Should I fill the gaps between original victorian floorboards?
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (6)
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
A clean slate - Victorian living room
Comments (12)Hi. It's a great room and will look even better with the floorboards exposed and the fire reinstated! Victorian houses tend to be able to take on lots of design styles so you could go contemporary,traditional, transitonal, scandi, modern country etc etc. I've struggled to find good images of different design styles specifically in a victorian room though! I would first of all look at every design style and decide what you favour. Then go on to houzz tours and the house to home website and look at their house tours as you are likely to find every style within a Victorian home. I like the way the previous people have highlighted the architecture, although not the colour! I would paint the cornicing and rose a couple of shades darker than the ceiling so to highlight it. I would firstly decide if you want a light or dark scheme. If light, what way does the room face in terms of light as its best to work with the light for paint colour. You could also paint or paper the chimney breast or alcoves to highlight the chimney. I'm not keen on the mid length curtains so depending on design style you could go full length, Roman blinds or shutters....See MoreVictorian Wood Flooring -- Keep or ditch?
Comments (7)The flooring is beautiful but I can see why you would want to cover it if creaky and a bit worn. When you have the basement conversion of your SW11 Clapham home, you’ll also be adding sound proofing and insulation, so I’m sure any team could be happy to amalgimate the works and replace the flooring at the same time. Best of luck with the project! Tara Taylor Project Manager Essex and London Construction, Basements, Extensions and Loft Conversions tara.taylor@essexandlondonconstruction.com www.essexandlondonconstruction.com...See MoreWhat wood flooring for the living room in a Victorian terraced house?
Comments (9)Removing existing pine floorboards, installing plywood and re-installing old pine floorboards would be very unpractical and you would end up with an old pine floor. Then of course you need to sand it, fill the gaps and finish the pine boards. It will be time consuming and expensive. Unless you really like the style of old pine floorboards, I think you should go for a new floor. You can chose between a variety of different styles, colour and materials. If want to go for parquet I suggest to use small herringbone or like 90x360mm or similar as longer planks will look too big in small spaces. Parquet is available in engineered wood, laminate and LVT and prices varies but start from as little as £15 sqm for laminate. Alternatively you may want to look at planks again in laminate, LVT or engineered wood with prices starting again at around £15 sqm. LVT is probably the most durable solution but the subfloor i.e. your old pine boards must be very flat and sound. Engineered wood and laminate both herringbone/chevron and planks can be installed either glued down to your existing floor or over an underlay. Both installation method will take care of draught. Consider lighter tones and the same material throughout if possible. hope this helps...See MoreCarpet or floorboards in hallway
Comments (5)I would never carpet a hall. Bedrooms yes as it’s cosy and living room too. You could have a wooden floor laid over your wooden one in the hall, and the living room too if you wish and it can be lifted if necessary, something like engineered wood or even a laminate. I have laminate in my living room and it is so easy to look after and pretty hardwearing and it was laid over the tatty original floorboards. First picture is laminate and second is engineered wood....See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago



txyellowrose