat on the back. I have a small kitchen then yours, the cupboards are the same so, I am going to paint them too. I have learnt a lot from your project on primers etc, so glad I read it. Couple of questions, did you say the brush didn't leave brush marks? Also, where did you buy your tiles from? Also....I LOVE FARROW & BALL!! Thank you
  • jam55king
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Jacki thanks for the complements the tiles were from an online site called www.tonsoftiles.co.uk very good price good company def recommend them. No if you get a good Nylon brush and take your time it won't leave brush strokes and looks like a factory finish hope this helps
  • mariepaulinehugo
    8 years ago
    The cabinet painted in a dark industrial grey would make a great look....
  • diydian
    8 years ago
    Hey wow your kitchen looks amazing. I really want to do the same thing and have been to look at paint. I hope you don't mind me asking and sorry if you have already said this but how many tins of paint did you use. I have seen they do a 2.5l tin but I noticed you mentioned £20 a tin and that's for the 750ml so am just a little confused with which size you opted for?x
  • Jerzy Skurzynski
    8 years ago
    Sinner 123 primer for painting furniture
  • fionaoneill
    8 years ago

Brilliant! I painted my mantlepiece a few years ago with F&B New white eggshell .. no brushmarks and perfect easytokeep chalky matt finish. Everyone thought I'd got a new fire place ! Am going to do my kitchen now, thanks to you. You are so right , don't believe the doubters , just take your time and do it properly and the finish will be beautiful .

• Josephine Geeson
    8 years ago

Lovely result.

• Ruth Davis
    7 years ago

You most definitely should. I have solid wood doors and the varnish had dulled over time. I rubbed them down lightly, used sealer and then painted them with a lovely pale grey. It was like I had a totally updated kitchen and for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

• Viv Bristow
    7 years ago
    Hi there. Completely agree with everyone, you should paint the cupboards. I really like the colours in this picture as I think that the slightly 'greyer' off white cupboards would tie in well with your beautiful grey tiles. You wouldn't necessarily have to go so light on your worktop as in this picture. The laminate you showed in your third picture is really nice, where is it from? Currently doing my kitchen and trying to find a laminate that I like!
  • roger a
    7 years ago

Solid oak worktops on eBay are cheap and good quality. Just need a rub of oil. A bit late now but I hope the wood was not painted.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.